FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 03, 2018, 08:31:55 AM
Pride month Benny - but you knew that anyways  ::)

Month? Is a day not enough for that malarky?  ::)

Gmac

Quote from: BennyCake on June 03, 2018, 12:41:28 AM
What was the deal with the rainbow coloured numbers on the shirts? Has George or Bungle passed away?
leo said the guys at the gym thought the jerseys looked fab

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: BennyCake on June 03, 2018, 12:56:58 PM

Is your 11 months not enough for your malarky?  ::)

Owenmoresider

Quote from: BennyCake on June 03, 2018, 12:56:58 PM

Nothing's ever enough for them. Can we not just try to enjoy sport without the virtue signalling nonsense.

Farrandeelin

To be honest, I didn't know. I didn't know there was such thing as a pride month. But OMS is correct, enough of the bs in sport.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

If its pride they want surely they need to go to rugby. There is lots of PRIDE, MEN ARE GIANTS. And the whole game is a bit camp anyway.

SHEEDY

16 years ago today, brillant memories. great reaction from big mick.

https://youtu.be/VIexE4B1GHY
nil satis nisi optimum

gerrykeegan

I was in the crowd with three buddies. I think we were still talking about it 24 hours later. Magic moment.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

I was in Melbourne. Great memories. Got the ride that night also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Shamrock Shore

Denis O'Brien appointed Honorary Life President of the FAI.

A perfect fit  ::)

trileacman

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0821/986643-someone-in-leinster-house-must-take-a-big-picture-view/

Soccer heads now calling on the government to bankroll their gravy train bullshit. These fcukers really have no shame. Maybe taking money hand over fist when you should have been investing in the game is where you should start you charlatan gobshites.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

NAG1

Quote from: trileacman on August 21, 2018, 10:19:46 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0821/986643-someone-in-leinster-house-must-take-a-big-picture-view/

Soccer heads now calling on the government to bankroll their gravy train bullshit. These fcukers really have no shame. Maybe taking money hand over fist when you should have been investing in the game is where you should start you charlatan gobshites.

And yet it becomes the GAA's problem, their lack of investment in their own game and grounds.....just saying like

From the Bunker

Irish Soccer is 100 years behind Gaelic games. Why? Because we oppressed it for those 100 years - well for 85 of it! There are very few soccer clubs in Mayo older than 50 years. Most were founded in the mid-70's early 80's. The GAA has had the power for most of our existence as an independent state, backed by the clergy and the state. They proverbially held the heel to the throat for as long as they could.

There is always an underlying fear among the GAA fraternity of Soccer. There always seem a need to blacken and belittle it.

If the article above was about GAA getting more help from the state, it would be seen as an entitlement and reward for all the good work that the GAA does. Of course the Soccer fraternity do equally as much within the modern community and voluntary as well.

As a Parent with feet in both camps it disgusts me to see either side belittle the other. Both at ground level are massive organisations that instill a great sense of community in my area.

AZOffaly

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 22, 2018, 12:24:05 PM
Irish Soccer is 100 years behind Gaelic games. Why? Because we oppressed it for those 100 years - well for 85 of it! There are very few soccer clubs in Mayo older than 50 years. Most were founded in the mid-70's early 80's. The GAA has had the power for most of our existence as an independent state, backed by the clergy and the state. They proverbially held the heel to the throat for as long as they could.

There is always an underlying fear among the GAA fraternity of Soccer. There always seem a need to blacken and belittle it.

If the article above was about GAA getting more help from the state, it would be seen as an entitlement and reward for all the good work that the GAA does. Of course the Soccer fraternity do equally as much within the modern community and voluntary as well.

As a Parent with feet in both camps it disgusts me to see either side belittle the other. Both at ground level are massive organisations that instill a great sense of community in my area.

I agree with most of that. There is still a subtle difference though in the GAA and the Soccer. The GAA is still about a sense of place. Soccer draws lads from all around if it's a decent club. Our club in Newport has players from Murroe, Ballina, Ballinahinch etc. They are a great club, and do great work, and I support them. But if you are talking about a sense of identity and community, I think the GAA club is still the centre.

But in my experience (until this year at least when Summer Soccer kicks in), the clubs have co-existed excellently, and complement each other. I hope it continues.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2018, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 22, 2018, 12:24:05 PM

I agree with most of that. There is still a subtle difference though in the GAA and the Soccer. The GAA is still about a sense of place. Soccer draws lads from all around if it's a decent club. Our club in Newport has players from Murroe, Ballina, Ballinahinch etc. They are a great club, and do great work, and I support them. But if you are talking about a sense of identity and community, I think the GAA club is still the centre.

But in my experience (until this year at least when Summer Soccer kicks in), the clubs have co-existed excellently, and complement each other. I hope it continues.

I think that's true in most communities AZ, and I wouldn't see any difference in the commitment of officials in either code (and I think most officials I know would agree).  I would say that rather than defining a place, the GAA sees itself as a cultural organisation and not confined to being a sporting organisation.  It's a master stroke in terms of acquiring finance for running costs, i don't think any other sporting organisation could successfully do that, which is probably a legacy of our history as a nation. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...