Best Concert ever

Started by heganboy, September 14, 2016, 06:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

I'm looking for big hits:  the best gigs (who and where)
and the big misses: and the acts you with you'd got to but never did.

Miss for me was Queen, by all accounts spectacular.
Also never got to see his royal grumpiness Van Morrison

Big Hits:
Luka Bloom Mandela Hall QUB 93 maybe
Simple Minds in the RDS August '89 (texas opened remember Charleen Spiteri?)
U2 that concert in Botanic Gardens- more the occasion than the performance
the 4 of Us in small session in Belfast at the Black Box about 5/6 years ago
Bruce Springsteen Giant stadium NJ '09
Coldplay giant stadium 06 (no hating, Richard Ashcroft opened)
The Verve- Slane
Christy at the Point March 17th '94
Oasis in Cork '96

notable mentions which were great at the time, but have somewhat diminished with age

bryan adams at dundonald ice bowl '91
Bon Jovi in the Ulster hall maybe '90

2 useless facts for you - the ulster hall was where led zeppelin played stairway to heaven for the first time, and Handel's messiah was first played in fishamble in Dublin

by the way the worst thing I ever paid money for was to watch the wolfe tones in an Irish bar in New jersey. An embarrassment for all concerned

There was a thread for 1st real concert which was great - here http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20482.0
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

DownFanatic

Ash at the Fresher's Ball October 2004 in Mandela Hall. Sweat infused mayhem.
Enjoyed Slane in 2003; QOTSA, Foo Fighters and RHCP headlining. They were excellent that day.

ziggy90

Springsteen and The E St Band, Ricoh Arena, Coventry earlier this year.
Springsteen and The Seger Sessions Band, NEC Birmingham.
Slade, Birmingham Odeon, 1974 (ish).

Misses.
The Spencer Davis Group and Tom Petty.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

johnneycool

A sunny Slane  in 1992;

Headlined by Guns and Roses in their pomp, supported by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Faith No More!

Didn't get any better back in the day

omagh_gael

Kings of Leon (before they went commercial) October 28th 2004 at the University of Liverpool!

The Subbie

Quote from: heganboy on September 14, 2016, 06:42:37 AM

I'm looking for big hits:  the best gigs (who and where)
and the big misses: and the acts you with you'd got to but never did.

Miss for me was Queen, by all accounts spectacular.
Also never got to see his royal grumpiness Van Morrison

Big Hits:
Luka Bloom Mandela Hall QUB 93 maybe
Simple Minds in the RDS August '89 (texas opened remember Charleen Spiteri?)
U2 that concert in Botanic Gardens- more the occasion than the performance
the 4 of Us in small session in Belfast at the Black Box about 5/6 years ago
Bruce Springsteen Giant stadium NJ '09
Coldplay giant stadium 06 (no hating, Richard Ashcroft opened)
The Verve- Slane
Christy at the Point March 17th '94
Oasis in Cork '96

notable mentions which were great at the time, but have somewhat diminished with age

bryan adams at dundonald ice bowl '91
Bon Jovi in the Ulster hall maybe '90

2 useless facts for you - the ulster hall was where led zeppelin played stairway to heaven for the first time, and Handel's messiah was first played in fishamble in Dublin

by the way the worst thing I ever paid money for was to watch the wolfe tones in an Irish bar in New jersey. An embarrassment for all concerned

There was a thread for 1st real concert which was great - here http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20482.0

Simple minds and Texas in the RDS was the first proper gig I went to and remember it because I was allowed to go because I passed my inter cert ! Great gig.

Before The Verve played Slane they played at the SFX on the North Circular Road, 97 I think , right at the height of Bitter sweet symphony, brilliant brilliant gig.

Prodigy in the point depot , 1998, brilliant.

Creamfields 2001, Mosney, messy but good messy.

Faithless , Dublin Castle , 2005, the day after Monaghan beat Meath with the last kick of the game to win the Div 2 National League. Brilliant brilliant few days!

Alabama 3 , Mc Hugh's Drogheda, 2006. Probably the best proper live performance I have ever seen.

Muse , Marley park , 2008 I think. Up there with the best of them.

Stone roses at a festival in Sydney, Randwick racecourse, 2013, the festival wasn't great but scratched a long term itch by seeing the stone roses live, they are playing the Sydney Opera House this coming Dec, tickets got, can't wait!!!!

blewuporstuffed

The Chili peppers/foo fighters/Qotsa at sale in 2003 as mentioned above was excellent (the start of a great weekend with Tyrone beating Kerry in the infamous 'puke football' game the next day.

Pearl Jam in the O2 in London 2009 was fantastic.

Arcade fire at the Point 2010

Bon Iver at the Point

Radiohead  @ Marlay park

I have seen the Frames quite a  few times and always enjoy the show they put on, The Forum Theatre in melbourne was probably my favourite, although a Glen Hansard solo show in the ulster hall a few years ago was superb too.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

maigheo

Moving Hearts final appearance in the national stadium October 1982

bennydorano

Saw loads of Irish & British bands in my younger years, nothing outstanding springs to mind. Fella called Hat Fitz, an Aussie married to an Armagh girl was best show I'd seen locally ever (Blues), he reappears here occasionally and tours in Oz extensively I think. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Saw Air twice a few years back, in Dublin & Belfast. Dublin gig in Olympia theatre was fantastic. Belfast gig in Waterfront was a bit sterile.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on September 14, 2016, 01:32:06 PM
Saw loads of Irish & British bands in my younger years, nothing outstanding springs to mind. Fella called Hat Fitz, an Aussie married to an Armagh girl was best show I'd seen locally ever (Blues), he reappears here occasionally and tours in Oz extensively I think. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Saw Air twice a few years back, in Dublin & Belfast. Dublin gig in Olympia theatre was fantastic. Belfast gig in Waterfront was a bit sterile.
Appears at the 7 Hills Blues Festival in Armagh every few years with Cara Robinson. Meant to go on more than one occasion and didn't manage it but have heard good reports.

J70

Springsteen RDS in '88
Levon Helm in Beacon Theater 7 or 8 years ago (voice was almost shot from the cancer, but still an amazing presence and gig)
Fun Lovin Criminals at Olympia (or was it Gaiety?) in late 90s - very fun gig. Even Bono was there.
Brian Wilson in Hammerstein Ballroom (he is odd and awkward as f**k, but the sheer beauty of the music...)
Arcade Fire in Barclay Center in 2014
Avett Brothers at MSG earlier this year. My wife is the fan, and it would have been better in a smaller venue, but excellent concert.
Kris Kristofferson at Point in early 2000s

Regrets - didn't get to see The Highwaymen when they came to Dublin in early 90s- Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson

theskull1

For me it was Nirvana - Kings Hall 1992
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mouview

Leonard Cohen in Lissadell House, Sligo, was good.

AZOffaly

Brendan Shine in the hall in Clarinbridge during the Oyster festival back in 1993 or so. Savage stuff :)

charlieTully

Quote from: johnneycool on September 14, 2016, 10:30:44 AM
A sunny Slane  in 1992;

Headlined by Guns and Roses in their pomp, supported by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Faith No More!

Didn't get any better back in the day

that was some day. Saw faith no more in the ulster hall circa 1990, first proper gig, stage diving the lot, that was me hooked for life on gigs. Saw nirvana in kings halls but was actually a bit disappointed with them on the night.
RHCP Ulster hall, blood suger tour, Oasis at witness and Wembley were great gigs. metallica at the odyssey was immense. Saw New order just a week ago at electric pinic and thought they were outstanding. the stone roses at tenants vital was brilliant. Caught a band called girl band last year at EP and it was one of them gigs that just blew you away. King kong company from Waterford brilliant live. I could go on all day tbh.

miss- not going to the stones at slane.