Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

I dont know if there is a vandetta from the RTE organisation per se.
But there is certainly an unwritten rule that you can say what you want about Tyrone in a way that you couldnt about other places or people.

I believe its started from the like of O'Rourke who didn't like the slating Meath got from Tyrone after '96 and then took the opportunity to slag Tyrone off any opportunity he got. He disliked Dooher in particular, I suppose he saw him as a good man to villanise since he was the victim of a viscous assault from Meath, so if he could portray him as somehow deserving of it then it would make Martin O'Connell seem like a good ole fella. Its a tactic repeated by old school teachers to justify punishments on students so unsurprising coming form him really.... It really must have sickened him to the stomach to see Dooher lift Sam...twice

Spillane latched on to that as well, seeing what O'Rourke was getting away with so he joined in but it was all just a bit of a laugh until we sickened his shite by hammering Kerry out the gate in 03. 05 & 08 musta really broke him.

Then you have Brolly following up on all of that. Firstly he is from Derry so he hates Tyrone as a rule. And then he is an egomaniac and loves the attention of saying controversial things. Clown!

So with these three leading the charge with a weekly tirade against Tyrone and getting broadcast uncensored and unchallenged the rest of RTE and indeed the country think they can say what they like about Tyrone and Mickey Harte. Can you imagine what would have happened that DJ if Mickey Harte was the Dublin or (especially) Lenister rugby manager? Actually even if he was an unknown Joe Soap? He would be picking a boot out of his hole on his way to the dole office.

For me the thing about the sketch is not the "Pretty Little Girl from Omagh" which on its own would likely to have been perceived to be incidental, its the bit about the Dali Lama. Everyone knows why he and his son in law were going to the Dali Lama. The sketch was specifically poking fun at their grief recovery which is completely outrageous.

I would have have to say that the DJ knew exactly what he was doing but he thought that he could it anyway and get away with it.. and guess what???... he was right.

seafoid

Quote from: Jayop on August 21, 2018, 04:16:44 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2018, 03:10:44 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 21, 2018, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 21, 2018, 02:07:25 PM
On its own I wouldn't suspect it was an intentional stroke by Rte but along with years of other personal attacks on people from the county by them over and above any critique I've heard any other county get I'm not convinced it was just down to the dj and not some higher up trying to put manners on Harte. I wouldn't put it past them for a second.
You seriously think there's someone high up in RTE who constantly reminds presenters, analysts, commentators, etc - "Make sure to have a go at the Tyrone lads again" ?

Everyone Tyronie remembers when Spillane made the puke football comment, but very few remember all the times since when he's praised Tyrone. And also don't seem to notice Cavan, Cork, Donegal, Kildare, Roscommon, etc. getting criticised.

I don't think the phrase "it's beginning to follow them round like a bad smell" was ever used for those other counties.

Sure even when Galway reverted to a defensive style this year we were told by a senior RTE analyst it's because one of the back from staff is from Tyrone!

Another senior RTE pundit referred to a defensive Mickey Harte style of play the week Tyrone racked up 4-24 in Croke park.

Honestly I hate a silly conspiracy theory more than anyone but RTEs attitude to Tyrone borders on ridiculous.

Bad smell
Puke football
Less than a man
Bringing the game into disrepute

When one other country has the likes of that said about them year after year then I'll start to believe that there's not a vendetta.
Jayop could you analyse what has been said about the other 31 counties and Kilkenny on RTE since 2003 so we can come to your conclusion. Eamonn O'Hara lambasted Kevin Walsh one time without going near Tyrone.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2018, 05:06:41 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 21, 2018, 04:16:44 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2018, 03:10:44 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 21, 2018, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 21, 2018, 02:07:25 PM
On its own I wouldn't suspect it was an intentional stroke by Rte but along with years of other personal attacks on people from the county by them over and above any critique I've heard any other county get I'm not convinced it was just down to the dj and not some higher up trying to put manners on Harte. I wouldn't put it past them for a second.
You seriously think there's someone high up in RTE who constantly reminds presenters, analysts, commentators, etc - "Make sure to have a go at the Tyrone lads again" ?

Everyone Tyronie remembers when Spillane made the puke football comment, but very few remember all the times since when he's praised Tyrone. And also don't seem to notice Cavan, Cork, Donegal, Kildare, Roscommon, etc. getting criticised.

I don't think the phrase "it's beginning to follow them round like a bad smell" was ever used for those other counties.

Sure even when Galway reverted to a defensive style this year we were told by a senior RTE analyst it's because one of the back from staff is from Tyrone!

Another senior RTE pundit referred to a defensive Mickey Harte style of play the week Tyrone racked up 4-24 in Croke park.

Honestly I hate a silly conspiracy theory more than anyone but RTEs attitude to Tyrone borders on ridiculous.

Bad smell
Puke football
Less than a man
Bringing the game into disrepute

When one other country has the likes of that said about them year after year then I'll start to believe that there's not a vendetta.
Jayop could you analyse what has been said about the other 31 counties and Kilkenny on RTE since 2003 so we can come to your conclusion. Eamonn O'Hara lambasted Kevin Walsh one time without going near Tyrone.

Yeah... and hows his RTE punditry career going now? Did he poke fun at his grief? No he criticized the job he was doing probably got a little personal and got the boot. If he did that to Mickey Harte everyone else would be joining in and having a great ole laugh about it.

imtommygunn

Des Cahill lured him into that to try and get some headlines.

There is a real Jose Mourinho siege mentality with tyrone sometimes. Tyrone's own supporters are even critical of Harte's style of football. It's not that appealing on the eye so if it was anyone it would be slated. To be fair it has got a lot better.

Jim McGuinness and Donegal got equally as much criticism whenever they were playing football which appealed to no-one but themselves and they struggled to shake the stigma off. This is pretty much where Tyrone are at too I would say.

omaghjoe

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2018, 06:06:33 PM

There is a real Jose Mourinho siege mentality with tyrone sometimes. Tyrone's own supporters are even critical of Harte's style of football. It's not that appealing on the eye so if it was anyone it would be slated. To be fair it has got a lot better.

Jim McGuinness and Donegal got equally as much criticism whenever they were playing football which appealed to no-one but themselves and they struggled to shake the stigma off. This is pretty much where Tyrone are at too I would say.

Nice attempt at a straw man, the thread is about RTE treament of Mickey Harte in regardess a personal tragedy in his life.

If you want to compare can you recall RTE ever poking fun at JMG's family tragedy?

lenny

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 21, 2018, 06:17:13 PM

Nice attempt at a straw man, the thread is about RTE treament of Mickey Harte in regardess a personal tragedy in his life.

If you want to compare can you recall RTE ever poking fun at JMG's family tragedy?

No one made fun of micky harte's family tragedy so I don't see your point.

RedHand88

Quote from: lenny on August 21, 2018, 06:53:22 PM

That's just plain old fake news right there Lenny.

lenny

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2018, 06:55:11 PM

It's correct. John murray made fun of harte's pathetic attempt to dictate to rte about their internal promotions. He also played a song which was insensitive and clumsy but I very much doubt was deliberate. There no deliberate attempt to make fun of the tragedy.

omaghjoe

Quote from: lenny on August 21, 2018, 07:03:17 PM

It's correct. John murray made fun of harte's pathetic attempt to dictate to rte about their internal promotions. He also played a song which was insensitive and clumsy but I very much doubt was deliberate. There no deliberate attempt to make fun of the tragedy.

Not true, RTE made fun of Mickey Harte association with the Dali Lama. Whose event on forgiveness he attended with his daughter's widower, clearly part of their grieving process

seafoid

Were Tyrone paranoid when they were winning all Irelands or did it develop afterwards?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Look everyone knows that their sketch was out of line.

Your post basically read that you don't know if it was a vendetta and then more or less went on to say why it was.

No problem with the issue re the daughter but the everyone is against us thing is bullshit. That was how your post read.

armaghniac

You are in Barry bread on the head territory here, only more so, since everyone in RTÉ knew about Mickey's daughter as they made several programmes about it.
I'm also not happy about RTÉ pillorying people on air because they disagree with RTÉ management, that's not what I pay my licence for.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyHarp

Another Lennyism. Talking with confidence about something he knows literally nothing about. The "sketch" as previously mentioned was taking the piss about Mickey attending an event at which the Dali Lama was present. This was a few months after the horrific murder of his daughter, he was clearly trying to find ways to come to terms with his grief. Nobody has a right to judge or ridicule another person in how they deal with such grief, nevermind on a national radio station. The song added a level of darkness to the sketch which lifted it way beyond the realms of a harmless skit and intimated that Murray knew exactly what he was doing. Now, I certainly wouldn't dictate to anyone how they react to a situation like this but I'd support any path they would chose to take. I'd suggest the Tyrone panel and county board and majority of Tyrone people feel the same, hence the continued support for his stance.  Your Lennyisms, I'm sure, are intended to try and wind up Tyrone people but in truth they show a real bitterness and jealously that appears to be gnawing at people in Derry. I hope some day you can just get over it.
That was never a square ball!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2018, 08:18:59 PM
Were Tyrone paranoid when they were winning all Irelands or did it develop afterwards?

This skit would never be done on Pat Gilroy or Jack O'Connor.  It wouldn't?

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 21, 2018, 09:09:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2018, 08:18:59 PM

This skit would never be done on Pat Gilroy or Jack O'Connor.  It wouldn't?

No, it wouldn't. Yes for the obvious reason that they would not risk aggravating these people. But more importantly a lot of listeners would not know who they are, Micky Harte is well known outside GAA  circles because of his daughter and her death.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B