My thread to pontificate about Protestantism

Started by T Fearon, October 05, 2017, 04:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Normally I'd say northern Tayto is better than Free State Tayto, but today I'm going to argue that Free State Tayto is better. Just to upset Tony.

Boycey

I wonder how long it'll take Tony's stalkers to appear..

Milltown Row2

Watched Andrew Marr the other night on this subject, very interesting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I was at an airport recently and there was what appeared to be a senior citizens outing from donegal sitting there.

One woman said "do protestants believe in saints". The reply "them protestants - they don't even know what they believe in themselves".

Olly

Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Don Johnson

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2017, 06:11:04 PM
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

You are hilarious.

Dash83

I'm not too sure the Pope takes the same view based on some of the things he has been reported as saying. Much less judgemental and prepared to be critical of those within his own church. I doubt he'd have much time for the goings on of some of the practices of the Church at the time of the Reformation

http://www.thejournal.ie/pope-francis-atheist-3256158-Feb2017/

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2017/03/23/hardened-hearts-can-turn-catholics-into-atheists-says-pope-francis/

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on October 05, 2017, 07:04:01 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 05, 2017, 06:47:46 PM
Tony what are the differences in beliefs between  Anglicans, Methodists, Presbyterians and Lutherans?

Subdivisions of heresy, you might as well say what is the difference between the IFA and FAI.
I'll take that as a "Don't know" then ;D :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dec

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2017, 06:11:04 PM
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

Emo Phillips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmeqSzvIFs

Eamonnca1

Thanks! I always wondered what the source was. I first heard it on BBC Talkback many moons ago

Milltown Row2

Catholic Church ripped the arse right out of it! Got what they derserved at the time!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

You have to hand it to their creativity though. Selling indulgences was the medieval equivalent of the Nigerian prince scam and they got away with it. Got a nice big Basilica and Christ knows how much money went into their pockets to spend on whores and drink.

T Fearon

Funnily enough,I heard a young priest,with a rich Scottish accent,celebrate Mass in Newry recently,and he was mad keen on indulgences.

The point is that Luther promoted moving away from catholic doctrines,handed down from the Apostles.

The most bizarre of these is salvation by faith alone.I have heard some so called Protestant evangelicals claim,on the basis of this,that Billy Wright is in heaven because he had faith alone

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2017, 07:59:53 AM
Funnily enough,I heard a young priest,with a rich Scottish accent,celebrate Mass in Newry recently,and he was mad keen on indulgences.

The point is that Luther promoted moving away from catholic doctrines,handed down from the Apostles.

The most bizarre of these is salvation by faith alone.I have heard some so called Protestant evangelicals claim,on the basis of this,that Billy Wright is in heaven because he had faith alone

Would the padeo priest be in heaven based on their faith?

bennydorano

Funny I always thought Protestantism would be a natural house for people who think about things & question 'the establishment', this would likely be 90 odd % of gaaboard.com posters.  Catholics/ Irish Nationalists are culturally programmed in Ireland to view Protestantism (largely because of the UK) as the enemy.