26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Angelo

It's bad when Varadkar is more republican than Martin.

FF are absolutely reprehensible and Martin makes my skin crawl.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on January 22, 2020, 10:13:07 PM
[Don't get me started on rolling out the broadband across the country - sure best way would be to tender for it.  Oh no, we'll just offer it to one company for a bankload of money...no tendering required.  Great economic sense alright.

They did tender for it, only one company remained in the tender process.
Mind you, what they were trying to do was bollix.

QuoteIt's bad when Varadkar is more republican than Martin.

Martin is a bit slithery, but you know rightly that he would love  to the FF leader who united  the country.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on January 22, 2020, 10:54:35 PM
[Don't get me started on rolling out the broadband across the country - sure best way would be to tender for it.  Oh no, we'll just offer it to one company for a bankload of money...no tendering required.  Great economic sense alright.

Martin is a bit slithery, but you know rightly that he would love  to the FF leader who united  the country.

Is that a 'tender' then...lol.  Slippery FF/FG lecturing anybody on economics is quite ironic.  They decimated rural Ireland by their cost cutting - post offices closed all over the place.  Rural crime rampant and what do they do....they close more garda stations.

Approx 8 years to try and solve the housing and health issues and no inroads has been make on it.

Time to go - time for change!

Angelo

He is the most repulsive snake of free state partitionism.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

Irish Free State was abolished in 1937.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Angelo on January 22, 2020, 11:27:38 PM

+1. Probably voting SF after that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

Do they still call themselves the Republican Party? Micheal Martin is more partitionist than most in FG and that takes some doing.

Snapchap

Quote from: yellowcard on January 22, 2020, 11:37:53 PM

Do they still call themselves the Republican Party? Micheal Martin is more partitionist than most in FG and that takes some doing.

Is it not a bit obscene that Pat Kenny provided both Leo and Micheal with an opportunity to tear into Sinn Féin when SF weren't allowed to be there to defend themselves? Surely this is fundamentally wrong?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Snapchap on January 23, 2020, 12:06:48 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 22, 2020, 11:37:53 PM

Is it not a bit obscene that Pat Kenny provided both Leo and Micheal with an opportunity to tear into Sinn Féin when SF weren't allowed to be there to defend themselves? Surely this is fundamentally wrong?

That's the establishment for you.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Applesisapples

The absolute hypocrisy of Vardaker and Martin in relation to a SF coalition is breathtaking, almost a quarter of a century since the cease fire and they are still peddling this partitionist nonsense that is insulting to the vast majority of nationalists in the North and a good slice of the southern electorate. SF may well have men in dark rooms dictating policy but FF and FG have also unelected developers, bankers and businesses exerting similar influence. I would not agree with all SF's economic policies but their broad thrust on housing and social justice could lead to a fairer society. The SDLP if they had any balls would call out this partitionist bullshit, but given that their only policy starts with a but SF... that's unlikely.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 23, 2020, 09:40:26 AM
The absolute hypocrisy of Vardaker and Martin in relation to a SF coalition is breathtaking, almost a quarter of a century since the cease fire and they are still peddling this partitionist nonsense that is insulting to the vast majority of nationalists in the North and a good slice of the southern electorate. SF may well have men in dark rooms dictating policy but FF and FG have also unelected developers, bankers and businesses exerting similar influence. I would not agree with all SF's economic policies but their broad thrust on housing and social justice could lead to a fairer society. The SDLP if they had any balls would call out this partitionist bullshit, but given that their only policy starts with a but SF... that's unlikely.

It's a perfect storm for SF I think. They exposed their rank hypocrisy and Mary Lou didn't have to be there to defend SF.

I'd have a few concerns about SF myself but my hope is for a left alliance of SF/Green/Lab/SD/PbP so we can get on with addressing the really pressing issues of climate, income inequality, housing, healthcare and the jobs timebomb approaching before it's too late. FF and FG will not address any of these issues. They'll keep serving the wealthy.

trailer

Quote from: trailer on January 22, 2020, 04:28:28 PM
Quote from: WT4E on January 21, 2020, 02:04:52 PM
Reunification is coming (even if Leo and FG don't like it) - SF will be central to that along with others - they deserve their place on the debate.

The Island will prosper in the long run - sure there will be some possible economic downside in the short term - however EU and UK money could offset some of this. So anyone with children - if you want the best for them and their children reunification is what that looks like and with that goes accepting the fact that SF are a main political party north and south.

SF nothing more than a protest vote. Fringe party at best. Left wing communists who if we're let anywhere near the fiscal leavers would bankrupt the country for years.

Who's the SDLP canvassing for this election?

Eastwood's Fine Failure or Durkan's Fine Gael?  Both are two sides of the same coin!!

Ironic people talking about the economy and running the country when the children's hospital will be approx. £200 million, maybe more when completed, after what was the original cost - someone fill that figure in for me.

Oh yeah, they are great at economics alright.

Don't get me started on rolling out the broadband across the country - sure best way would be to tender for it.  Oh no, we'll just offer it to one company for a bankload of money...no tendering required.  Great economic sense alright.

No lectures please on the economic ability of the big two.

Whatever. At least you can guarantee it will be electable and accountable politicians taking decisions. Not a bundle of provisionals in the Felons club.
SF don't operate like any normal political party. Those who are elected in SF aren't allowed to take decisions. That's not democracy.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Sinn Fein need to be on these debates so they can be asked about their populist policies. I specifically want to know how they will fund these 100,000 social houses. At say 100 grand a house, that's an astronomical cost to taxpayer. They signed off on the social housing for O'Devanney Gardens without any plan for how they would be funded and then washed their hands of the fiasco when this emerged. We have seen enough Fianna Fáil populist policies bankrupt the country to go down that road again. The solution to housing for young people is staring us in face. Young people want to live in urban areas, near culture and city life. That's a worldwide trend. We have to be like New York and start allowing high rise rental units, with a law requiring x amount be for families on lower income at lower prices. Let private developers build, let them make money. Government has no business being property developers, building shit, and fleecing the taxpayer, the minority paying for everything.

Applesisapples

Quote from: weareros on January 23, 2020, 12:00:48 PM
Sinn Fein need to be on these debates so they can be asked about their populist policies. I specifically want to know how they will fund these 100,000 social houses. At say 100 grand a house, that's an astronomical cost to taxpayer. They signed off on the social housing for O'Devanney Gardens without any plan for how they would be funded and then washed their hands of the fiasco when this emerged. We have seen enough Fianna Fáil populist policies bankrupt the country to go down that road again. The solution to housing for young people is staring us in face. Young people want to live in urban areas, near culture and city life. That's a worldwide trend. We have to be like New York and start allowing high rise rental units, with a law requiring x amount be for families on lower income at lower prices. Let private developers build, let them make money. Government has no business being property developers, building shit, and fleecing the taxpayer, the minority paying for everything.
Problem is developers are back fleecing people on the housing market. Way to approach this is by making planning consents conditional on 20% affordable housing.