2018 O'Byrne Cup

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 16, 2017, 01:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Woolly is spot on. These winter competitions should be gotten rid of. Completely meaningless.

Unlaoised

The good

The hunger from the new players

Munnelly looking fitter than ever

Nearney  Holland and Lowry

More speed in the team

The Bad

How light we are

The lack of a system or game plan

Running out of options

The Limerick game is only 20 days away

Glad John had the guts to go with the two different sides takes balls to do that as a previous poster said knowing the knives would be out from the armchair fair weather fans.

I for one will be behind the team big time and look forward to the campaign ahead.

I think they are playing a college team in a friendly this Thursday!
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoisguy

Wednesday and Friday challenges against college s

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoisguy on January 08, 2018, 04:43:56 PM
Wednesday and Friday challenges against college s
Great to hear. Players will want games, and Sugrue can fine tune his team ahead of Limerick. S'all good.

Butch Cassidy

Where are the challenge matches on lads? Be interesting to see if he has cut anyone since the 2 games.

What's the latest on the injury front?

Laoiseabu

Would Limerick be any good?

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Laoiseabu on January 08, 2018, 05:56:28 PM
Would Limerick be any good?

About the same level as us I would say!!

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on January 08, 2018, 03:54:35 PM
I will say one other positive thing - it took balls to put out two completely different inexperienced teams in the O'Byrne cup. We were unlikely to win either game and it immediately puts pressure on the manager. A manager with no vision or less self belief would have tried to get a home win yesterday to keep people off his back.

Personally, given a choice between putting out last years team and getting promoted to Div 3. or a new team that shows potential for the future and competes well enough in Div. 4 without promotion, I would choose the latter.

Look I like Sugrue,  but there are many other ways of interpreting what he is doing.  A manager is judged by results not some hotchpotch of potential,  It's all fine to give Sugrue a break in the  O Byrne Cup but at some point  he will have to be seriously analyzed.   Regardless of what some on here think this is very much a results based business, of course we cut Sugrue a break because of his inexperience and we understand what he is trying to do but there does come a point where results will be what he is judged on.  The first thing he must do regardless is manufacture the return of Mr D Kingston to the Laois Set Up or before he starts he faces a very serious handicap.  This is one of the first tests of his management if Donie is not back in soon there is not a hope in hell he will be championship fit.     

Tony

Lads need to calm down a bit. Expectation is at an all time low. Give all involved a chance. John has a huge job to do and it needs time. It might get worse before it gets better but if lads are thinking of running him if Donie doesn't return for example, those lads should turn off their laptops. Donies decision is his decision and not Sugrue's.

BallyroanAbu

Whose running him Tony ? What I said is that the return of Donie Kingston is one of the tests of his management.  In fairness he will be given time and I think most people would understand the job he has to do.  I think Sugrue will succeed but in the end results will be the determining factor.  I don't think I have said anything outlandish in that.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

QuoteThe first thing he must do regardless is manufacture the return of Mr D Kingston to the Laois Set Up

This is a quote from John Sugrue's interview and it gives us an insight into the way he is thinking ..
QuoteA lot of the most positive fellas so far are the newcomers as far as I'm concerned. They've shown a real freshness and a real appetite for this thing and   they really want to play for Laois.

Unfortunately Donie doesn't want to play for Laois so I can't see John running after him. Maybe he thinks Div.4 is beneath him or something but I can't see John making serious efforts to get him to play if he hasn't the heart for it.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Laoisguy

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on January 09, 2018, 12:38:28 AM
QuoteThe first thing he must do regardless is manufacture the return of Mr D Kingston to the Laois Set Up

This is a quote from John Sugrue's interview and it gives us an insight into the way he is thinking ..
QuoteA lot of the most positive fellas so far are the newcomers as far as I’m concerned. They’ve shown a real freshness and a real appetite for this thing and   they really want to play for Laois.

Unfortunately Donie doesn't want to play for Laois so I can't see John running after him. Maybe he thinks Div.4 is beneath him or something but I can't see John making serious efforts to get him to play if he hasn't the heart for it.

The big D doesn't feel like training with the panel
Well my view is it would have a terrible effect on group think if he waltzes back in May shouting at inexperienced guys bursting there gut if a pass wasn't timed correctly

Culture needs to change and I think that's Sugrues real major issue to address

BallyroanAbu

In theory your right, of course every player should want to play for Laois.   But Culture is an intangible,  It could take 5-10 years to implement a culture and just as likely you may not succeed.  Managers are in the business of results.   Many of you may not agree but Donie Kingston for the last 2-3 years has held Laois together and because he has become disillusioned he left.  Is this not an indictment of previous set ups ?  John Sugrue in my opinion must try to persuade Kingston back in regardless of culture and what other players may think.  He simply must be persuaded and if things are as good or as positive as they seem to be he then may buy into the setup.  One place he is not going to buy into the setup is on the couch watching T.V.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2018, 11:10:11 AM
In theory your right, of course every player should want to play for Laois.   But Culture is an intangible,  It could take 5-10 years to implement a culture and just as likely you may not succeed.  Managers are in the business of results.   Many of you may not agree but Donie Kingston for the last 2-3 years has held Laois together and because he has become disillusioned he left.  Is this not an indictment of previous set ups ?  John Sugrue in my opinion must try to persuade Kingston back in regardless of culture and what other players may think.  He simply must be persuaded and if things are as good or as positive as they seem to be he then may buy into the setup.  One place he is not going to buy into the setup is on the couch watching T.V.
You believe he hasn't tried?

You believe he won't try again?

A lot of assumptions there.

Unlaoised

I think Donie will be back especially with Paul being so heavily involved...

Do his body no harm to get a break and come in refreshed say in late Feb or march!

Pauric clancy did it a few years back under McNulty and he was like a new man and gave the team a great boost.

Anyone know where they are playing the college teams and what times...

I heard O'Moore park on Wednesday evening but I'm not sure if thats true!

LAOIS ABÚ