2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Quote from: SCFC on February 09, 2018, 11:45:45 AM
Quote from: OTF on February 08, 2018, 08:09:14 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 08, 2018, 04:01:59 PM
Yeah it's slowly starting to look like the team of old again. Be interesting to see what youngsters hold down places for championship. Strong, Timmons, Booth, Conway, Quigley , Kingston, O Connor , Buggie , have to come back and suddenly it's the same team as last year .So I don't know how long this new team business will last for.

Read and listen to above in relation to Donie, there'll be no "have to come back" everyone has to earn their places on this team.
They may very well make it but they'll be in a lot better shape than they have been these past few years
I think to be fair "have to come back into contention" is what was meant.
Come the championship, there's a reasonable chance that Timmons, Quigley, Strong and Donoher will be there or thereabouts.
It's good to see a few new lads getting their chance to date.
I'd expect us to beat Waterford by a big margin.

Having read it again I agree and if my comment appeared to be dismissive it was not the intention.

Tony

Good to get the 2 points vs Waterford. I couldn't make the match this week but encouraging to see Donie back and a lot of lads getting good game time. 3 wins from 3 is very positive and a nice 2 week break now for some lads coming back from niggles to push for some game time vs Wicklow. Antrim only got a point today against a 13-man Wicklow. We really need to drive on now and get this promotion. Looking like a 3 horse race with Laois, Antrim and Carlow. From what I can see, Carlow will be our biggest threat - they're playing very good football this year and look hungry and fit. John Sugrue post Waterford : https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/john-sugrue-post-waterford

County Man

Nice to have 6 points after 3 rounds. Puts us in a good position in the promotion hunt. Wicklow in Aughrim next up followed by a massive game at home against Antrim.

Guys can knuckle down in training for the next 2 weeks knowing we are on track.

To sum up the first 3 rounds....  there was a fine crowd in O'Moore Park for round 1 against Limerick. A 9 point victory flattered us but 2 good goals scored and held Limerick to 9 points. Danny O'Reilly impressed in that game with Gary Walsh on top form. Was good to see a lot of new faces been given their chance to impress.

Round 2 away in Carrick on Shannon was quite impressive for the first 55 minutes. Paul Kingston impressed and again Gary Walsh was on fire. Evan O'Carroll had a good performance as well. Trevor Collins got a good goal. Ross Munnelly came off the bench and got 2 points. Have to continue to stay switched on when cruising at 15 points up. Was disappointing to concede the 3 late goals against Leitrim but hopefully it will be a learning curve. We played a good brand of football that day apart from the late blip.

Round 3 against Waterford.... asked us more questions. We were always in control in first 2 rounds. In this game, Waterford made a fine start, 0-2 to 0-0 up and then 1-3 to 0-3 ahead. I was impressed with the increased intensity from then until half time played in horrible conditions. Alan Farrell and Kieran Lillis kicked good scores and Walsh again was a thorn in Waterford's side.

Holland and Collins are doing very well covering a lot of ground. Colm Begley showed great leadership in both halves. Great to see big Donie back and he got 2 nice points. Danny O'Reilly has good pace. Ross encouraged the younger guys throughout the 70 minutes. We grinded out a deserved win. Good patience in the build up play.

Hopefully we can have Attride back for the Wicklow game.

Laois Abu!

on the hop

It was mentioned earlier that a lot of the older team have drifted back and it's looking like we are going to need them. A lot of the new players have been poor in the last two games. We were very poor for long periods and got on top when they ran out of steam but at that stage, strong, Donie and Donagher we were on. We have conceded four goals in the last two games and you would have to question the defensive shape of the team. Time and again we were left two on two with a half field to themselves, that and the insistence on playing from the front especially nerney has caused us huge problems. He has been very poor. There two inside forwards scored 1-5 from play, more than our starting full forward line. Can't see the point of Holland rambling up the field when he has the pace to be a sweeper. We are also very narrow with Collins and Dillon pushing in towards the centre. This allowed all three teams that we have played to have an out ball on both side lines. Waterford had a man right on the line both sides and worked around the heavily congested middle. Management really need to work on this we are getting. Badly exposed again last night and especially in Leitrim.

BallyroanAbu

My own opinion is that we needed to have the current period that we are now in.   Sugrue is changing the mentality of players,  Laois have been poor for quite a while and something needs to change.   The team of the previous two years suffered two relegation's,why some on here believe going back there will yield different results.  The players lads are talking about were fine Players 5 years ago but unfortunately due to a variety of issues have not been playing the same ball.  I am sure 1 or 2 of them might get back in but that's it.  We have to begin rebuilding and focus on what's coming through maximizing them, till we get our underage in order.  I mentioned in other page about the U20's and the whole delayed appointment it does not to do players any favours.  Let me say this if we do not get our underage setup right we are not going anywhere fast.  I think Sugrue is doing a good job,  and this will stand to Laois in the long run.

We have been conceding goals easily for 3-4 years now, not just this year.

on the hop

we conceded 9 goals last year and 11 the year before at a higher level. we have conceded 4 in the last two games against much inferior opposition I would have thought a defensive plan to improve this would be a priority.

BallyroanAbu

We conceded 3 against Wicklow who are of this parish in championship,  of course we need to improve defence but it was legacy issue for Sugrue.

I would go further in is rife in the Club Championship, we don't defend well.

Unlaoised

My Ratings for Waterford game

Again its only an opinion and I don't mean to be hard on any player I am greatful they give their time and effort to the Laois team and I love to go and see them play!

Brody 7-Did well not many saves to make overall kick outs long and short were good took one very dangerous ball in the first half under pressure but looses a mark for one in the same half that drifted across the goals.Got some nice darts off the ball when coming out which eventually the ref punished.

Holland 7-Decent performance by the young Portlaoise man he was excellent in the first half and one of the better backs in my book does tend to drift a little but that will come with more experience.Harshly judged by the ref to have fouled twice in the second half when he got in front of his man to clear.

Nerney 5-Not one of his better games but he will learn from this and he was on a quality player in Hutchinson who scored 1-3 from play I think.Its a work in progress for the young man but his pace is a good asset to have.

Fennell 5-Wasn't able for the number ten who went inside for most of the game and really troubled him in the first half he stuck to his task tho despite being up against it and didn't commit lazy fouls which he could have easily done.

Collins 6- In and out of the game his runs forward were good and he looks very fit but he needs to improve on his tackling and positional awareness .Tries hard and got one great assist.

Begley 7-Did well for the most part but left too many gaps in a period in the first half where Waterford got 1-2 in the space of five minutes.He was very good in the second half and was the catalyst for Laois in their dominant period winning breaks and dominating his area of the pitch.

Dillion 5-Not one of his better games but I suppose a five is harsh needs to learn how to tackle as he has the pace to stay and get back to most players should back himself more going forward and run directly at goals instead of to the corners which will open up teams.

O'Loughlin 8-One of his better games in a Laois shirt for a while won very important kickouts and battled well around the middle did commit a few fouls in the first half but at least he is willing to tackle and stop runners through the middle which is a problem for Laois.

Lillis 6-Kicked two superb points one with the outside of the boot was as good as you'll see.tackling was okay but he played a few stray passes forward when he was under no pressure .Caught for pace a few times when trying to get back to a Waterford runner but tried hard.

A Farrell 6- Kicked a lovely point on the run after a great Laois move and covered a lot of ground.strong on the solo run and one of the better Laois players to tackle which wouldn't be hard.Hand passing is a skill he could work on.

P Kingston 8-I thought he was superb won everyball that came his way and found Laois men everytime with a lovely range of passing long and short.Did tend to look too much to Donie when he came on but thats second nature to him and they will work scores from it.

O'Reilly 6-Wasn't man who covered more grass than this man but he tend to solo into blind alleys he needs to get a pass off when he beats one man or takes the ball on the run.His support play is excellent but his tackling and defending from the front is very weak he needs to work on lads walking around him.

Munnelly 7-Hard to fault Ross one great score before half time cutting in from the right to roll back the years and showed a level of fitness that a 20 year old would be happy with.Hard to leave him out the next day on this showing!

Walsh 9-Laois's best player I thought was out of it a little in opening period missing two scorable frees in that period but from then on he was a constant treat and showed skill power and no lack of determination in his play on the field.Becoming the player for his county now we all knew he could be.

O'Carroll 4-Looked out of sorts from the start but did ship a few hard knocks I'd say his game in midweek had taken a lot oout of him and he couldn't seem to get going at all.Had one good run and won a free at an important time was replaced at half time by Donie.

Donie 7-Two superb points and could have had another he really showed well for the ball and while not in the best sahpe yet it looked promising .Looked very motivated and this can only be a good thing for Laois.

Strong 6-A little off the pace but thats to be expected not getting much game time one superb block to stop a certain score was calm on the ball as you'd expect.

Donoher  5-Harsh maybe on Niall but got little ball and never really got into the game kicked one very poor wide with his right when there were other options which is unlike the Courtwood man.Looks in great shape like so many of the Laois team this year!

Glynn 5-Not on too long so rating could be agin harsh he kicked two terrible balls away when an easy pass was on to Donie or Ross but he certainly adds strenght and power to the team and won the ball back with one great tackle .

Buggy 5-Same as Glynn rating is more a reflection of how little time he got .

Over all it wasn't a great performance but a few highlights included Donie coming back ,O'Loughlin and Munnelly still showing why they are on the team.

Paul Kingston and Gary Walsh look like they will be a potent force for the rest of the championship.

Bad points

scores we conceded without a hand being laid on a player  out tackling has to be improved or we will be in trouble.

Not a bad crowd for the evening that was in it and they certainly got behind the team which is encouraging!

Wicklow next which will a tough battle as always down there but if we can get over that its looking good.

Carlow seem to be the form team so far and them and Antrim will be in the shake up.

I can't wait to go over to London as well it should be a great trip !!
LAOIS ABÚ

blueandwhite1

Super update Unlaoised. Appreciated from one who couldn't make the match.

Might take the whole league and several showings to decide whether some of the young backs are going to make it (as it is pretty much the same forwards as last few years). Of all the new lads, Holland and O'Riely seem to be showing strongest.

Great to see Paul Kingston finally finding a niche on the team.

When is Colm Murphy available? Would be great to see him in the league.

The PRO

Wouldn't argue with much of that unlaoised.
Fair enough Nerney had a tough night but that's the standard of players he should be aspiring to match. Same goes for Fennell.
Full back line is unforgiving at times.
Thought Farrell was poorer than your review. He isn't a natural forward for me.

theoldvet

Good post unlaoised
talking to supporters after the game
we are all saying that our tackling and defending is very poor
i'm sure Sugrue know this,  when I see them new young Kerry defenders
I say why can't we defend like them

Butch Cassidy

Great post unlaoised.

Looking at the club championship the defending is very poor. I think the art of tackling has been ruined by teams playing blanket defences and players not getting coached how to tackle.

Anyone been to Laois training and know what tackling drills Laois are doing? Have Laois a defence coach?

Don Draper

Quote from: theoldvet on February 13, 2018, 07:52:21 PM
Good post unlaoised
talking to supporters after the game
we are all saying that our tackling and defending is very poor
i'm sure Sugrue know this,  when I see them new young Kerry defenders
I say why can't we defend like them
Because our young players havent been coached like those Kerry players. Those Kerry players are All Ireland Minor winners. Ours barely won a game or two in Leinster, and the team that got to a Leinster Final had their arses handed to them.

Sugrue knows their limitation. They are being worked on. The players are being tanned. The work is going on. There is no let up. The league is important insofar as wins are vital, and they are being collected while the work goes on on the bigger issues. Its important to keep getting the wins, because it keeps c***ts like us off their backs while the real work goes on behind the scenes. I'll take any win, breathing room, promotion, and signs of progress. Anyone who expects to see us play like Kerry just yet, needs to reset their expectations. This is going to take time. Give him the time. The players are.

blueandwhite1

I'd be very sceptical of the idea that we can train grown men how to tackle successfully. For a start if you don't have pace you can't get close enough to tackle which is still a problem for way too many of our senior footballers. Tackling skills are embedded from when lads are 12-14 and pace is untrainable.

Joe Higgins and Cahir Healy were already tackling like pros when they were 17/18.

Also, there is a difference between a blanket defence and a successful blanket defence. When Tyrone and Armagh were in their prime they would all filter back and dislodge the ball or draw a foul if you tried to run through them. Laois under McNulty were good at times too. Under O'Flaharta for example we had a blanket defence and conceded huge scores.

We are suffering from years of poor underage teams and of an annual influx of 2-3 talented and pacey footballers into the senior ranks. We had the best underage structures in the country for many years and blew it when we thought we had 'done the job'. As for the quality of our clubs and club championship....

Tony

To be honest, a lot comes down to luck, too. The underage setup now is as good or better compared to what it was in the 90's or 2000's. I played with a lot of the lads around the time of our 90's minor success. And I swear, there was talent coming out of everywhere at that time. Most club teams had at least 3-4 inter county standard players. The underage structure and setup wasn't a whole lot different to what it is today. I think a lot of people overestimate the setup then, and underestimate the setup now, based on it's product of talent. My point being : sometimes in a county as small as Laois, you can have waves of years where you have plentiful talent, and you can have waves where you're struggling a bit. Of course, training and development comes into it, but when you have genuine top level raw talent, it doesn't take a lot at all to harness that into a very good senior player.