Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Why wouldnt Malachy O'Rourke be suitable?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 22, 2018, 03:30:41 PM

Think he means Monaghan are miles ahead of Down - like Spurs are West Ham.. Why Would Potchettino/O'Rourke be interested

thewobbler

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 22, 2018, 03:30:41 PM

Because he's currently coaching a committed, talented and well-conditioned group of players in a county where all the clubs and players seem to throw their weight into the cause. A county that has has won a couple of provincial minor titles in recent years. One with excellent, centrally located training facilities which are an easy spin from Dublin.

We, on the other hand, won a couple All Irelands when he was a child.

Brick Tamlin

In my mind he is done with Monaghan and that project will come to an end soon.
By all accounts he was to leave last year. I dont think he can do much more with them.

Pray tell. Whos your recommendation for the job.

thewobbler

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 22, 2018, 03:38:48 PM
In my mind he is done with Monaghan and that project will come to an end soon.
By all accounts he was to leave last year. I dont think he can do much more with them.

Pray tell. Whos your recommendation for the job.

I don't have one. Genuinely don't. I'd prefer it wasn't Banty.

I think you're missing the point about O'Rourke. He's now an elite manager. He has zero affiliation with Down. Know your limits.

downjim

Banty and Lavo are front runners
Pete and McAleenan close begind

Johnny McCumiskey

It will be the 7th of September before the new Down manger will be announced , and he is the only man job

Smurfy123

Dubh driocht

Not sure about Banty but I have faith in the committee to make the right appointment from whoever is available.
From the names in circulation I would go for Tally; he is a proven coach and the Sigerson with St Marys was a remarkable achievement. He seems to have a good relationship with McKernan, who remains an important influence in our squad.
Put people like Benny- or Marty Clarke with his knowledge of top level professional sport - and Conor Laverty alongside him and you have a young and hungry management team who would have the respect of the players and get the best men turning out for the county

whitegoodman

Quote from: Dubh driocht on August 22, 2018, 08:03:32 PM
Not sure about Banty but I have faith in the committee to make the right appointment from whoever is available.
From the names in circulation I would go for Tally; he is a proven coach and the Sigerson with St Marys was a remarkable achievement. He seems to have a good relationship with McKernan, who remains an important influence in our squad.
Put people like Benny- or Marty Clarke with his knowledge of top level professional sport - and Conor Laverty alongside him and you have a young and hungry management team who would have the respect of the players and get the best men turning out for the county

That last paragraph sounds like a good shout.  Laverty might help get a few more of the Kilcoo lads involved as well.  That's the sort of management team I expected the selection committee to come with and I'd be surprised if they picked the likes of Pete or Banty.

Unless they have been overruled, in which case what was the point.

Targetman

Quote from: Johnny McCumiskey on August 22, 2018, 05:58:56 PM
It will be the 7th of September before the new Down manger will be announced , and he is the only man job
Who would be your choice Johnny, I know you're a knowledgeable football man?

on the sideline

From what I heard Tally has it and will be joined by Stephen Beattie(Tyrone) and possibly Gavin McGilly(Armagh) the St. Marys management team that lead them to the Sigerson Cup win - and I'm sure someone/some people from Down itself too.

I think Paul McIvor was/is involved with St. Mary's too and would/could be a possible member of the management set up given he's worked with those men before and his extensive knowledge of the Down club scene from his time with Kilcoo.

JohnStones

Benny is the 4th person. Announcement tomorrow.

Smurfy123

What's the background on the 2 lads? Heard of McGilly won an All Ireland with Moy don't know the other

Smurfy123

Johny are you not going to share the news?