The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

could you start a different thread, one i won't read!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

pintsofguinness

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 13, 2010, 11:15:40 AM
Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2010, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 12:58:06 AMEnniskillen should not have happened

The ultimate mealy-mouthed weasel phrase. Almost makes me puke, to be frank, every time I hear it. Defend the indefensible, if you must, but don't try to have it both ways.

Unfortunately, I missed the Adams interview. I fell asleep listening to Jackson. I'd never seen or heard him out of character before. I was disappointed to find that, as with so many actors, there doesn't seem to be anyone in there. Perhaps a harsh judgement based on ten minutes of a trivia show, but anyway.

The <shudder> Wolfe Tones woke me with a horrible fright from a nightmare of being in an amplified hen house with a fleet of foxes running amok. But I was soon sleeping like a baby again when the cacophony stopped.

You should be posting that on the "You know you're getting old thread..." ;D
When you're falling alseep in front of the late late show on a Friday night you may forget it....
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Nally Stand

So once again you refuse to accept that the IRA weren't going out to bomb civilians day in day out? It's not a matter of opinion Hardy, history shows the IRA's targets were in the vast majority, military and financial. The same cannot be said for britain's targets. Yet those who fought back, like they did in the tan war, were just blood thirsty psychopaths?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

leenie

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 01:16:36 PM
P.s. Don't run away. I challenged you to consider for a second that the IRA's campaign was not daily "Enniskillens" but was essentially aimed at military targets. To call the IRA campaign a "murder campaign of women and children" is pathetic anti republican propaganda and rhetoric that Willy Frazer would be proud of.

Grow up. This isn't a schoolyard. "Run away"! Anyway, the day I run away from an argument with a provo sympathiser is the day I c**k up my toes. To be honest, though, I'm tired of arguing with you. It's the same old sad pathetic shite I've listened to for forty years. And I can't win, because I have the wrong address.

"It wasn't daily Enniskillens"! Listen to yourself.

I leave where I came in. "It shouldn't have happened" is one of the most mealy-mouthed weasel phrases I can imagine. It would be good if the provos and their sympathisers at least had the decency to admit what they're defending instead of trying this pathetic get-out.

ziggysego

Did anyone else cringe when Samuel L. Jackson was about to announce the winner and Tubrity asked for the envelope off him as he wanted to.

Jesus it was bad. Samuel gave him a wile look.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Zapatista on February 13, 2010, 12:54:40 PM
Quote from: Sandino on February 13, 2010, 12:34:10 PM
This was shown be the crowd last night. Where do people gain souch knowledge, from RTE or the BBC.

The round of applause tuffers got last night reminded me of Q&A a few years back. They were talking about British torture of Iraqi prisoners (the pictures printed by the mirror which turned out to be false). Mary Lou McDonald said she wasn't surprised as they have a history even in Ireland in recent times. Some Gobshite politicans (can't remeber which one but think it was FG for some reason) lashed into her saying it was an absolute disgrace that she should make such comparisons (the comparison being torture of prisoners in Ireland with torture of prisoners in Iraq). He got a round of applause for it. I couldn't believe it. For some reason torture was accepted in Ireland by the Irish but not acceptable in iraq by the Irish. Right then I knew the Irish would never hold the British to account for their actions inc Dublin and Monaghan. Even more disturbing they will defend them.
It comes from a mixture of self loathing, lack of a backbone that Ireland has and a "I'm alright jack" attitude.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Nally Stand

And I once again ask you where it was defended. I defend the right of the IRA to fight back, like they did in the Tan War. You have not answered my question, if the IRA were just murdering nutcases, what were the british aggressors? Or how would you define their campaign? And hardy, people's views are shaped by their experiences. Those who experienced them can speak with more authority on the topic in question than those with zero experience. It's common sense so stop playing the martyr.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

leenie

Quote from: ziggysego on February 13, 2010, 01:31:19 PM
Did anyone else cringe when Samuel L. Jackson was about to announce the winner and Tubrity asked for the envelope off him as he wanted to.

Jesus it was bad. Samuel gave him a wile look.

yes ...... and when tubrity said "don't make me come over there"...... seriously tubrity..... CRINGALITIOUS!

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 01:37:03 PM
And I once again ask you where it was defended. I defend the right of the IRA to fight back, like they did in the Tan War. You have not answered my question, if the IRA were just murdering nutcases, what were the british aggressors? Or how would you define their campaign? And hardy, people's views are shaped by their experiences. Those who experienced them can speak with more authority on the topic in question than those with zero experience. It's common sense so stop playing the martyr.

I meant to go, but you couldn't make this up! Who exactly is playing the martyr card here?

Just because I'm fascinated by the squirming, can I ask you again - how does he British army/RUC/loyalist murder campaign justify murdering families in Enniskillen? In what way is this "fighting back"?

Nally Stand

You, by talking about having the wrong address. And seriously, are you slow on the uptake? How often need I say that Enniskillen was NOT justified. N.O.T. So why keep bringing it up? And I also once again ask, do you honestly think the IRA only carried out an attack in Enniskillen? Their most regular targets were military. Why need I repeat that?? And my final repeated question you still haven't answered is how would you describe the british campaign if the IRA's was a "murder campaign by nutcases"?

leenie

blah de blah de blah

START A DIFFERENT THREAD

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 11:21:18 AM
Hardy, if you try re-reading my post I would challenge you to pick out where I defended the Enniskillen bomb. I clearly stated it should not have happened. I won't tolerate being accused of defending it. I simply said that the IRA also stated it should not have happened. They also rightly apologised.
10 years later. And did SF not refuse to condemn it at the time?

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 01:27:12 PM
So once again you refuse to accept that the IRA weren't going out to bomb civilians day in day out? It's not a matter of opinion Hardy, history shows the IRA's targets were in the vast majority, military and financial.
I think there were 600 civilians (out of the c.3,000 deaths) that were civilians. I'm not sure of the Republican/Loyalist split on that. But Enniskillen isn't the only example, just the most high profile.

Nally Stand

They still apologised. And talking about what SF did or said years ago doesn't make a difference. Gerry Adams is on record as stating it was wrong and shouldn't have happened. That terrible event doesn't typify the IRA's campaign, which can't be denied. Constantly using this as a way to imply the IRA's campaign was aimed at civilians is dishonest. Also, has any other party to the conflict accepted their level of involvement and apologised or is that not important?