RTE are losing the plot.

Started by Whishtup, August 04, 2013, 07:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

Funny the difference in RTE reports on Brollygate and Today FM this morning.

Today FM had The Roscommon manager, Senan Conall and somebody else on this morning talking about Brolly-all dismissed his rant as ridiculous while acknowledging the type of foul as being frustrating.

RTE had an ex-PAT calling from Sweden who linked these minor issues within the game to the big failings in the Irish Psyche (wha?), some D4 cretin who went of on a cliched rant about how the game is too physical (obvioiusly has no interest in GAA) and then Barry McGuigan on the phone from England who started his spake by saying he didn't actually watch the match but his brother filled him in on some of the bits.  He also went on to talk about how if Sean Cavanagh's tackle was too dangerous he should have been sent off.

Newstalk and TodayFM will drive RTE into the ground if they keep these standards up (or down).

An Gaeilgoir

After listening to the Newstalk coverage over the past two days, they are really setting the standard, top class stuff...

Syferus

Quote from: Whishtup on August 04, 2013, 07:56:01 PM

Today FM had The Roscommon manager, Senan Conall and somebody else on this morning talking about Brolly-all dismissed his rant as ridiculous while acknowledging the type of foul as being frustrating.

RTE had an ex-PAT calling from Sweden who linked these minor issues within the game to the big failings in the Irish Psyche (wha?), some D4 cretin who went of on a cliched rant about how the game is too physical (obvioiusly has no interest in GAA) and then Barry McGuigan on the phone from England who started his spake by saying he didn't actually watch the match but his brother filled him in on some of the bits.  He also went on to talk about how if Sean Cavanagh's tackle was too dangerous he should have been sent off.

Newstalk and TodayFM will drive RTE into the ground if they keep these standards up (or down).

Whishtup

Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2013, 07:58:22 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 04, 2013, 07:56:01 PM

Jaysus, ye don't get away with much here...will John Evans do?

Any craic

What's all this talk about Newstalk being good? More importantly, why can you not get it in NI? I listen to it a lot when I'm in Dublin but when I come back up, it cuts off when you reach the border at Newry.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Liam Hayes on Dublin............................David Brady on Dublin ????

INDIANA

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 04, 2013, 09:35:55 PM
Liam Hayes on Dublin............................David Brady on Dublin ????

all analysts on dublin period.

Tony Baloney

He didn't kill Cavanagh, he said "forget about Sean Cavanagh as a man" or something like that. He'll get over it.

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 04, 2013, 10:02:53 PM
He didn't kill Cavanagh, he said "forget about Sean Cavanagh as a man" or something like that. He'll get over it.

Pretty sure some bucks here said that after they saw his haircut earlier in the year anyways.

BennyHarp

What does that phrase even mean though?
That was never a square ball!!

Any craic

It definitely cuts out as you hit Newry and I definitely can't get it in Belfast. I think it may be a clash with Q Radio who also have that wavelength, so it may just depend where you are, but it's a pity.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2013, 10:21:25 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 04, 2013, 10:20:43 PM

That's what I was thinking.
Well it obviously implies that regardless of his talent as a footballer Brolly believes he has no integrity. An implication with some merit considering his play acting over the years. Again, he'll get over it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2013, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 04, 2013, 10:37:33 PM

Well it obviously implies that regardless of his talent as a footballer Brolly believes he has no integrity. An implication with some merit considering his play acting over the years. Again, he'll get over it.
So "forget about Sean Cavanagh as a man" means "Sean Cavanagh has no integrity". Fair enough.
My take on it. Only Joe knows. He has made waves anyway, Brian O'Driscoll was tweeting about it earlier.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 04, 2013, 10:43:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2013, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 04, 2013, 10:37:33 PM

So "forget about Sean Cavanagh as a man" means "Sean Cavanagh has no integrity". Fair enough.
My take on it. Only Joe knows. He has made waves anyway, Brian O'Driscoll was tweeting about it earlier.

Brian was probably thinking that Sean Cavanagh could get himself a centre position for Ireland with tackling like that.

Whatever point Joe had is lost as he yet again went too personal on Cavanagh.

Joe was speaking from a forwards perspective and in fairness to the three lads on the panel last night all said they'd do the same and expect their team mates to do likewise. There were lads on the team that won Joe his AI wouldn't have thought twice about doing it as well.

The punishment really doesn't fit the crime, thats not Cavanagh's fault, its not the referees fault, its the GAAs fault and some of those bleating about it, their county wouldn't have voted for the black card and its watered down approach which IMO still isn't enough.
Hurling counties were only going to vote for it unless it didn't affect hurling which I don't get as Cavanagh's challenge was no worse than Shane O'Neills from Cork where he took Larkin out with the lash across the midriff, he got his yellow, penalty awarded, penalty saved on the second attempt, no great analysis or criticism of O'Neill.

The black card as it stands just isn't enough, what referee is going to black card more than three players from the one team??

Johnnybegood

Black card would have helped on this ocassion as Tyrone would have been without Cavanagh for the last 20 mins.
Will there be a sanction for an accumulation of blck cards by a given player over a certain period of games?