26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Tubberman

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2020, 02:40:07 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 23, 2020, 12:16:03 PM
Martin is going to be on a sticky wicket attacking the Government on their record since 2016 .
He had the Government in the palm of his hand and could have forced them to take action on anything he or FF were "concerned" about.
SF sound like the infamous FF manifesto of 1977 which gave us the massive 1980s recession- increase spending and reduce taxes.

Language is so important here. FF's manifesto didn't cause the worldwide recession. The policies they implemented left the country badly exposed to this recession. Typically in this country we spend "when we have it" and cut when we don't - the exact opposite of what public policy should be.

Replace "we" with "Fianna Fail" and you're about right.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

dec

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2020, 10:11:45 AM
but my hope is for a left alliance of SF/Green/Lab/SD/PbP

The only way you will ever get that is if the left parties refuse to go into coalition with FG or FF
However I think if FG or FF get close to a majority then either Labour or the Greens (or both) will end up in coalition.

Force a FG/FF coalition and then run as a proper left alternative against them next time.

dec

Quote from: weareros on January 23, 2020, 12:00:48 PM
We have to be like New York and start allowing high rise rental units,

Is there a law or regulation that prevents that at the moment?

weareros

Quote from: dec on January 23, 2020, 02:47:50 PM
Quote from: weareros on January 23, 2020, 12:00:48 PM
We have to be like New York and start allowing high rise rental units,

Is there a law or regulation that prevents that at the moment?

There's height limitations in Dublin, also concerns about the impact on the skyline.
As a country too we also have an obsession with home ownership - which is old, legacy thinking.
https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/01/16/home-ownership-is-the-wests-biggest-economic-policy-mistake

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Snapchap on January 23, 2020, 12:06:48 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 22, 2020, 11:37:53 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 22, 2020, 11:27:38 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 22, 2020, 10:54:35 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 22, 2020, 10:13:07 PM
[Don't get me started on rolling out the broadband across the country - sure best way would be to tender for it.  Oh no, we'll just offer it to one company for a bankload of money...no tendering required.  Great economic sense alright.

They did tender for it, only one company remained in the tender process.
Mind you, what they were trying to do was bollix.

QuoteIt's bad when Varadkar is more republican than Martin.

Martin is a bit slithery, but you know rightly that he would love  to the FF leader who united  the country.

He is the most repulsive snake of free state partitionism.

Do they still call themselves the Republican Party? Micheal Martin is more partitionist than most in FG and that takes some doing.

Is it not a bit obscene that Pat Kenny provided both Leo and Micheal with an opportunity to tear into Sinn Féin when SF weren't allowed to be there to defend themselves? Surely this is fundamentally wrong?
It probably is but the tv heads decided to have a presidential style head to head between Martin and Varadker because one of them is going to be the next Taoiseach.
I imagine FF and FG would both like to have Mary Lou on the program as they'd both tear into her and her policies.
That's one thing  they would agree on without a doubt. While they may dislike each other, they both fear the Shinners.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

Quote from: five points on January 23, 2020, 02:43:54 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2020, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: five points on January 23, 2020, 02:39:11 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2020, 02:22:18 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/news/taxes-stem-irelands-rising-inequality-claims-esri/ar-BBZeLCm?ocid=ientp

Twenty-something leftie civil servant in "no tax cuts for coping families!" shocker.

You're a gas ticket! So naive and clueless.

Any better retort than ad hominem insult? Thought not.

Don't be getting on your high horse when you made ridiculous inaccurate assumptions about me initially.

five points

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2020, 04:27:55 PM
Don't be getting on your high horse when you made ridiculous inaccurate assumptions about me initially.

Bitterness is not an argument.

armaghniac

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 23, 2020, 12:07:52 PM
Way to approach this is by making planning consents conditional on 20% affordable housing.

Absolutely not, this is the kind of wrong thinking that has country the way it is.
If you have this kind of 20% condition then you are putting the cost of that housing on the other 80% who are people not much different than the lucky few who get the affordable housing.

If public housing is desireable then every taxpayer should contribute to it, not just those buying their first house who are less well able to fund it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

weareros

Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2020, 05:03:02 PM
Way to approach this is by making planning consents conditional on 20% affordable housing.

Absolutely not, this is the kind of wrong thinking that has country the way it is.
If you have this kind of 20% condition then you are putting the cost of that housing on the other 80% who are people not much different than the lucky few who get the affordable housing.

If public housing is desireable then every taxpayer should contribute to it, not just those buying their first house who are less well able to fund it.

While I understand that view, in the case of cities like Dublin you need the artists, the wait staff, those who provide various services, to be able to live there otherwise you force on them a poor quality of life and the city loses too. I think if we can build more rental high rises (and sales), it's for the better of society if you allocate a certain percentage to low income and means test the applications. I think rent freeze is a terrible and populist idea by Sinn Fein and instead what should be done is a certain amount of rent stabilised apartments like they do in New York. As I said in previous posts we need to partner better with good property developers to solve this. Ged rid of obsession with owning. Put the bitteen of money in some index funds and you will get a far better return instead of the Mammy Philosophy of you need to own a home.

Rossfan

If there is publicly owned land available for 100,000 houses why not use 3 quarters of it for affordable houses for sale at cost prices. Have clawbacks etc by all means.
Now if put to tender how much would it cost per house for say 100 no frills houses on e.g an 8 acre site? No VAT as purchaser will be paying that on the finished product.
The other quarter can be used for social and/or tenant purchase houses.

One way or the other the new Government has to seriously and in workable practical manner address the housing issue instead of hiding behind an ideology.
Most young people who get up early in the morning or indeed work all sorts of unsocial hours cannot afford to buy a house, cannot afford to rent a flat or house, cannot get the deposit required together, or can't get a high enough mortgage to afford housing where the jobs are.
The FG "average income" of 80k per person can but most young people are lucky to be earning half that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: weareros on January 23, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2020, 05:03:02 PM

While I understand that view, in the case of cities like Dublin you need the artists, the wait staff, those who provide various services, to be able to live there otherwise you force on them a poor quality of life and the city loses too. I think if we can build more rental high rises (and sales), it's for the better of society if you allocate a certain percentage to low income and means test the applications. I think rent freeze is a terrible and populist idea by Sinn Fein and instead what should be done is a certain amount of rent stabilised apartments like they do in New York. As I said in previous posts we need to partner better with good property developers to solve this. Ged rid of obsession with owning. Put the bitteen of money in some index funds and you will get a far better return instead of the Mammy Philosophy of you need to own a home.

well said, people are obsessed with getting a mortgage. all that does is make you a slave to the bank for 30 years, liable for all the bills, maintenance, upkeep, etc. After that time you will be lucky to break even with all the interest paid, but you still need somewhere to live. Pay rent monthly and grow your money smartly in other areas, pay into your pension etc. Plus if you rent you can move anywhere quickly if you want to for work, family etc. A house/ apt is a noose that strangles young people and makes solicitors, estate agents and property funds rich.

armaghniac

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on January 23, 2020, 06:54:47 PM
well said, people are obsessed with getting a mortgage. all that does is make you a slave to the bank for 30 years, liable for all the bills, maintenance, upkeep, etc. After that time you will be lucky to break even with all the interest paid, but you still need somewhere to live. Pay rent monthly and grow your money smartly in other areas, pay into your pension etc. Plus if you rent you can move anywhere quickly if you want to for work, family etc. A house/ apt is a noose that strangles young people and makes solicitors, estate agents and property funds rich.

That's the whole point, isn't it, after that time you have somewhere to live!

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Looks like Shinners to take Pringle's seat i nDún na nGall de réir pobal breith déanta ag TG4.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM