China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadraicHenryPearse

i heard a young lad (32) who worked for me previously passed away yesterday from covid 19. If it hadnt hit home already how serious this was that news really has. shook and shocked..

seafoid

The Tories are getting a lot of flack from the Tory press.

They are trína chéile. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse for them.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2020, 08:57:09 PM
The Tories are getting a lot of flack from the Tory press.

They are trína chéile. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse for them.

Many Telegraph readers are of the older generation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2020, 09:00:42 PM
Exams are going ahead in the south. How the feck are they managing that? Seems like a poor call.

I think it is doable. While doing an exam you are separated and this separation can be doubled. The issue arises before and after the exam, staggered start times and similar strategies can work here.

Dougal Maguire

I doubt if they'll go ahead but it makes sense not to say anything otherwise it might be difficult to keep kids occupied and instead
Careful now

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2020, 09:08:57 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2020, 09:04:55 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2020, 09:00:42 PM
Exams are going ahead in the south. How the feck are they managing that? Seems like a poor call.

I think it is doable. While doing an exam you are separated and this separation can be doubled. The issue arises before and after the exam, staggered start times and similar strategies can work here.
There are bigger issues than that. When are the kids going to be back in school to be taught for these exams? How do they catch up on the time lost? How many kids will be freaking out at this news? Physically exams can be taken, yes!

They can  do their class  online. These are 18 year olds  for  the most part, adults, not kids. If there are no exams then there cannot be any university admittance, and a whole year would  be lost. Anyone that can't hack studying online won't suit university anyway so it doesn't matter if they don't do the exam.

Milltown Row2

That's pure daft!

Testing for the biggest exams of their lives, but the smart experts on here think they can be taught online  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2020, 10:00:19 PM
That's pure daft!

Testing for the biggest exams of their lives, but the smart experts on here think they can be taught online  ;D

Easy to sneer. They can't be taught in school, what is the alternative?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2020, 10:02:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2020, 10:00:19 PM
That's pure daft!

Easy to sneer. They can't be taught in school, what is the alternative?

Allow the teachers who teach them to do their job, they'll have done assessments I'd assume over the years, and will be better placed to know how well they'll do.

Predictive grades will be used here possibly along with previous tests and course work, this is extraordinary times but putting kids through this while not covered all topics is unfair
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2020, 10:11:56 PM

Allow the teachers who teach them to do their job, they'll have done assessments I'd assume over the years, and will be better placed to know how well they'll do.

I am. I am expecting  them to  continue their classes during this time and continue grading stuff and  so on.

[/quote] Predictive grades will be used here possibly along with previous tests and course work, this is extraordinary times but putting kids through this while not covered all topics is unfair
[/quote]

A levels have components in many cases, the Leaving does not.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2020, 10:25:50 PM

I am. I am expecting  them to  continue their classes during this time and continue grading stuff and  so on.

Predictive grades will be used here possibly along with previous tests and course work, this is extraordinary times but putting kids through this while not covered all topics is unfair
[/quote]

[/quote]

They can't teach via the computer. If that's the case why have schools, classes or teachers for that matter

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2020, 10:38:49 PM
Does every pupil have access to a computer at home? The internet?

Are they expected to be able to learn from home? When was this explained to them? Have they had any experience of this previously? Have they had adequate training on it? Have teachers been given adequate training on teaching remotely? Are they able to cater for all learners? Special Educational Needs pupils with entitlement to Classroom Assistants?

It is simply wrong. It is heaping added pressure on young people in what is already an anxious time for them.

So what  is the solution? Some test done last year which the student never expected to count for anything? That doesn't pressume people?

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2020, 10:30:10 PM

[/quote]

They can't teach via the computer. If that's the case why have schools, classes or teachers for that matter
[/quote]

No, they cant teach as well by computer.  I have to hire and train people on complex machines from 2m distance in the coming weeks. I don't know how I'll do it but it will get done. This is our new reality so professions will have to deal with it. Predictive grades? You can't be serious. Sut exams and grade on a curve if you must but give people a fair chance.

Will it ever end

Michelle O Neill certainly came out swinging tonight... i definitely don't agree with the way they've went about criticising publicly the health minister & health service when their fully aware of the constraints within the country.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2020, 11:33:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2020, 10:30:10 PM

[/quote]

No, they cant teach as well by computer.  I have to hire and train people on complex machines from 2m distance in the coming weeks. I don't know how I'll do it but it will get done. This is our new reality so professions will have to deal with it. Predictive grades? You can't be serious. Sut exams and grade on a curve if you must but give people a fair chance.
[/quote]

30 kids per class of mixed abilities are being taught topics via the internet and expected to sit exams is fair?

Have you kids? Would you be happy for your kids to be put through the biggest exams of their lives to date by online teaching?

My wife is currently using the various methods of teaching mediums, kids aren't logging on some have no internet or limited access or data to use. But yeah those who are disadvantaged will lose out those that require extra tuition can't get it.

Personally I wouldn't be happy for my kids (both going GCSE and A levels)  to be reliant on a teacher putting up lessons and the stuff being taught correctly, kids from previous years have been given a full years learning these haven't.