JP McManus - Christmas comes early

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 24, 2018, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Quote from: Therealdonald on September 25, 2018, 01:09:56 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on September 25, 2018, 01:02:21 AM
Irish billionaire JP McManus 'has paid no tax in Ireland for 20 years'

Irish billionaire JP McManus has paid no income tax or capital gains tax in Ireland for the past 20 years, an official Revenue statement shows.

McManus "has not been registered for income tax or capital gains tax in Ireland since 1995," Revenue said in a statement reported by the Sunday Times.

McManus, who is regarded as the 11th richest person in Ireland, with assets just under €1.1billion, lives for part of the year in a €20million mansion near Kilmallock, Co Limerick.

The statement was included in court filings from the United States Inland Revenue Service, which is fighting an application by McManus to recoup €4.6million in taxes it held back after he won $17.4million playing backgammon with a fellow American billionaire.

McManus became tax-resident in Switzerland in the 1990s.

Under Revenue rules, he is not regarded as domiciled in Ireland if he is not in the state for 183 days or more during a year.

https://www.newstalk.com/Irish-billionaire-JP-McManus-has-paid-no-tax-in-Ireland-for-20-years

Is he doing anything different than what we would do in the same position?? Get a grip folks. PR stunt or not, its a nice gesture. My club will be very glad of it

The next time a GAA player waits for hours to be seen in a hospital, or has to pay towards the upkeep of their local school
they can take comfort in the fact that JP pays nothing towards these services but threw them a few pounds to their club.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Milltown Row2

Typically the topic goes way off!

anyone who's self employed will try and cook the books to ensure they don't pay as much tax, Christ anyone who's got a sum of money from a job they did and got cash in hand and didn't declare it is in the same bracket as JP, difference being he's more money..

the problem doesn't lie with JP on avoiding tax, the problem lies with those who set the laws in relation to claiming tax off Irish citizens.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

I could laugh at the slabbering about him not paying tax when every one of us would play the system and use the best accountants available to avoid paying tax if we were in his position.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bannside

I wonder how many clubs will refuse to accept the offer as a matter of principle lol?

Syferus

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 25, 2018, 08:04:24 AM
I could laugh at the slabbering about him not paying tax when every one of us would play the system and use the best accountants available to avoid paying tax if we were in his position.

Try not to project your faulty morals on others.

Milltown Row2

Anyways we could do with the money, thanks JP..

Will we have to pay tax on that or is it a gift  ;) ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebar

Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2018, 08:39:20 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 25, 2018, 08:04:24 AM

Try not to project your faulty morals on others.

He got the better of you Syferus :)

Rossfan

Quote from: bannside on September 25, 2018, 08:37:56 AM
I wonder how many clubs will refuse to accept the offer as a matter of principle lol?
Galbally ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

iorras

I wouldn't pay tax either to the shower of gobshites we have governing us (and in opposition) if I could get away with it.
What the f do I pay tax for? Live in the country so:
Water - no service, have my own well
Sewage - no service, septic tank
Fire Service - want a grand if you call them out
Gardaí - good luck, they once got called when I had a monitored alarm at 10 AM and rang me at 5 to see "if everything was allright there"
Roads - pay separate road tax and VRT on that for two cars. Roads are still in shite and I'm sure I replace one tyre a year on each car directly related to potholes
Refuse Collection - pay for it myself
Public transport - good luck, 7 miles to the nearest bus stop
Schools - school always looking for handouts and "contributions"
School transport - pay for it, and if there was a child with a medical card on the route we'd be fecked off it because we pay. Fact.
Health Service - pay for me own health insurance
and 50 cents out of every euro goes to the clowns up above for all of the above "services".
yeah I know, shouldn't have built in the country, blah de blah. But we cant all live in Dublin, someone has to try and balance the country out so it doesn't tip over into the Oirish Sea

So hes dead right not to be paying tax to them shower of wasters so they can keep beardy trade union wasters in jobs. <End of Rant>

I wonder how Galway will invest their bit?

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on September 25, 2018, 12:03:52 AM
PR gobshitery from McManus.

The little people are easily bought off with transparently empty gestures which are designed to gloss over his massive tax avoidance.

Robber barons like McManus are the problem with capitalism.

Whilst I entirely agree with you I do think there are double standards at play WRT paying tax in the South where JP is rightly frowned upon for not paying his dues, but the likes of Apple, Microsoft or whoever pay very little either and even when we're forced by the EU to bill them for €Billions we don't want to do that for some greater good.

€3.2million is small change to JP but welcome by every club in the land I'd have thought.

Dinny Breen

As always it's very to live by your moral, values and ethics than it is to write about them.

JP is an interesting one, well know for avoiding direct tax but does he do enough indirectly, his foundation has supported close to €40m in community projects around Limerick.

He has over 100 horses in training in Ireland, the average training fee is €15000 per year. Another €15m that goes towards the economy indirectly per year, that doesn't include winnings of which a percentage goes to trainer, jockey and yard staff. He spends millions buying and selling horses, helping to pay and support the industry around that also.

His contributions to Limerick GAA, Munster Rugby and other sports around Limerick run into the millions.

I am sure there is other philanthropy going on in the backgorund oblivious to us all.

He's very much a global business man who makes his money on the global market, the US and the UK are probably much more entitled to those taxes than Ireland. He just epitomises the good and the bad about capitalism but to me he still has a sense of responsibility to his community.
#newbridgeornowhere

sid waddell

Quote from: johnnycool on September 25, 2018, 09:50:58 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 25, 2018, 12:03:52 AM
PR gobshitery from McManus.

The little people are easily bought off with transparently empty gestures which are designed to gloss over his massive tax avoidance.

Robber barons like McManus are the problem with capitalism.

Whilst I entirely agree with you I do think there are double standards at play WRT paying tax in the South where JP is rightly frowned upon for not paying his dues, but the likes of Apple, Microsoft or whoever pay very little either and even when we're forced by the EU to bill them for €Billions we don't want to do that for some greater good.

€3.2million is small change to JP but welcome by every club in the land I'd have thought.
"We?"

The EU are dead right.

Global tax avoidance is the biggest problem with capitalism.

sid waddell

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 25, 2018, 09:51:17 AM
As always it's very to live by your moral, values and ethics than it is to write about them.

JP is an interesting one, well know for avoiding direct tax but does he do enough indirectly, his foundation has supported close to €40m in community projects around Limerick.

He has over 100 horses in training in Ireland, the average training fee is €15000 per year. Another €15m that goes towards the economy indirectly per year, that doesn't include winnings of which a percentage goes to trainer, jockey and yard staff. He spends millions buying and selling horses, helping to pay and support the industry around that also.

His contributions to Limerick GAA, Munster Rugby and other sports around Limerick run into the millions.

I am sure there is other philanthropy going on in the backgorund oblivious to us all.

He's very much a global business man who makes his money on the global market, the US and the UK are probably much more entitled to those taxes than Ireland. He just epitomises the good and the bad about capitalism but to me he still has a sense of responsibility to his community.
Sure that's straight of the 1920s robber barons' handbook.

The "libertarian" "tax is theft" nonsense, that essential services should be at the mercy of the charity of the rich rather than be funded by a proper redistributive tax system.

I would have hoped that people had moved beyond this simplistic nonsense. It's the kind of thing you expect to hear from anti-"gub'mint" nut jobs in the US.

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on September 25, 2018, 10:09:39 AM

The "libertarian" "tax is theft" nonsense, that essential services should be at the mercy of the charity of the rich rather than be funded by a proper redistributive tax system.

I would have hoped that people had moved beyond this simplistic nonsense. It's the kind of thing you expect to hear from anti-"gub'mint" nut jobs in the US.

He  doesn't run his business from here and he's not tax-resident here. Should every emigrant be screwed by the Irish Revenue just because they'd the balls to succeed abroad?

iorras

Quote from: five points on September 25, 2018, 10:27:50 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 25, 2018, 10:09:39 AM

He  doesn't run his business from here and he's not tax-resident here. Should every emigrant be screwed by the Irish Revenue just because they'd the balls to succeed abroad?
Well the good ole IRS want US citizens to file tax returns with them annually no matter where they live and if its over a certain amount will take a cut even after you have paid tax to the local gang wherever you live.