Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Reading interviews and the like over last few weeks in lead up to these Ulster championship games there was a lot of brave talk. I found it arrogant and bit of an insult to insinuate that other Down clubs previously hadn't taken Ulster championship serious when they got that far but yet Rostrevor were out to win the whole thing, All Ireland and all. If youre gonna start talkin the talk youd need to be fit to walk the walk.

Also all this talk of Rostrevor being a rightful Div1 team smacks of serious entitlement. Talk of 2 teams meeting who are masquerading as Div1 teams. You haven't been a Div1 team recently, theres a few reasons for that. I think they could find the going tough when they step up, due to the age profile of some key players, the inexperience of others and also their lack of strength and depth of their panel.
But on the whole a great year for them and they have to be congratulated in winning a championship and gaining promotion. To think that not that long ago they were slagging off their neighbours for celebrating an Intermediate title. Funny that.

Hedgehunter

Quote from: activegael on November 27, 2017, 08:44:37 AM
I heard Bryansford on the market for a new manager -  Burns and thorntan quit last week, players not happy as there's more to it than the reasons given. Must be a major problem in Bryansford.
Won't be long until them two are with someone else.
Any truth in Bernie ruane away to Glenn?

Not a bit of it...

Brick Tamlin

Alan O'Neil to Glenn via Culloville.

downjim

Are there any good local managers in Down? Or are we going to continue to pay over the odds for mercenaries.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: downjim on November 27, 2017, 02:21:35 PM
Are there any good local managers in Down? Or are we going to continue to pay over the odds for mercenaries.

Do you mean 'we' as in Burren (Peter McDonnell, Damian Barton, Frank Dawson, Paddy Carr, Steven McDonnell...am I forgetting anyone)
or 'we' generally?
Who are these mercenaries you speak of Jimothy?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 27, 2017, 02:59:23 PM

Do you mean 'we' as in Burren (Peter McDonnell, Damian Barton, Frank Dawson, Paddy Carr, Steven McDonnell...am I forgetting anyone)
or 'we' generally?
Who are these mercenaries you speak of Jimothy?

Where have Burren's last two managers been from?

thewobbler

I've often wondered this. But then I get round to wondering whether every senior club manager in Tyrone is a miracle worker, or whether the players in that county just want to win championships more, and any goat with a similar drive can do the job. Then I get confused.

Targetman

I know he'll be playing for a while yet but having seen what Conor Laverty has done with Kilcoo at underage I think there's a big future for him in coaching/management, by all accounts he's really clued in, bodes well for Kilcoo

SHEEDY

marty clarke taking up a coaching role with st johns.
nil satis nisi optimum

Targetman

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 27, 2017, 09:14:45 PM
marty clarke taking up a coaching role with st johns.
Big brother probably got him that gig, he's gonna be a busy man doing that and coaching with Cavan under 20's

crice123

Any truth in the rumours of shamrocks lookin for Johnny McCumiskey for manager?

ashman

https://mobile.twitter.com/DownGAAMemories/status/932333716378214400

Boyos and girls

Tommy Howard , Tony David , Ross Carr , Liam Honohan & ??

Any idea ??

Bigben36

Any word on how the Newry Mitchel's meeting went last night. I know our own club Aghaderg had struggled for numbers in recent years, but seem to have recovered, number wise anyway!!

Division 4 could be low on numbers this year. Aughlisnafin didnt play last year, while Ballykinlar were only back last season after a season out. Not sure how successful their return was, as they took plenty of big beatings.

Maiden1

There are no proofs, only opinions.

downjim

If the numbers are low then let seconds teams play in it