26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

ardtole

Quote from: Itchy on January 30, 2020, 11:33:05 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2020, 11:06:36 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on January 30, 2020, 10:51:52 PM
Mary Lou saying very little tonight and so wins the debate for me.

And when she does speak, she wins hands down.

Even the TV3 panel afterwards begrudgingly said as much. The more I look at Michael Martin I want to grab everyone and Ireland and scream "NO", as bad as Leo is that guy is just a useless w**ker. Talking about border counties he never set foot in for more than 30 minutes, last week saying "people coming down here...." referring to Ulstermen. No plan for a border poll. Some republican he is.

I heard Martin on the last word, a few days ago. He was quizzed by Matt Cooper on his hope's for a united Ireland, I was taken aback by how opposed he is to the thought of a united Ireland. A united people was his hope for the future, he was more concerned about unionists feelings and even if there was a narrow majority in favour of a united Ireland in a border poll, he didnt necessarily feel that would be sufficient grounds either. Sounds more like a unionist than a Republican to me.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ardtole on January 31, 2020, 09:14:03 AM

Even the TV3 panel afterwards begrudgingly said as much. The more I look at Michael Martin I want to grab everyone and Ireland and scream "NO", as bad as Leo is that guy is just a useless w**ker. Talking about border counties he never set foot in for more than 30 minutes, last week saying "people coming down here...." referring to Ulstermen. No plan for a border poll. Some republican he is.

I heard Martin on the last word, a few days ago. He was quizzed by Matt Cooper on his hope's for a united Ireland, I was taken aback by how opposed he is to the thought of a united Ireland. A united people was his hope for the future, he was more concerned about unionists feelings and even if there was a narrow majority in favour of a united Ireland in a border poll, he didnt necessarily feel that would be sufficient grounds either. Sounds more like a unionist than a Republican to me.

This is also Sinn Féins new approach

Rossfan

Get used to it folks.
The new All Ireland entity will have lots  of special provisions for the people currently described as Unionists.
Meanwhile the outcome of this election will likely cause months of negotiations like 2016 before a Government is put together.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 31, 2020, 10:27:07 AM

Not true, Sinn Feins position is a united people but also a 50%+1 is enough.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Itchy on January 31, 2020, 12:28:51 PM

BTW, isn't there a need for a referendum in the republic also?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 31, 2020, 01:28:16 PM

Yes there is. Given how the black and tan commeration went that is now cancelled (not Leo said cancelled last night, not postponed) I doubt any of tha main parties would be canvassing for partition

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on January 30, 2020, 10:55:33 PM
The high number of twenty-something foreign-born workers renting apartments in the Dublin docklands have no interest in buying homes in Dublin. Nor have thousands of young Irish workers of the same age group.Getting rid of landlords means getting rid of these people.

Yes... because every one of them would rather pay twice the mortgage amount in rent instead.

Would you ever listen to yourself ffs.
i usse an speelchekor

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I am a republican but I have to admit that 50% +1 will not be a good foundation for a peaceful, prosperous or harmonious united ireland. SF are wrong on this and they tore strips off Eastwood for saying it.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Itchy on January 31, 2020, 01:39:16 PM

Yes there is. Given how the black and tan commeration went that is now cancelled (not Leo said cancelled last night, not postponed) I doubt any of tha main parties would be canvassing for partition

People will not decide with their hearts. They will decide with logic if an UI is feasible. The black and tans thing will be forgotten, just the same way people have quickly forgotten SF's support to similar projects in the North

Itchy

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 31, 2020, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 31, 2020, 01:39:16 PM

People will not decide with their hearts. They will decide with logic if an UI is feasible. The black and tans thing will be forgotten, just the same way people have quickly forgotten SF's support to similar projects in the North

People will decide with whatever they want to decide, whether it be heart or head.

omaghjoe

FF and FG are a rare bunch....spent the last few days talking about who is the most anti Sinn Fein, peculiar election strategy esp since they are polling at such a large chunk of 1st preference votes youd think they'd be looking for their transfers.

Anyway I kind of have my own ideas on it but do any of our southern voters care to share what they think is the difference between FF and FG and why they'd vote for one over the other?

Itchy

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 01, 2020, 11:35:16 PM
FF and FG are a rare bunch....spent the last few days talking about who is the most anti Sinn Fein, peculiar election strategy esp since they are polling at such a large chunk of 1st preference votes youd think they'd be looking for their transfers.

Anyway I kind of have my own ideas on it but do any of our southern voters care to share what they think is the difference between FF and FG and why they'd vote for one over the other?

There is no difference really, martin is a slightly bigger dick than Leo in my mind. Policies are pretty much the same.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Itchy on February 02, 2020, 12:27:07 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 01, 2020, 11:35:16 PM

There is no difference really, martin is a slightly bigger dick than Leo in my mind. Policies are pretty much the same.

Yeah we all know  that they are the same but there must be some perceived differences. To me FG always came across as a bit snobby and intellectual whereas FF are more like cowboys for the common man.

Eamonnca1

Sorry if I've posted this already but David McWilliams posted an interesting podcast (all of his stuff is interesting IMHO) about the differences not so much between FF and FG, but between the people who support them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEG8UncZ6VY

The short version is, FF people mostly have their roots in Gaelic Ireland. FG supporters mostly trace their roots to the Norman invasion.

So it's a bit like saying GAA types would be likely to vote FF, and rugby types would be likely to vote FG.

I find McWilliams is very good at spotting different 'types' of people around the country and the different ways they think, the way they spend their money and so on.

omaghjoe

Great podcast! Very interesting viewpoint..always thought of FG as med to large farmers, elite professionals, protestants and journalists, while FF as the peasants, working class and business owners. But he takes it to another level with this old english thing. Tho in saying that it should be pointed out the Norman's are more likely to be at the hurling than rugby