U20 All Ireland series

Started by Farrandeelin, July 04, 2018, 10:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southderryman

Quote from: MayoBuck on July 14, 2018, 08:16:32 PM
Really entertaining game in Carrick today. Both sides left at least 2 goals behind them. I felt Mayo dominated the first half and only going in a point up after playing with a strong breeze was a worry.

2nd half ebbed and flowed so it was great to come out the right side of the result! We seem to have a bottomless pit of half backs in the county. McLaughlin and Lambert were our standout performers today.
Said that earlier, the 2 wing half backs were excellent

JoG2

Quote from: southderryman on July 14, 2018, 08:26:06 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on July 14, 2018, 08:16:32 PM
Really entertaining game in Carrick today. Both sides left at least 2 goals behind them. I felt Mayo dominated the first half and only going in a point up after playing with a strong breeze was a worry.

2nd half ebbed and flowed so it was great to come out the right side of the result! We seem to have a bottomless pit of half backs in the county. McLaughlin and Lambert were our standout performers today.
Said that earlier, the 2 wing half backs were excellent

Agreed, young McLaughlin was immense today, mother from Derry, father from Donegal!

Hound

Brilliant from Kildare!

Well done, now go win it.

Hard luck Jack

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 14, 2018, 07:47:39 PM
Great display of balls and footballing ability there. Kerry had some serious running power and a favourable referee but they still managed to get the better of them.
YAWN

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

ballinaman

Cracking game of ball in Carrick. Two teams just going at it.
Callum Brown is and will be a phenomenal player. Hard luck to Derry, a very good team.
Mayo have pace everywhere, a much stronger team in every aspect than the one who lost to Kildare in 1/4 final 2 years ago..some key personnel additions too.

illdecide

Quote from: ballinaman on July 15, 2018, 09:05:20 AM
Callum Brown is and will be a phenomenal player. Hard luck to Derry, a very good team.
Mayo have pace everywhere, a much stronger team in every aspect than the one who lost to Kildare in 1/4 final 2 years ago..some key personnel additions too.

I'm watching this now on TG4 and i have to say as a neutral that ref was a disgrace for Derry (not Mayo's fault either). Jasus H Christ he gave Derry nothing. There were 4 or 5 free's in the space of 5 mins in that 2nd half that were baltant free's and gave nothing and then went straight up the field and gave Mayo a very soft penalty. If i was a Derry fan i'd be well pissed with the Ref...but good luck to Mayo, wasn't a bad game.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JoG2

Callum is heading out to Australia by invite for a look about.. Be very interesting to see how that works out. Must ask some Kerry men how they kept young Clifford in Kerry

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: illdecide on July 15, 2018, 01:00:59 PM

I'm watching this now on TG4 and i have to say as a neutral that ref was a disgrace for Derry (not Mayo's fault either). Jasus H Christ he gave Derry nothing. There were 4 or 5 free's in the space of 5 mins in that 2nd half that were baltant free's and gave nothing and then went straight up the field and gave Mayo a very soft penalty. If i was a Derry fan i'd be well pissed with the Ref...but good luck to Mayo, wasn't a bad game.
I Was at the game and sometimes you can get caught up in the heat of the moment but at the time thought that for a 10/15 minute spell in the second half that there were quite a few contentious decisions that didn't go our way , that being said we had the chances to win but didn't take them , as has been said the 2wing half backs from Mayo were superb from start to finish

Dinny Breen

Kildare Minor 2016

1 Luke Mullins

2 John O'Toole

3 Mark Dempsey

4 David Shaw

5 Tony Archbold

6 Jason Gibbons

7 Sam Doran

8 David Marnell

9 Aaron Masterson

10 Jack Robinson

14 Brian McLoughlin

12 Kevin Foley

13 Ciaran Kelly

15 Jimmy Hyland

24 Cian Costigan

Mayo Minor 2016

1 Adam Byrne

2 Seán Kenny

3 Donovan Cosgrove

4 John Cunnane

5 Brian OMalley

6 Matthew Macken

7 John Maughan

8 Colm Murphy

9 Nathan Moran

10 Paul Lambert

11 Conor Stenson

12 Oisín McLaughlin

13 Colm Moran

14 Justin Healy

15 Ryan O'Donoghue

Only 15 starters on Saturday between both teams that played the AI quarter-final two years ago which Kildare won by 6 points, only to go on and lose the semi-final by 22 points to Kerry. From the players above I would love to see Jack Robinson(traveling) involved and not sure what has happened Ciaran Kelly. DH Mup KS?

Kildare 4/7  Mayo 7/4.  PP

Davy Burke is the Kildare manager, cut his cloth in the Dublin Ladies scene and was a selector with the Dublin Senior Ladies. Has also done well with Confey Seniors Men winning Division 1 in Kildare and being very competitive against teams with better resources, traditions and players. Always comes across as a likeable chap in his interviews. Have only seen them in flesh twice this year and never came away thinking they would make it to an All-Ireland final, needless to say neither game was the Kerry or Dublin games, but they have improved with every game, a credit to their attitude and their coaches, I expressed doubts about their ability to win a tight game but they have proved me wrong. Was in Thurles 10 years ago for the AI u21 final when we were beaten by a Tommy Walsh inspired Kerry supported by Killian Young, David Moran, Kieran O'Leary, Johnny Buckley and Shane Enright. Non of that Kildare team from 10 years ago are currently playing senior football with Kildare. 53 years since we won an u21/20 All-Ireland, no pressure lads  :D

#newbridgeornowhere

ballinaman

Jack Robinson played puck that day in Tullamore in 2016.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

ballinaman

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Any chance both county boards can request a more suitable venue for this? I've been to every one of our u20 games but would think bad of going to the final with the dump they are putting it in coupled with having to pay to see a dead rubber also.

Wildweasel74

Had Clifford been playing for Kerry, Kildare would not have beaten Kerry, strangest rule that U-20 playing senior cant play at that age group

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 16, 2018, 08:09:13 PM
Had Clifford been playing for Kerry, Kildare would not have beaten Kerry, strangest rule that U-20 playing senior cant play at that age group

They might have, we were a few points better than them and Mark Dempsey would have marked him this time (he marked Shaw at minor in 2016 and on Saturday but has grown a few inches taller since minor) and I reckon he could do a decent spoiling job on him. It is a sensible rule though.