Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

The better half and I are going to start building our house within the next year or 2. We have got the land and roughly looking at around 100-150k mortgage to use for building.  I haven't a clue about building houses or any of that construction craic so I am looking a bit of advice. What would you do differently if you were going to build your house again? What are the latest things that you would include in a house (underground heating, solar panels on the roof for example)? Who are good men to use for getting a stone finish house? Is now a good time to build? Early days at the minute but we are looking to get on the ball early and try get some of it at least started. Sorry for all the questions lads, any advice would be appreciated.

Groucho

Forget about underground heating.....crap, solar panels expensive but will pay for themselves.
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

JimStynes

Quote from: Groucho on February 26, 2011, 04:39:30 PM
Forget about underground heating.....crap, solar panels expensive but will pay for themselves.

No good then? I have heard good reports about them off a few people about how they are more energy efficient but i am not convince. If it broke then it would mean digging floors up etc

Newbridge Exile

Air source heat pumps are getting popular at the moment, dont know that much about them though, if its a two storey house definitely run with the homespan slabs at first floor, Its without a doubt a good time to build whilst some material prices are rising ( concrete, blocks etc due to aggregate tax) labour  and subcontractor costs are going the other way

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: JimStynes on February 26, 2011, 04:45:46 PM

No good then? I have heard good reports about them off a few people about how they are more energy efficient but i am not convince. If it broke then it would mean digging floors up etc

Have it my house for the past four years, wonderful system. I have a geo thermal system. As for the pipe breaking, it is reinforced in aluminium, no chance of it breaking down. Have the house well insulated and a seperate heating control in each room, cant recommend it highly enough.

no mo do yakamo

Find out the projected lifespan of the solar panel and the projected  pay back time and youll likely never come close to breaking even.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

Denn Forever

Is Geothermal water heating(i.e. sinking a pipe into the ground or using extensive pipework over a large area) any good and would it be any good retrofitting into existing houses?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 26, 2011, 05:18:36 PM
Is Geothermal water heating(i.e. sinking a pipe into the ground or using extensive pipework over a large area) any good and would it be any good retrofitting into existing houses?

Thats it excatly, there would be no big issue fitting it in to an older house, the garden would have to be dug up and a heat exchanger would have to be fitted in the hot press. The biggest issue would be insualtion in an older house, you can now get wireless temp. controllers so that would not be a major issue.

fitzroyalty

Is it worth the hassle for existing houses? New build I can understand.

lawnseed

Only one bit of advice jim keep your house as small as you can get away with. the bigger it is the more expense it will be to finish and maintain/run. a well planned house about 1600sqft with converted attic is enough. if you have a large site an outside laundry/utility can save alot of space in your house. you can put your washing machine and dryer out there and your freezer(easier run outside) also have washing line in it i converted my garage great job. dryline the inside of all your exterior walls with insulated plasterboard and dont be tempted by the romance of high ceilings mine are 9ft its too high the heats all up in the air. put in a pot belly you can burn all your crap/waste and save bin space get one with a boiler. stanley is the best. conservatories are a waste of money. get your windows from mcmullan and o'donnell benburb, they are more expensive but they are clearly the best on the market. dont waste money on expensive tiles or kitchens they are a fashion item and you will want to change them definately after 12 years i've 4 kids and they use the kitchen as a climbing frame :o ::).finally the best advice i ever got was "DONT BUILD A HOUSE ANY BIGGER THAN YOUR PREPARED TO CARRY COAL TO". my house is 1800ft down stairs and approx 1200ft upstairs its more than adequate. SIZE MATTERS :D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: lawnseed on February 26, 2011, 09:06:01 PM
Only one bit of advice jim keep your house as small as you can get away with. the bigger it is the more expense it will be to finish and maintain/run. a well planned house about 1600sqft with converted attic is enough. if you have a large site an outside laundry/utility can save alot of space in your house. you can put your washing machine and dryer out there and your freezer(easier run outside) also have washing line in it i converted my garage great job. dryline the inside of all your exterior walls with insulated plasterboard and dont be tempted by the romance of high ceilings mine are 9ft its too high the heats all up in the air. put in a pot belly you can burn all your crap/waste and save bin space get one with a boiler. stanley is the best. conservatories are a waste of money. get your windows from mcmullan and o'donnell benburb, they are more expensive but they are clearly the best on the market. dont waste money on expensive tiles or kitchens they are a fashion item and you will want to change them definately after 12 years i've 4 kids and they use the kitchen as a climbing frame :o ::).finally the best advice i ever got was "DONT BUILD A HOUSE ANY BIGGER THAN YOUR PREPARED TO CARRY COAL TO". my house is 1800ft down stairs and approx 1200ft upstairs its more than adequate. SIZE MATTERS :D
Their PVC windows are good but there are others such as Turkington Portadown, JJ Higgings Magherafelt, Compass windows Dungiven, who would be as good if not better, Price wise Baskill W are hard to beat both In PVC and Hardwood

All of a Sludden

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 26, 2011, 05:47:51 PM
Is it worth the hassle for existing houses? New build I can understand.

It is more than worthwhile if it is done right. If you are stuck for space a bore hole is the way to go. Get proper advice there are a lot of cowboys in this line of work.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

lawnseed

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on February 26, 2011, 09:11:13 PM
Their PVC windows are good but there are others such as Turkington Portadown, JJ Higgings Magherafelt, Compass windows Dungiven, who would be as good if not better, Price wise Baskill W are hard to beat both In PVC and Hardwood

windows and doors are literally holes in your wall you need to put something decent in the space i've seen all the upvc on the market mcmullan and o'donnells are streets ahead but everyone to their own. all i know is i bought cheap and now i will be pulling them out room at a time to put mcmullan & odonnells  windows/doors in... bought knowledge

comethekingdom

Quote from: lawnseed on February 26, 2011, 09:19:46 PM

windows and doors are literally holes in your wall you need to put something decent in the space i've seen all the upvc on the market mcmullan and o'donnells are streets ahead but everyone to their own. all i know is i bought cheap and now i will be pulling them out room at a time to put mcmullan & odonnells  windows/doors in... bought knowledge
Do you work for mcmullan & o'donnells?? ;)

lawnseed

Quote from: comethekingdom on February 26, 2011, 10:08:55 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on February 26, 2011, 09:19:46 PM

Do you work for mcmullan 7 o'donnells?? ;)

no but my brother got their stuff so i had a good gander