Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link

Quote from: johnnycool on October 03, 2023, 02:56:18 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 03, 2023, 02:28:50 PMits a new level of low if they are stalking peoples social media profiles to use for sledging porposes.

This isn't a new thing and it's certainly not specific to Kilcoo, nor Down.

One of our lads was targeted a good few years back against a South Derry team about his ma, girlfriends títs etc etc obviously from SM, it didn't end there and followed on to the Hatfield later that night, but the lad in question got his comeuppance on the Monday morning and wasn't so brave when it was a one-on-one.

Loose lips cause teeth to get knocked out and all that!

club hurling final 2017?

Wildweasel74

Got to admit,I played for years at a lower level, and verbals were very little, outside of a rough city team. But back then, there were many bad fights, my own team a regularly guilty part, maybe it was the fear of getting badly hurt that limited alot of verbals back then.

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on October 03, 2023, 04:10:19 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 03, 2023, 02:56:18 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 03, 2023, 02:28:50 PMits a new level of low if they are stalking peoples social media profiles to use for sledging porposes.

This isn't a new thing and it's certainly not specific to Kilcoo, nor Down.

One of our lads was targeted a good few years back against a South Derry team about his ma, girlfriends títs etc etc obviously from SM, it didn't end there and followed on to the Hatfield later that night, but the lad in question got his comeuppance on the Monday morning and wasn't so brave when it was a one-on-one.

Loose lips cause teeth to get knocked out and all that!

Easily solved in this day and age, equip each player with a microphone.
Camera vests like 👮� 🚓 👮�

Sarcasm, in case Puckoon is reading.

befair

Quote from: 5times5times on October 03, 2023, 10:06:20 AMRacial abuse vs Crossmaglen
Partner + family sledging vs Glen (watch Glass's interview)
Child abuse sledging vs a particular Down referee
Child abuse sledging vs Clonduff
Deceased family member sledging vs Mayobridge

But poor Kilcoo. Always the victims, it's never their fault
The sledging about child abuse is particularly squalid; esp as it's a major concern for the GAA

Milltown Row2

It's something I said I'd try this year and didn't bother, but will certainly give it a go next. Body camera, sure what harm could it do? Would certainly produce some red faces at a CCC meeting and clear up any issues with regards to players actions, and ref's  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2023, 11:28:46 PMIt's something I said I'd try this year and didn't bother, but will certainly give it a go next. Body camera, sure what harm could it do? Would certainly produce some red faces at a CCC meeting and clear up any issues with regards to players actions, and ref's  ;D

Give me a shout, our crowd sell them, I'll do a swap for a few hearing aids!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on October 04, 2023, 08:18:33 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2023, 11:28:46 PMIt's something I said I'd try this year and didn't bother, but will certainly give it a go next. Body camera, sure what harm could it do? Would certainly produce some red faces at a CCC meeting and clear up any issues with regards to players actions, and ref's  ;D

Give me a shout, our crowd sell them, I'll do a swap for a few hearing aids!

Yeah be interested in trialling it, your hearing should be grand lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Would ye whist

To be fair MR2 I think that is a great idea, Iphone inside a crossbody holder, as you said will make players, management etc think twice

samuel maguire

In fairness i bet nearly all of us have said something on the football field in the heat of the moment (f**k off ye fat bastard, hows your mother, nice hair cut etc) but to take it over the line and resort to mocking child abuse, skin colour, religion etc is another cattle of fish.

After all is said and done i could sit down with nearly every signle opposition player ive played againist and have a pint if it came to it. How many of the Kilcoo lads can say that? Are they and their familes not embarrassed of their actions? What will they do once football has finished and they are still know as 'your man who knocked someones teeth out with a blind sided punch', or 'the man who mocked child abuse'.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: samuel maguire on October 06, 2023, 09:39:54 AMIn fairness i bet nearly all of us have said something on the football field in the heat of the moment (f**k off ye fat bastard, hows your mother, nice hair cut etc) but to take it over the line and resort to mocking child abuse, skin colour, religion etc is another cattle of fish.

After all is said and done i could sit down with nearly every signle opposition player ive played againist and have a pint if it came to it. How many of the Kilcoo lads can say that? Are they and their familes not embarrassed of their actions? What will they do once football has finished and they are still know as 'your man who knocked someones teeth out with a blind sided punch', or 'the man who mocked child abuse'.

100% agree with this. Have often bumped into lads who I've literally stood toe to toe fighting with and we laughed about it. I have sat with lads drinking pints,  and now playing Dads and Lads stuff it's great to reminisce with lads. I wonder will that be the case in 20 years time for lads playing now in general....

imtommygunn

The best one ever was when we were hammering a "townie" team and one of them turned round and said - "what do you even do at weekends? go to barn dances?"  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 06, 2023, 01:37:30 PMThe best one ever was when we were hammering a "townie" team and one of them turned round and said - "what do you even do at weekends? go to barn dances?"  ;D

Chip eaters and Frankies!!!

JimStynes

Why does it seem this sort of stuff is worse in the North? GAA seems a lot more intense and parochial in the North than is does down south.

Armagh18

Quote from: samuel maguire on October 06, 2023, 09:39:54 AMIn fairness i bet nearly all of us have said something on the football field in the heat of the moment (f**k off ye fat bastard, hows your mother, nice hair cut etc) but to take it over the line and resort to mocking child abuse, skin colour, religion etc is another cattle of fish.

Nail on head. I've called lads every name under the sun in the heat of the moment but have always been able to look them in the eye at the end if the game, shake their hand and if the opportunity is there have a pint with them. As much as I respect and admire what those Kilcoo men have achieved, the dark arts shite they get up to is disgusting.

Wildweasel74

The one about asking how u ma, after she was recently buried seems a particularly bad one, I think if it been said to me, the lad been half kilt, Ref or no ref. And probably would been taken farther off the pitch. Maybe it just the type of people we were, something thing like that I wouldn't let pass.