The Milk Cup?

Started by Farrandeelin, August 01, 2014, 09:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: theskull1 on July 29, 2015, 02:35:09 PM
This isnt a black and white issue GL so stop trying to make it one. No one is saying that the milk cup should or shouldn't be supported and promoted. It absolutely should. The discussion is around how there is a perception of a lack of fairness in regard to exposure and promotion by tax funded bodies. Is it wrong to discuss and try to understand if there any foundation to those perceptions?
Look at the post directly before mine; if that isn't making it a black and white issue then I dunno. My perception is that soccer here is every bit as popular as GAA. If the GAA had an equivalent of the Milk Cup, which it doesn't, I'd be the first man calling for it to have equal standing. Same for rugby or any other sport for that matter. Do you honestly think The Milk Cup is being exposed to the detriment of the GAA? If it's a general soccer v GAA coverage argument i would probably agree with you, but the international status and prestige of this particular event vindicates it's coverage Imo.

*For the record I'd  like it to be known that I wouldn't go to the back door to watch any of it

cockahoop

i am a father of two boys who both play soccer and one is playing this week in the milk cup and both played in last weeks foyle cup,Gaelic football is the number one choice with the boys and of course myself but soccer is very quickly catching up in popularity and the simple reason is organisation.In Gaa underage in derry you are not sure from one week to the next if and when you play,one of our best club minor teams has played something like 4 or 5 matches all year!! and dont get me started the effect of this negative crap that's being played by county teams is having.
My kids are guaranteed a match every Saturday rain hail or shine,the refs are very good (underage refs in Derry are desperate) and always turn up,if a match is scheduled for 2pm it will start at 2pm,not 2.10,2.20 ....We may gripe about the coverage it gets but they have earned that by how well it is organised and promoted,IMO the Gaa in some counties take for granted they are the top sport in there particular county but eventually this attitude will have a serious detriment on playing numbers in the future.

tyrone girl

Massive difference imo in the number of lads playing soccer now and maybe edging more towards it than gaelic.
Our lads all played gaelic but when one was getting good at the soccer it was presenting massive opportunities for him and i suppose for other lads seeing that who have the interest it pushes them that way too.

Keyser soze

Well I certainly agree with a lot of what cockahoop is saying in terms of organisation and fair play to his lads playing a bit of soccer and doing well at it. The organisation of underage GAA in Derry is a complete joke.

However my quibble with the organisation of soccer versus Gaelic is the way in which they are publicised and funded. How many soccer matches would be played if public funds weren't providing the playing spaces for them? I would hazard that it would be a grand total of none quite frankly as there are a miniscule number of clubs that own their own ground. Why should the public purse pay to provide soccer grounds and not Gaelic grounds?

In terms of publicity I read the News Letter most days for a laugh. Today in theor sports section they had a 2 page spread on pigeon racing, [I kid you not] another page on cricket, a few pieces on bowls. There wasn't a mention of GAA at all in their coverage. Now that is fair enough as it is up to any paper to print what it thinks its readers want. But that does not wash for a public service broadcaster such as the BBC and i think it is obvious they have a similar attiude to the GAA as the Newsletter does. In particular their treatment of the Milk Cup shows the bias they have towards any sport that is not GAA. the success of their efforts is obvious on here by the number of people who are proclaiming this to be a world class event. It's not. It's a crowd of wains running after a ball on a pitch that the soccer authorities havent paid a brass farthing for.

theskull1

Quote from: tyrone girl on July 29, 2015, 05:25:21 PM
Massive difference imo in the number of lads playing soccer now and maybe edging more towards it than gaelic.
Our lads all played gaelic but when one was getting good at the soccer it was presenting massive opportunities for him and i suppose for other lads seeing that who have the interest it pushes them that way too.

What were the massive opportunities presented to him TG?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

6th sam

Quote from: theskull1 on July 29, 2015, 05:49:53 PM

I think on average there are more likely to be opportunities in Gaa than soccer.. In terms of financial reward only a very tiny percentage of soccer players here will earn a living from the sport, and that's for a relatively short time, and away from these shores. From a GAA perspective every committed player is guaranteed a return. A number will get educational, travel and employment opportunities, and all those committed are guaranteed the lifelong benefit of being part of their community for generations. It is in this regard that GAA blows every other sport out of the water. However it is because of this sustainable sense of community and county affiliation and the absolute quality of our sports, that we don't have to work hard on aspects of organisation, marketing , and funding rights. In my experience within the GAA hinterlands, players will almost always choose GAA, but in other areas where GAA has to compete for hearts and minds, our organisation , marketing and lobbying for funding has to be much better.

JoG2

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 29, 2015, 05:27:11 PM
Well I certainly agree with a lot of what cockahoop is saying in terms of organisation and fair play to his lads playing a bit of soccer and doing well at it. The organisation of underage GAA in Derry is a complete joke.

However my quibble with the organisation of soccer versus Gaelic is the way in which they are publicised and funded. How many soccer matches would be played if public funds weren't providing the playing spaces for them? I would hazard that it would be a grand total of none quite frankly as there are a miniscule number of clubs that own their own ground. Why should the public purse pay to provide soccer grounds and not Gaelic grounds?

In terms of publicity I read the News Letter most days for a laugh. Today in theor sports section they had a 2 page spread on pigeon racing, [I kid you not] another page on cricket, a few pieces on bowls. There wasn't a mention of GAA at all in their coverage. Now that is fair enough as it is up to any paper to print what it thinks its readers want. But that does not wash for a public service broadcaster such as the BBC and i think it is obvious they have a similar attiude to the GAA as the Newsletter does. In particular their treatment of the Milk Cup shows the bias they have towards any sport that is not GAA. the success of their efforts is obvious on here by the number of people who are proclaiming this to be a world class event. It's not. It's a crowd of wains running after a ball on a pitch that the soccer authorities havent paid a brass farthing for.

Do you go out of your way to get offended?  Funding for the Milk Cup and GAA coverage in the Newsletter....sweet jesus but your stress levels can't be good

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on July 28, 2015, 10:52:22 PM
Michaelg what happened at the Final? The terraces were reminiscent of Windsor Park in Nivember 1993,only it was a bunch of young Dublin teenagers that were subject to vile sectarian abuse.
Were you at the match?

T Fearon

No.But it was reported on all news media,including TV footage.Do you seriously think any Glasgow Celtic team could play in Coleraine or Ballymena without a "reaction"?

bannside

Sad but true. Thankfully Celtic youths have plenty of big youth tournaments to choose from all over Europe.

tyrone girl

Quote from: theskull1 on July 29, 2015, 05:49:53 PM

Well a lot more opportunity than the Gaelic was presenting for him. He was able to go play for Northern Ireland, sign a contract in England, move there to play professionally and travel to a load of different countries to play. Hes only turned 17 and is doing what he loves and travelled all over the place. They are massive opportunities for a lad from over here in my opinion anyway.

Keyser soze

Quote from: JoG2 on July 29, 2015, 08:37:01 PM

In terms of publicity I read the News Letter most days for a laugh. Today in their sports section they had a 2 page spread on pigeon racing, [I kid you not] another page on cricket, a few pieces on bowls. There wasn't a mention of GAA at all in their coverage. Now that is fair enough as it is up to any paper to print what it thinks its readers want. But that does not wash for a public service broadcaster such as the BBC and i think it is obvious they have a similar attiude to the GAA as the Newsletter does. In particular their treatment of the Milk Cup shows the bias they have towards any sport that is not GAA. the success of their efforts is obvious on here by the number of people who are proclaiming this to be a world class event. It's not. It's a crowd of wains running after a ball on a pitch that the soccer authorities havent paid a brass farthing for.

Do you go out of your way to get offended?  Funding for the Milk Cup and GAA coverage in the Newsletter....sweet jesus but your stress levels can't be good

My stress levels are quite obviously much better than your comprehension!

The News Letter reference was merely used to illustrate a determined attitude amongst a large swathe of the population to steadfastly ignore the GAA as if it doesn't exist, and big up anything that reinforces the unionist hegemony. An unfortunate viewpoint that is clearly held by many influential figures in the BBC NI sports dept. It's not quite the 'IRA at play' anymore but it is only slowly moving away from that IMO.

Do you think it is ok for a local council to provide and maintain scores of pitches for one sport and the grand total of zero pitches for another equally popular one. It's hardly a level playing field now is it?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 30, 2015, 09:40:10 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 29, 2015, 08:37:01 PM

In terms of publicity I read the News Letter most days for a laugh. Today in their sports section they had a 2 page spread on pigeon racing, [I kid you not] another page on cricket, a few pieces on bowls. There wasn't a mention of GAA at all in their coverage. Now that is fair enough as it is up to any paper to print what it thinks its readers want. But that does not wash for a public service broadcaster such as the BBC and i think it is obvious they have a similar attiude to the GAA as the Newsletter does. In particular their treatment of the Milk Cup shows the bias they have towards any sport that is not GAA. the success of their efforts is obvious on here by the number of people who are proclaiming this to be a world class event. It's not. It's a crowd of wains running after a ball on a pitch that the soccer authorities havent paid a brass farthing for.

My stress levels are quite obviously much better than your comprehension!

The News Letter reference was merely used to illustrate an determined attitude amongst a large swathe of the population to steadfastly ignore the GAA as if it doesn't exist, and big up anything that reinforces the unionist hegemony. An unfortunate viewpoint that is clearly held by many influential figure in the BBC NI sports dept. It's not quite the 'IRA at play' anymore but it is only slowly moving away from that IMO.

Do you think it is ok for a local council to provide and maintain scores of pitches for one sport and the grand total of zero pitches for another equally popular one. It's hardly a level playing field now is it?

The Irish News whilst they don't ignore local soccer they don't exact cover it in all it's 'glory' which is understandable as their market research shows their readers aren't interested. BBC NI sports I don't get the criticism really, they showd every Ulster game this year (except Derry/Donegal) and provide decent coverage of GAA.

Back to the main point, the Milk Cup is a superbly run competition and a great opportunity for many young fellas to display their skills at a high international junior level.

Keyser soze

Well sure the Irish News can cover whatwever it likes, if you don't like it, don't buy it.  The BBC however must be paid for if one has a TV and must therefore be held to a higher standard of impartiality.

They are providing god knows how much coverage to this tournament, there would be more people at a decent club match than would attned the whole thing, with the exception of when Man Utd were playing or for the final.  For the vast majority of games there wouldnt be 2 men and his dog at it.

A high international standard?? Wtf? Ghana????

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 30, 2015, 10:02:16 AM
Well sure the Irish News can cover whatwever it likes, if you don't like it, don't buy it.  The BBC however must be paid for if one has a TV and is must therefore be held to a higher standard of impartiality.

They are providing god knows how much coverage to this tournament, there would be more people at a decent club match than would attned the whole thing, with the exception of when Man Utd were playing or for the final.  For the vast majority of games there wouldnt be 2 men and his dog at it.

A high international standard?? Wtf? Ghana????

Sure Ghana is a hotbed of quality players like Asamoah Gyan and the Ayew's. BBC do a good job in my opinion and have came on leaps and bounds in the last few years. The Ulster Club really should have some sort of TV coverage though.