Dublin V Donegal

Started by Gareth, June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: sid waddell on July 14, 2018, 09:08:39 PM
Dublin were totally right to play keep ball.

There are four minutes of the five allotted injury time minutes left.

Your opposition has 14 men in its own half.

Why wouldn't you play the ball the around?

The only team wasting time was Donegal, and it was their own time they were wasting.

If Donegal want to waste two or three minutes of the time they have to get back into the game, that's not Dublin's problem at all.

What Dublin did was common sense, what Donegal did in not pushing up to try and get the ball back was idiocy.

At least we have the hurling to enjoy.

yellowcard

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 14, 2018, 08:40:08 PM
;D Comfortable win. The begrudgers are seething.

Far from a begrudged either but that was embarrassing stuff the last 10/15 minutes. Just sucked the life out of the game and was something we haven't often seen from the Dubs who have rarely resorted to keeping possession just for the sake of it (bar Kilkenny).

I really hope it was a once off.

longballin

same as that. For the so-called greatest time of all time (though I think that title belongs the Kerry 75-86) it was demeaning. Ok from a limited team maybe but Dublin dont need to do that.

Wildweasel74

All the people complaining about keep ball, which Kilkenny started! Donegal to blame by not pushing out man on man! Dublin were trying this to drag Donegal way out of their defensive set up! I As they needed the scores, the majority of Donegal men were lying bck in their half of the field. meant they were as culpable as Dublin

StephenC

Well done Dublin. Very comfortable win for them;much more so that the final score suggests. No problem with their keep-ball at the end - it was up to us to go and chase the game. Our lads looked tired.

Paddy was badly missed. Lot of responsibility on Jamie's shoulders and feel the pressure got to him a bit - as it did to Patton. Kick outs were shakey and Dublin dominated midfield. Dublin's high fielding a joy to watch.

Massive game in the Hyde next weekend.

Jinxy

I don't mind Dublin doing it to draw out defenders, but there were times where they were counter-attacking with numbers in support and they just stopped and turned back.
Kilkenny in particular did this at least twice, running backwards towards his own goal.
Horrible to watch.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Wildweasel74

Dublin should leave kilkenny at full forward, he look bad running the other direction that close to goal!

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I know the odds on it happening are slim but I would love it if Tyrone beat them next weekend and Donegal win their next 2 leaving Dublin needing score difference to get through after Roscommon. That last 15 minutes could haunt them in that scenario.

rodney trotter

Been a poor enough Championship so far. All the provinical finals were one sided. Dublin v Donegal today was average. Watching Dublin in Croke Park is boring. They know they will find another gear and put teams away. At least they are out of their comfort zone next week.

thewobbler

We will find ourselves with a "no passing backwards over the halfway line" rule in either this congress or next, and the game will be much the better for it.

Call it smart football from Dublin. Call it just desserts for Donegal not pushing every man up one-on-one. Call it what you like for all I care. It's indefensible. Sport must be entertaining to watch otherwise we might as well just go to f**king mass instead. And watching one team pass the ball around in their own half for 15 minutes is as far from entertainment as it gets.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on July 14, 2018, 10:12:20 PM
We will find ourselves with a "no passing backwards over the halfway line" rule in either this congress or next, and the game will be much the better for it.
We won't and it won't.

Well actually we might on the first part, idiotic motions on playing rules which are soundly defeated is part of what the GAA is.

Quote from: thewobbler on July 14, 2018, 10:12:20 PMCall it smart football from Dublin. Call it just desserts for Donegal not pushing every man up one-on-one. Call it what you like for all I care. It's indefensible. Sport must be entertaining to watch otherwise we might as well just go to f**king mass instead. And watching one team pass the ball around in their own half for 15 minutes is as far from entertainment as it gets.
Calm down, Helen Lovejoy.

thewobbler

Sid we've a situation now whereby the team which has overwhelming natural advantages in terms of population and resources, is now also fully exploring how they can exploit the rulebook, thereby removing any semblance of a chance of defeat.

They've placed an onus on the rulemakers to respond.

—-

By the way I know they're far from the first side to employ this tactic. It's not novel. But if the most successful side in the country do it, then every f**king coach from under 13 to junior b to senior club will try to add this "tactic" to their armoury.

Hence, they've placed an onus on the rulemakers to respond

highorlow

Dublin conserving energy for the next games might be a lot to do with.

Double hops and over carrying by the Dubs might get pulled up when their  away from home.

HQ need to make Croke Park and all other pitches narrower to cut this shit out. No real incentive for Donegal to push out when the Dubs can use the sidelines and vast open spaces of their home turf when a press begins .

Is it Tyrone away for them next week? If it is it's  possible Tyrone will beat them.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

tonto1888

some of these comments are very poor.

Jell 0 Biafra

Dublin always play this way against defensive teams when they have the lead. I agree it's terrible to watch, but isn't the answer to play less defensively?  Or are we expected to repeat our hari Kiri Donegal 2014 performance to make it easier for everyone else?