JP McManus - Christmas comes early

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 24, 2018, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Exceptional gesture from one man, no matter how much he has or where it came from.

trileacman

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 24, 2018, 08:48:30 PM
Exceptional gesture from one man, no matter how much he has or where it came from.

Agreed.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

Quote from: trileacman on September 24, 2018, 09:30:39 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 24, 2018, 08:48:30 PM

Agreed.

Exactly. No onus or obligation on him to do it. He's been a Godsend to Limerick GAA and he's putting his own money into it. To turn around and make this gesture is very very sound of him. Our own club will receive 1388 and while it's not going to do mad things, that's the price of a set of jerseys or 20 dozen sliotars or a well stocked first aid kit for all the teams. It's stuff you'd have to buy anyway as incidentals in keeping going, so even in a little way like that its very welcome.

give her dixie

How much tax does JP pay each year on his earnings?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Milltown Row2

Quote from: give her dixie on September 24, 2018, 10:31:40 PM

I wonder how many pyjamas he has  :o

There's always one, probably same amount as Bono.

Great gesture and and a man who loves his GAA club and county, I heard a story when his club South Liberties were in the semifinals of the club championships (we were in the other semi) that he was going to give the players x amount of money as an extra incentive to get to the finals.

Must be great having a big investor belonging to your club

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

give her dixie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2018, 11:05:12 PM

Great gesture and and a man who loves his GAA club and county, I heard a story when his club South Liberties were in the semifinals of the club championships (we were in the other semi) that he was going to give the players x amount of money as an extra incentive to get to the finals.

Most be great having a big investor belonging to your club

If Bono was to make the same offer would people feel the same way as they do to JP?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: give her dixie on September 24, 2018, 11:29:08 PM

If Bono was to make the same offer would people feel the same way as they do to JP?

Who actually gives a shit? The man has given every county this sum of money that is very much needed. He didn't have to.

Now if you have something to say about the thread say it, or if you'd like to have a go at him, then start up another thread on JP and what tax he pays,  otherwise we'll be talking about The Gazza Strip and Trump and who blew up the twin towers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

I'd trust JP McManus to spend his money more wisely in Ireland through his various charities than I'd trust the Irish Government if he paid it to them in taxes.
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

Nice gesture and welcome to local clubs and am sure he gives alot to charity but some organisations am sure could better spend the money

give her dixie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2018, 11:37:18 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on September 24, 2018, 11:29:08 PM

Who actually gives a shit? The man has given every county this sum of money that is very much needed. He didn't have to.

Now if you have something to say about the thread say it, or if you'd like to have a go at him, then start up another thread on JP and what tax he pays,  otherwise we'll be talking about The Gazza Strip and Trump and who blew up the twin towers

The man is a billionaire who hasn't paid income tax or capital gains tax in Ireland for 20 years.

While i'm happy to see clubs in our county get about £2,000 each, I would much rather see him pay his way in relation to
tax going towards hospitals and schools the same way as the ordinary working people do each week, people who in fact pay more tax than JP does each year.

sid waddell

PR gobshitery from McManus.

The little people are easily bought off with transparently empty gestures which are designed to gloss over his massive tax avoidance.

Robber barons like McManus are the problem with capitalism.

Therealdonald

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 24, 2018, 11:41:51 PM
I'd trust JP McManus to spend his money more wisely in Ireland through his various charities than I'd trust the Irish Government if he paid it to them in taxes.

Exactly Benny. See the begrudgers down below. McManus built a stadium for Christ sake.

sid waddell

Quote from: Therealdonald on September 25, 2018, 12:12:40 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 24, 2018, 11:41:51 PM

Exactly Benny. See the begrudgers down below. McManus built a stadium for Christ sake.
McManus certainly begrudges paying taxes for healthcare, housing and education, things which actually benefit people far more than a PR stunt like this will, so one could very fairly say he's the ultimate begrudger.

give her dixie

Irish billionaire JP McManus 'has paid no tax in Ireland for 20 years'

Irish billionaire JP McManus has paid no income tax or capital gains tax in Ireland for the past 20 years, an official Revenue statement shows.

McManus "has not been registered for income tax or capital gains tax in Ireland since 1995," Revenue said in a statement reported by the Sunday Times.

McManus, who is regarded as the 11th richest person in Ireland, with assets just under €1.1billion, lives for part of the year in a €20million mansion near Kilmallock, Co Limerick.

The statement was included in court filings from the United States Inland Revenue Service, which is fighting an application by McManus to recoup €4.6million in taxes it held back after he won $17.4million playing backgammon with a fellow American billionaire.

McManus became tax-resident in Switzerland in the 1990s.

Under Revenue rules, he is not regarded as domiciled in Ireland if he is not in the state for 183 days or more during a year.

https://www.newstalk.com/Irish-billionaire-JP-McManus-has-paid-no-tax-in-Ireland-for-20-years

Therealdonald

Quote from: give her dixie on September 25, 2018, 01:02:21 AM
Irish billionaire JP McManus 'has paid no tax in Ireland for 20 years'

Irish billionaire JP McManus has paid no income tax or capital gains tax in Ireland for the past 20 years, an official Revenue statement shows.

McManus "has not been registered for income tax or capital gains tax in Ireland since 1995," Revenue said in a statement reported by the Sunday Times.

McManus, who is regarded as the 11th richest person in Ireland, with assets just under €1.1billion, lives for part of the year in a €20million mansion near Kilmallock, Co Limerick.

The statement was included in court filings from the United States Inland Revenue Service, which is fighting an application by McManus to recoup €4.6million in taxes it held back after he won $17.4million playing backgammon with a fellow American billionaire.

McManus became tax-resident in Switzerland in the 1990s.

Under Revenue rules, he is not regarded as domiciled in Ireland if he is not in the state for 183 days or more during a year.

https://www.newstalk.com/Irish-billionaire-JP-McManus-has-paid-no-tax-in-Ireland-for-20-years

Is he doing anything different than what we would do in the same position?? Get a grip folks. PR stunt or not, its a nice gesture. My club will be very glad of it