Name your three favourite songs by... [Eric Clapton]

Started by AustinPowers, November 30, 2023, 06:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 17, 2024, 08:44:53 PMSame: Tears in Heaven, Wonderful Tonite... I like 'Why Aye Man'.. was tune for TV series Auf Wiedesen Pet (proby misspelt!) Really caught the migration to get work from Tyneside (same as Ireland)... 'economic refugees' and the carnage caused by Thatcher..
We had no way of staying afloat
We had to leave on the ferry boat
Economic refugees
On the run to Germany
We had the back of Maggie's hand
Times were tough in Geordie land...

Was that not Mark Knoffler?

Applesisapples

Can't find My Way Home (Blind Faith)
Wonderful Tonight
Lay Down Sally

Ronnie

Truthsayer

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 18, 2024, 10:36:52 AM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 17, 2024, 08:44:53 PMSame: Tears in Heaven, Wonderful Tonite... I like 'Why Aye Man'.. was tune for TV series Auf Wiedesen Pet (proby misspelt!) Really caught the migration to get work from Tyneside (same as Ireland)... 'economic refugees' and the carnage caused by Thatcher..
We had no way of staying afloat
We had to leave on the ferry boat
Economic refugees
On the run to Germany
We had the back of Maggie's hand
Times were tough in Geordie land...

Was that not Mark Knoffler?
Jees! So it was! What am I smoking!! 😱

Ronnie

"I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out."

Truthsayer

Quote from: Ronnie on April 18, 2024, 11:29:14 AM"I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out."
Every saint had a past, every sinner has a future...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/eric-clapton-apologizes-for-racist-past-i-sabotaged-everything

Eamonnca1

Tony Baloney

Jell 0 Biafra

Blown outta the water by Sid Vicious doing My Way at the end.  One of the few times when a great movie was made even better by the ending credits.

weareros

Back in the teenage discos in the 80's in the old cold rural dancehalls, when Wonderful Tonight came on, it signaled the start of the slow set. It had the added bonus that if you couldn't find a girl to dance with (or were refused), it was the one slow song that you could at least still play air guitar to until the good stuff started up again.

Peaches and Diesel
His guitar solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps

And if you covet the singers girl on above song, sure might as well write a great song about her too.

Layla

lurganblue

Quote from: weareros on Today at 01:30:51 PMBack in the teenage discos in the 80's in the old cold rural dancehalls, when Wonderful Tonight came on, it signaled the start of the slow set. It had the added bonus that if you couldn't find a girl to dance with (or were refused), it was the one slow song that you could at least still play air guitar to until the good stuff started up again.

Peaches and Diesel

And if you covet the singers girl on above song, sure might as well write a great song about her too.

Layla

might explain future refusals  ;)  ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on Today at 01:45:56 PM
Quote from: weareros on Today at 01:30:51 PMBack in the teenage discos in the 80's in the old cold rural dancehalls, when Wonderful Tonight came on, it signaled the start of the slow set. It had the added bonus that if you couldn't find a girl to dance with (or were refused), it was the one slow song that you could at least still play air guitar to until the good stuff started up again.

Peaches and Diesel

Layla

might explain future refusals  ;)  ;D
;D  Air guitar was acceptable in the 80s!

Puckoon

Wonderful tonight ended up as my wedding song, defaulted as it was one of the few songs the Hungarian band knew in English. You'll note it's not in my top 3. :-X

Clapton maybe wasn't a great choice for this exercise upon reflection - his work with Cream and his solo work is exceptional, and I would have thought it classic rock mainstream, but perhaps not. Added issue is the fact that so many blues songs are reworks of traditional melodies and lyrics so it's hard to be a groundbreaking blues/rock artist outside of guitar virtuosity.

Crossroads
Lay Down Sally
White Room

Puckoon

Peaches and Diesel

Layla

Upstaged Mightily by the wee fella from Minnesota