The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 13, 2018, 11:16:54 AM... it amazes me that people actually would push for people to be put in a position where they can self incriminate themselves. This is not a fact finding mission unfortunately, this is justice and seeing that justice is done. Justice works on the presumption of innocence and while that is the bedrock of the legal system a defendant will never be compelled to give evidence.

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 13, 2018, 11:30:20 AM
... silence would indeed raise serious questions about whether they have something to hide ...

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2018, 12:09:00 PM
Not giving information at an interview is good advice ...

This does not mean I believe they are innocent Syferus and others who do think they are guilty..

NEVER talk to the police

Ty4Sam

Quote from: David McKeown on February 13, 2018, 12:31:12 PM
I should also add that we are analysing days and days of evidence in this case based on a few paragraphs of coverage of what individual journalists thought were the key questions and answers. That's a dangerous thing to do. The reports may or may not be accurate and will certainly be subject to the interpretation that the writer amhas tried to put on them.

Nail on head here David. A quick search of this case on twitter throws up some on most sweeping generalisations you could encounter.

Tony Baloney

Can we get a show of hands for who on this thread works in the legal profession so I can make an informed judgement on the shite/non-shite they are posting. Syferus, no need to respond. David McKeown your credentials are verified.

Being from Cross' I'm guessing BC1's experience is as defendant  :P

Itchy

Is anyone else uncomfortable reading the grilling that girl is getting today? I know the defence have to ask questions but it seems a very aggressive line today. I dont know how people work as barristers, dont think I could prey on a poor unfortunate person like they do. Smacks of deperation to me from the defence as the risk the girl now getting sympathy for the attack from jurors.

screenexile

Quote from: Itchy on February 13, 2018, 01:12:01 PM
Is anyone else uncomfortable reading the grilling that girl is getting today? I know the defence have to ask questions but it seems a very aggressive line today. I dont know how people work as barristers, dont think I could prey on a poor unfortunate person like they do. Smacks of deperation to me from the defence as the risk the girl now getting sympathy for the attack from jurors.

That was the prosecuting barrister who's on her side!!

Asal Mor

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 13, 2018, 11:34:43 AM
It doesn't look like justice to an eejit like me. It looks like legal trickery and finding loopholes to avoid the real truth being got at.

Not giving information at an interview is good advice, their recollection of the night will be hazy due to being drunk, so the smart thing would be to collect your thoughts on the matter and then give a more accurate response to the questions.

They must have shit themselves when the police came to question them... the girl has also been coached on how to answer the questions in court and the lads will also. I would imagine thats the norm but it does not mean they are guilty.

This does not mean I believe they are innocent Syferus and others who do think they are guilty..

As for the loopholes, lawyers will always look at that as a means to get their client off the hook.. there has to be good evidence rather than his word against mine, if 4 or 5 people give the same story and one person has theirs then unless you can prove that story to be wrong who do you believe?
Well if everyone had to rely on their version of events as given in the original interview surely that would unearth the truth in a case like this. If 4 people give the same version of events before they've had a chance to work out their story you'd have to believe them. The technology is there to make sure all questioning is done in a fair and transparent way.

If they're allowed months to confer and go over their stories with their legal teams it negates that. I don't see why the 4 should be believed over the 1 under the current system.

Keyser soze

Quote from: screenexile on February 13, 2018, 01:16:49 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 13, 2018, 01:12:01 PM

That was the prosecuting barrister who's on her side!!

The levels of stupidity must surely have bottomed out at this stage!!

Asal Mor

Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2018, 12:51:54 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 13, 2018, 11:16:54 AM... it amazes me that people actually would push for people to be put in a position where they can self incriminate themselves. This is not a fact finding mission unfortunately, this is justice and seeing that justice is done. Justice works on the presumption of innocence and while that is the bedrock of the legal system a defendant will never be compelled to give evidence.

... silence would indeed raise serious questions about whether they have something to hide ...

NEVER talk to the police
I've no doubt that going no comment is the best course of action for anyone accused of anything under the current system.

WT4E

I see Jackson story is he didn't have penetrative sex with the girl and just used his hand - surely this would be easy to prove if the normal procedures where followed when she reported rape in the next few days?

Avondhu star

NEVER talk to the police

Bullshit comment.
So if the police arrest you and question regarding a crime at a certain location and time you say nothing. Despite the fact that you were in a location 100 miles away at the time and there are witnesses and CCTV to support your story.
You deserve to be kept in custody for that type of stupidity
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: WT4E on February 13, 2018, 01:29:41 PM
I see Jackson story is he didn't have penetrative sex with the girl and just used his hand - surely this would be easy to prove if the normal procedures where followed when she reported rape in the next few days?
Not necessarily easy to prove.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

David McKeown

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 13, 2018, 01:22:37 PM

NEVER talk to the police
I've no doubt that going no comment is the best course of action for anyone accused of anything under the current system.

I would strongly disagree. The right to silence has been greatly eroded over recent years and the level of inference that can be properly drawn has increased dramatically. There are plenty of times when no comment is still the best option but there's at least as many if not more when it is not.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: WT4E on February 13, 2018, 01:29:41 PM

Presumably the argument is, the internal injuries as previously reported and discussed - they are easier caused to a finger/nail than what we all originally thought.

Strange twist today, I had assumed there was no question in Jackson having sexual intercourse....I am told some of the other ladies in the house that night are also up - I think we'll get some more clarity later.

seafoid

McIlroy's lawyer said his client was fully clothed when hevwent intl to the room. The lady says he was buck naked. I wonder if anyone else saw him so we can get a definitive answer.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Frank Greaney

@FrankGreaney

·

1h

Witness tells court she didn't know complainant before party. She said she had a brief conversation with her. She said she thought she was "quite nice" and "didn't think she was quite drunk"

Frank Greaney

@FrankGreaney

·

1h

She said she didn't get a view into the room but her friend turned to her after closing the door a few seconds after opening it and said "Oh my God, I've seen a threesome"

Frank Greaney

@FrankGreaney

·

3h

Under re-examination, woman refutes Paddy Jackson's version of events. He denies ever having sexual intercourse with her. He says the height of what he did was "digitally penetrate" her while she was performing oral sex on Stuart Olding. She says: "that's incorrect"

Hmmn
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU