James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: laoislad on December 17, 2017, 11:32:19 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on December 17, 2017, 11:26:19 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 17, 2017, 09:27:37 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2017, 08:40:46 PM
Look - Why has this got to turn into a Womens Boxing is shite in order to prove McClean is a more worthy winner?
Taylor is a far more deserving winner. She's the best at what she does. McClean isn't even a very good footballer.  Plenty of heart but let's be honest he is fairly average.
I'd love to see some of you lads get into a boxing ring with Taylor...
the irony of you posting these two statements together  ;D
I'd love to see you playing against McLean.  Average footballer in the EPL, but anyone getting to that level would take the complete piss out of the local sunday league stars.
The difference is I'm only saying McClean is average not the sport he plays. People here are slagging off women's boxing not just Taylor herself. I bet none of them would last a round against any female boxer.
I'd actually pay very good money to see the likes of BennyCake or EC Unique GJL get into a ring with Katie Taylor.
Btw I'd have McClean in my back pocket  8)

Being average at pro mens football is much tougher than been excellent at women's pro boxing.

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on December 19, 2017, 07:04:51 AM
Certainly one of the best players Ireland have had in 15 years. Like a front footed Roy Keane. Sends out an important message that Irish soccer is not a cold house.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/ewan-mackennas-alternative-2017-sports-awards-dud-of-the-year-most-overrated-athlete-and-lifetime-achievement-36428548.html

Recently on Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday, an interesting stat flashed up as they analysed the poor performances of West Brom.

It surrounded James McClean and his 15 Premier League appearances so far this season as, in all of them, he'd yet to score and has yet to so much as muster an assist. But if the panel wanted to delve deeper into his skill-set and slight slump, more damning numbers were out there. Shots on target? Two. Shooting accuracy? Seventeen per cent. Cross accuracy? Twenty-three per cent. Accurate long balls? Three. Passes per game? Less than 10.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

James McClean is far from the best player in the world. But in typical Ewan McKenna fashion, he's ignoring some of the most important bits that make us love sport. The passion (sorry Dinny), the pride, the effort, the knowledge that you gave it everything you had. If I get to choose someone to represent me, I'd choose an honest, hard working player who loved playing for his country and who left absolutely everything he had on the pitch over a more talented but less emotionally invested alternative.

Think about it. Do you love sports because of the aesthetic pleasure of a well executed technical or athletic skill? A perfectly hit free kick, a brilliantly executed catch or a sideline puc, a perfect tight spiral and brilliant catch in the endzone, a lovely backline move and a try in the corner? Is that why you love sports, or is that just an inherent part of the sport itself, rather then the reason we love it? The reason I love sport, from GAA to darts and snooker, is because of the drama, the challenge, the competition, the drive, the beating heart, the energy, the sheer 'want' that we see competitors show. I want to watch sport that makes me feel that the competitors are giving it everything they have in a bid to be the best they can be, and better than the other team/player. I want to feel that they care, that they are more invested in it than the paycheck they'll get out of it. I want to feel it matters to them, because then it matters to me. James McLean makes me think, no, he makes me KNOW it matters to him.

For that, I think he's great.

haranguerer

He's right about one thing at least - the public shouldn't be voting for these awards (or for any awards worth having)

AZOffaly

longballin

Yis were bowing before him after the Wales game  8)

tonto1888

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 22, 2017, 09:10:05 AM
James McClean is far from the best player in the world. But in typical Ewan McKenna fashion, he's ignoring some of the most important bits that make us love sport. The passion (sorry Dinny), the pride, the effort, the knowledge that you gave it everything you had. If I get to choose someone to represent me, I'd choose an honest, hard working player who loved playing for his country and who left absolutely everything he had on the pitch over a more talented but less emotionally invested alternative.

Think about it. Do you love sports because of the aesthetic pleasure of a well executed technical or athletic skill? A perfectly hit free kick, a brilliantly executed catch or a sideline puc, a perfect tight spiral and brilliant catch in the endzone, a lovely backline move and a try in the corner? Is that why you love sports, or is that just an inherent part of the sport itself, rather then the reason we love it? The reason I love sport, from GAA to darts and snooker, is because of the drama, the challenge, the competition, the drive, the beating heart, the energy, the sheer 'want' that we see competitors show. I want to watch sport that makes me feel that the competitors are giving it everything they have in a bid to be the best they can be, and better than the other team/player. I want to feel that they care, that they are more invested in it than the paycheck they'll get out of it. I want to feel it matters to them, because then it matters to me. James McLean makes me think, no, he makes me KNOW it matters to him.

I agree with all this but I do think there would have been more worthy winners. Ryan Burnett for example being one

ashman

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 22, 2017, 10:15:26 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 22, 2017, 09:10:05 AM

I agree with all this but I do think there would have been more worthy winners. Ryan Burnett for example being one

I agree with you on Burnett but he has two problems with getting awards like this .

-  he is a from the north and hasn't exposure here owing to lack of Olympian status .  Barnes and Conlon are much more recognisable to the average punter .

-  most of his fights are on Sky .

thewobbler

Teams often reflect their most important players, and McClean sums up Irish soccer these days. Hardworking and committed, but fundamentally not good enough to compete at a high level, and generally unlikeable.

If that's the yardstick for an individual sporting award, then we have low standards.

seafoid

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the public. Mencken
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

charlieTully

Quote from: thewobbler on December 22, 2017, 10:50:14 AM
Teams often reflect their most important players, and McClean sums up Irish soccer these days. Hardworking and committed, but fundamentally not good enough to compete at a high level, and generally unlikeable.

If that's the yardstick for an individual sporting award, then we have low standards.

He doesn't vote SDLP. Get over it.

SHEEDY

Quote from: charlieTully on December 22, 2017, 11:24:34 AM

I love james mcclean and the way he has the courage to stand up for what he believes in. I love the way he wears his heart on his sleeve when he's playing for ireland and he seems to care as much as the most passionate fan but that doesnt make him the best sports person ireland has produced this year.
nil satis nisi optimum

Minder

As they say his second touch is usually a tackle
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tonto1888

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 22, 2017, 11:52:45 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 22, 2017, 11:24:34 AM

I love james mcclean and the way he has the courage to stand up for what he believes in. I love the way he wears his heart on his sleeve when he's playing for ireland and he seems to care as much as the most passionate fan but that doesnt make him the best sports person ireland has produced this year.

agreed. I think he is a decent footballer but it comes to down to this for me. In a pure footballing sense would I want him to sign for Celtic? The answer to that is no