The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: trailer on February 02, 2019, 09:54:01 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 02, 2019, 09:24:01 PM
Murray kept kicking the ball away.
Caveman rugby

Yeah. But when he did give it to the other backs they just ran into tackles and never once looked like breaking the line.

Both points true. England's line speed was excellent. They did defend with 13 players across the field and only 2 at the back . Game was crying for popped balls over the top. Kick chase types instead of aerial bombardment into the flawless May. Irelands kicking game was poor.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 02, 2019, 09:18:30 PM
No point making excuses about Garces. England were much better and Jones had his homework well done. Physical upfront and they obviously fancied Henshaw as vulnerable. Big Dev nearly decapitated somebody and wasn't pulled for it so you give and you take. Ireland aren't a bad team overnight and it's only Game 1 so nobody has won anything yet. Scotland will be no pushovers either so hope for plenty of improvement over the next matches and finish the tournament with everyone healthy.
I'm only logging on now. Haven't read earlier posts but in fairness it would be hard to find one as sensible and informed as this one. Apart possibly from the comment about exploiting Henshaw. In my opinion they recognised Earles as being more vulnerable to the high ball
Careful now

Over the Bar

The myth that Stockdale is the world's best in his position is hard to support.

Gmac

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 03, 2019, 01:38:19 AM
The myth that Stockdale is the world's best in his position is hard to support.
he started out great but faded badly
English line speed in defense killed Ireland and I thought Ireland should have kicked in behind them sometimes to turn them and not let them tee off on us , also Ireland stuck in their own end of the pitch for way too long inviting the English to push right up on us , plus English winning the collisions

Hound

Can't understand the grief Henshaw is getting. He was fine and will improve with every game. Earls was poor, Larmour was no better. Stockdale started really well, but once he made the mistake that cost the try his performance dipped. Ringrose was by miles our best back. Aki very quiet, as was CJ. Sexton mediocre, Murray poor.

Ryan dominated by Itjoe. I thought the latter should have been man of the match.

England treated the match like a cup final. We didn't match their will.

galwayman

Quote from: Hound on February 03, 2019, 07:42:38 AM
Can't understand the grief Henshaw is getting. He was fine and will improve with every game. Earls was poor, Larmour was no better. Stockdale started really well, but once he made the mistake that cost the try his performance dipped. Ringrose was by miles our best back. Aki very quiet, as was CJ. Sexton mediocre, Murray poor.

Ryan dominated by Itjoe. I thought the latter should have been man of the match.

England treated the match like a cup final. We didn't match their will.
Thought Johnny May was exceptional

David McKeown

Ill start this by saying that England where the far superior team and deserved their win so this is not sour grapes at all but yesterday again highlighted why I hate the inconsistent use of technology in sport.  For example the TMO was not used for a matter of fact of decision about a line out near midfield at the end of the first half from their England made a great move and had Ireland pinned deep in seconds ultimately settling for a penalty following a matter of opinion decision being referred to the TMO.  Had the midfield line out gone upstairs its likely Ireland would have had the line out and would have been the team on the attack at the end of the half.  On such things games can change.

Similarly why not go back to analyse whether or not the pass was forward in the build up to the Try why only look at the offside position which unless you have clever graphics to account for the fact the camera is directly in line is unlikely to be particularly accurate. I have no idea whether or not the pass was forward but surely it could and should have been looked at and if it was forward Ireland can feel aggrieved given the crucial point they were at in the match. Again on such things games can change.

Now I am not for a second suggesting that had the TMO been used differently that the result would have been different but its impossible to know what would have happened.  However when the TMO is used to only examine certain things it can lead to massive injustices to teams that were wronged and for me thats enough reason not to use it if its not going to be used for everything.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Tony Baloney

Would agree with that David re. the peculiar approach some refs have to use of the TMO. They have the tech there to make the correct decision which could ultimately impact on who wins the Championship and it is often ignored. French refs seem to have their mind made up.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 03, 2019, 12:50:14 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 02, 2019, 09:18:30 PM
No point making excuses about Garces. England were much better and Jones had his homework well done. Physical upfront and they obviously fancied Henshaw as vulnerable. Big Dev nearly decapitated somebody and wasn't pulled for it so you give and you take. Ireland aren't a bad team overnight and it's only Game 1 so nobody has won anything yet. Scotland will be no pushovers either so hope for plenty of improvement over the next matches and finish the tournament with everyone healthy.
I'm only logging on now. Haven't read earlier posts but in fairness it would be hard to find one as sensible and informed as this one. Apart possibly from the comment about exploiting Henshaw. In my opinion they recognised Earles as being more vulnerable to the high ball
Agree about Earls. Tactical changes aren't all that common so when he was hauled ashore it was obvious he was getting roasted.

Milltown Row2

England dominated from the start, I didn't think they'd be able to keep the intensity up but they did..

Didn't help that Ireland played into their hands with game plan, coupled with the fact that they had their worst day at Headquarters.

Johnny May was the best player yesterday, not sure how he didn't get MOM though I'm sure the ones from a rugby background could explain that!

England kicked the ball more yesterday than I've seen before. Possibly Ireland got England's gameplay wrong and didn't adopt during play.

Anyways was a great late afternoon in the pub and curry afterwards. Roll on Scotland

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Excellent training regime for the new season!!

Solo_run

What is baffling me is that by putting Henshaw in as a fullback every man and his dog knew he was going to be targeted. We literally told England where the teams weakness is and they were happy to exploit it.

Main Street

Quote from: Solo_run on February 03, 2019, 10:41:36 AM
What is baffling me is that by putting Henshaw in as a fullback every man and his dog knew he was going to be targeted. We literally told England where the teams weakness is and they were happy to exploit it.
Did anybody here mention that weakness before the game?

Has kicking the ball to touch or hitting the awkward ball down the sideline gone out of favour in Ireland's game? or was that just an O'Gara specific skill?
England's use of the kicked ball towards touch and into space looked vastly more effective than Ireland's repetitive hit and hope tactics?

johnnycool

Quote from: Rudi on February 03, 2019, 12:31:26 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 02, 2019, 09:54:01 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 02, 2019, 09:24:01 PM
Murray kept kicking the ball away.
Caveman rugby

Yeah. But when he did give it to the other backs they just ran into tackles and never once looked like breaking the line.

Both points true. England's line speed was excellent. They did defend with 13 players across the field and only 2 at the back . Game was crying for popped balls over the top. Kick chase types instead of aerial bombardment into the flawless May. Irelands kicking game was poor.

Was thinking that myself although I'm no Joe Schmitt.

When this great linespead and with 13 across the field surely a wee grubber between two onrushing English men would have got them rethinking that approach rather than keep doing what they expect you to do and lads getting clobbered behind the gain line.

Murray was poor again and not long back from a very long layoff, the decision making and touch aren't there yet.

England played the game of their lives and Ireland as poor as they've been in a good few years so you'd hope that the shoulder to shoulder brigade in the press calm down and let Ireland prepare well for the World Cup as that is all that matters in this rugby year.

highorlow

QuoteBoth points true. England's line speed was excellent. They did defend with 13 players across the field and only 2 at the back .

They were offside most of the time.

This will sound like sour grapes but the ref did everything he could to help England. When was the last time a crooked throw was given in the line out? Cost us 3 points before half time which was crucial. We won a box kick and no ruck got formed but he decides to give England the scrum as the "attacking" team. Try was clearly offside but even the TMO was in on the act. No harm to get a kick up the arse anyhow. Hype was getting too much.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go