County Convention

Started by Don Draper, November 27, 2017, 01:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Laois secretary Niall Handy was not holding back in his appraisal of the county senior footballers' campaign this year.

Writing in his report for the annual convention which takes place next Monday night (December 4th), Handy states that 'player indiscipline' contributed largely to their poor performances in 2017.

The Laois sec goes on to allege that the players were 'devoid of any passion and pride in a Laois jersey' when they took on Kildare earlier in the year.

"Whilst poor performances and inept defending all contributed, I have no hesitation in stating that player indiscipline conspired to relegate us to the bottom tier of league football, with a total of eight players during our league campaign failing to complete their games," writes Handy.

He did go on to say that it would be unfair to put all the players in the same category.

"I know some players are hurting from our poor performances and the accusations and allegations that were associated with these and I honestly believe this panel has the potential to be competitive and progress further than their results have in recent years, and with their renewed commitment I believe this can happen."

BallyroanAbu

As far as I can see nobody is prohibited from being nominated to the County Board, it's probably daunting for a lot of people. There is a lot of work and abuse so a thick skin is advised,  I would not agree with a lot of what they do but to give a blanket negative is unfair.  I do agree we need to improve but to do that people need to put their name forward.

SCFC

Leavy will run against O'Neill. Could surprise a few people. Will get plenty of "protest" votes. Can see him getting Heath, Clonad, Park Rath anyway.  :D
Will also get Port, Emo, O'Dempseys, Courtwood. Strong possibles then would be Strad, Timahoe, Annanough.
I haven't a clue how the hurling clubs will split on the two runners.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on November 28, 2017, 07:23:01 PM

Personal? And you compare him to Dick Miller, who dragged this county from self destruction! Now that's a personal insult right there.

Do enlighten me
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

Have you a link to his report?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Toomanygaels

I am a very active member in my club and on average I would say I put in at least 15 hours a week into the club. I can't even imagine the work and time involved in the role of county chairman, it would be unbelievable. Therefore any person that gives that time you have to admire them to a certain degree.

But I am terrible disappointed and disheartened that we haven't anybody of a reasonable level of capabilities in the County with a huge Gaa interest to go for the role. If either one of these were a clubman of mind and going for the role of Chairman in my club, I would leave no stone unturned to make sure they didn't get it.

I don't buy Mortimer reasons for withdrawing at all. After winning the vice chairmans role last year and particularly after beating O'Neill to it, he was seen as chairman elect. Why he would take on that role and then pull out to of the elections this year "to support someone else" makes no sense to me

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 29, 2017, 11:07:25 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on November 28, 2017, 07:23:01 PM

Personal? And you compare him to Dick Miller, who dragged this county from self destruction! Now that's a personal insult right there.

Do enlighten me
What? You don't recall the county being in financial ruin? Memories are short around here.

Don Draper

Quote from: Toomanygaels on November 30, 2017, 02:13:50 AM
I am a very active member in my club and on average I would say I put in at least 15 hours a week into the club. I can't even imagine the work and time involved in the role of county chairman, it would be unbelievable. Therefore any person that gives that time you have to admire them to a certain degree.

But I am terrible disappointed and disheartened that we haven't anybody of a reasonable level of capabilities in the County with a huge Gaa interest to go for the role. If either one of these were a clubman of mind and going for the role of Chairman in my club, I would leave no stone unturned to make sure they didn't get it.

I don't buy Mortimer reasons for withdrawing at all. After winning the vice chairmans role last year and particularly after beating O'Neill to it, he was seen as chairman elect. Why he would take on that role and then pull out to of the elections this year "to support someone else" makes no sense to me
Excellently put

steven seagal

This election is like asking the clubs of Laois if they would rather drown or be burnt alive

Don Draper

Quote from: steven seagal on November 30, 2017, 10:04:28 AM
This election is like asking the clubs of Laois if they would rather drown or be burnt alive
Its like being put in a room with the two candidates and being given a gun with two bullets. You'd shoot yourself twice, just in case.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Don Draper on November 30, 2017, 10:25:28 AM
Its like being put in a room with the two candidates and being given a gun with two bullets. You'd shoot yourself twice, just in case.

Harsh but  :D :D :D ;D

Giovanni

Why wouldn't you shoot the two candidates and do the job yourself?? A rhetorical question, of course. I think some of the commentary is very harsh. I don't know either of the candidates but there is not much point in talking about mystical visionaries who haven't put their name forward.

clonadmad

Our new chairman can hardly lecture our current players on indiscipline when he received a 2 month ban himself

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/clubs-out-of-laois-u-21-championship-after-brawl-52266.html

clonadmad

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on November 30, 2017, 01:46:34 PM

Why wouldn't you shoot the two candidates
You're condoning murder there. Thats a very serious charge to be making.