NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 11, 2020, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 11, 2020, 11:21:08 AM
Great summary as usual from AFA. I was delighted to see Sean Kelly start at corner back, mentioned it on here previously that I thought he'd be good in that role and he didn't let us down; He was excellent defensively and popped up with a brilliant goal.  Heaney had his hands full with Jamie Brennan and he struggled at times marking him but in fairness he won't be marking too many like Brennan throughout the year, as usual Heaney is the man you'd want going through on goal.

Kicckouts continue to be a problem and will need serious work between league and championship, Galway did well on Paton's kickouts but the wind likely played its part though; Comer made a difference second half and got his hands on every ball that come his way.

I thought O'Donnell had a poor first half, kicked the ball away on several occasions. Perhaps I'm been very harsh but I think on a summer days on a good pitch his lack of speed of the mark will come back to haunt us. Steede was anonymous, not sure how many more chances he'll get and D'Arcy will have to do more to keep himself in the team. Cooke is a big loss especially given the way Galway are playing. Boyle extremely lucky to stay on, PJ must see something in him but we've yet to see it yet. I liked that 2nd point Finnerty kicked, he didn't need much space to get his shot away; I still think he's got a bit of developing to do physically.

Walsh is just a joy to watch, lets hope he keeps this up as there's only a few players who can match him for talent.

What's going on here? Man was immense during the club series - doesn't seem like a lack of talent.

Not sure he's suited to intercounty football. He's not the quickest and that seems to be much more evident at intercounty level where he just seems a small bit off the pace. Midfield at intercounty level seems increasingly a place for good athletes and as good a footballer as Steede is at club level he probably wouldn't ever be considered particularly athletic. I mean if you watched club football in Galway you'd never pick Tom Flynn ahead of Steede (granted Flynn's club is only junior now) but Flynn has been a far better performer at intercounty level even though he's had more chances than Steede has.

Wouldn't write him off completely as maybe he can adjust with game time but he hasn't had much of an impact in the last two games.

galwayman

Have to agree with AFA re John Concannon on the sideline - if ever there was a lad to have nowhere near the pitch...
He has a history of that kind of bullshit and Pj needs to sort him out imo.

Duine Eile

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 11, 2020, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 11, 2020, 11:21:08 AM
Great summary as usual from AFA. I was delighted to see Sean Kelly start at corner back, mentioned it on here previously that I thought he'd be good in that role and he didn't let us down; He was excellent defensively and popped up with a brilliant goal.  Heaney had his hands full with Jamie Brennan and he struggled at times marking him but in fairness he won't be marking too many like Brennan throughout the year, as usual Heaney is the man you'd want going through on goal.

Kicckouts continue to be a problem and will need serious work between league and championship, Galway did well on Paton's kickouts but the wind likely played its part though; Comer made a difference second half and got his hands on every ball that come his way.

I thought O'Donnell had a poor first half, kicked the ball away on several occasions. Perhaps I'm been very harsh but I think on a summer days on a good pitch his lack of speed of the mark will come back to haunt us. Steede was anonymous, not sure how many more chances he'll get and D'Arcy will have to do more to keep himself in the team. Cooke is a big loss especially given the way Galway are playing. Boyle extremely lucky to stay on, PJ must see something in him but we've yet to see it yet. I liked that 2nd point Finnerty kicked, he didn't need much space to get his shot away; I still think he's got a bit of developing to do physically.

Walsh is just a joy to watch, lets hope he keeps this up as there's only a few players who can match him for talent.

What's going on here? Man was immense during the club series - doesn't seem like a lack of talent.
Apparently most of the Corofin lads are heading back this week so it'd be interesting to see how he'd get on with the likes of Silke or Molloy behind him and Burke up front, would it make any difference. In fairness to him he went straight in and didn't take the break the others did,I'd say he'll get another chance, PJ seems to like him and he's showing the commitment. Agreed about Boyle, don't think he has what it takes.

AFM

Good win for Tyrone, sure Mickey be happy, probably looking forward to next game playing away for another 2 points.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Tubberman on February 11, 2020, 10:39:19 AM
Quote from: MayoBuck on February 11, 2020, 10:04:27 AM
Quote from: lenny on February 11, 2020, 07:06:15 AM
While Cliffords red card was disgraceful arguably the worst decision of the weekend went almost unnoticed. Meath should have had a penalty in the first half when they were denied a goal by a blatant foot block by I think O'connor. RTE didn't even show a replay of the incident but I'd recorded it and it's actually a blatant and dangerous foot block.

The Meath player never actually kicked the ball so it wasn't a foot block.

Correct - DOC kicked it away before the Meath player got to it. Great piece of last-ditch defending.

Actual wording of the foot block rule

Quote5.1 To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).

Stonewall foot block.

This is also a Category 1 Agressive Foul so should have been a yellow card as well as a penalty.

Maroon Manc

I've seen a bit of talk in the media about Conor McKenna returning from the AFL and him having an impact for Tyrone and its not coming from Tyrone people either. I have it it was 2013 when he was a minor the last time he actually played a game?

Dire Ear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 13, 2020, 10:28:04 AM
I've seen a bit of talk in the media about Conor McKenna returning from the AFL and him having an impact for Tyrone and its not coming from Tyrone people either. I have it it was 2013 when he was a minor the last time he actually played a game?
He's a fine, fine footballer and now a better athlete;  my only worry would be that the way they're being trained nowadays in Tyrone that the football is trained out of them

Tubberman

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 12, 2020, 04:16:28 PM
While Cliffords red card was disgraceful arguably the worst decision of the weekend went almost unnoticed. Meath should have had a penalty in the first half when they were denied a goal by a blatant foot block by I think O'connor. RTE didn't even show a replay of the incident but I'd recorded it and it's actually a blatant and dangerous foot block.

Correct - DOC kicked it away before the Meath player got to it. Great piece of last-ditch defending.

Quote5.1 To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).

Stonewall foot block.

This is also a Category 1 Agressive Foul so should have been a yellow card as well as a penalty.

Note the use of the word "block" in the rule. DOC didn't block it, he kicked it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Captain Obvious

What was the Meath lad at for the Mayo goal, did the green and blue jerseys confuse him?

lenny

Quote from: Tubberman on February 13, 2020, 10:45:22 AM

Stonewall foot block.

Note the use of the word "block" in the rule. DOC didn't block it, he kicked it.

Once you've dropped the ball to kick it you are in the act of kicking and it's very dangerous at that point for an opponent to use his foot to tackle. It was a blatant penalty and yellow card all day long.

macdanger2

I thought it was a definite penalty tbh

imtommygunn

Maroon Manc

Any of those young Mayo forwards able to kick with either feet? I always found that the biggest difference between Mayo & Dublins forwards.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Tubberman on February 13, 2020, 10:45:22 AM

Stonewall foot block.

Kicking the ball away with the foot in this instance is and always has been regarded as a foot block.

The referee either missed it or didn't know the rule.

Do you think it would be safe and legitimate for defenders to be allowed tackle players in possession in this manner i.e. defenders would be allowed to try and kick the ball away when the player in possession is in the act of shooting. 

Imagine a situation where this was regarded as a legitimate tackle and it was happening 5-10 times a game - where defenders were swinging their leg at players in the act of kicking the ball.
My understanding was always that the reason a foot block is a yellow card offence was because of the high level of risk of injury. I'm nearly certain this was clarified back in the mid 2000s by the football review task force - from what I can recall they looked at it and issued clarification to refs about it having to be deliberate and emphasising the danger of it.
Can you not see how dangerous this would be when it goes wrong? Just because DOC managed to kick it away in this instance does not make it a legitimate tackle.

bucko

One of the lads I play a bit of football with is a referee and we had a discussion on it a good while back, his interpretation was that if the blocker's foot made contact with with ball while it was still in contact with the kickers foot it was a stonewall free. However if the ball had left the kickers foot and the blockers foot then made contact with the ball he generally wouldn't whistle it up. Didn't see the incident myself so can't give an opinion on it but just thought I'd mention one ref's interpretation.