Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beano

Now that TOF is gone , we as supporters have to ask ourselves who would want this job.

It seems to me the norm for a manager in this county is :

1) Abuse from supporters about style tactic etc.

2) Lack of respect from players

3) Not having access to the best players.

4) Even media getting in on the abuse.

I'm not saying TOF was above criticism and I was the first to be critical over the past two weeks especially over tactics and fitness. His time was up but the personal abuse that he seems to be getting from social media and internet isnt on.

Take our previous manager Justin McNulty .  During his time all he got was:

1) Abuse from supporters about style tactics etc.

2) Lack of respect from players

4) Even media getting in on the abuse.

During his time , we contested an all-ireland 1/4 and went out to years in a row to the previous all-ireland champions , we were one of the fittest teams in Ireland, had a professional set-up with stats men, a brill s+C coach in barry solan, yet people weren't happy. Will this be any different in two years time?? This leads me to the question: What do we  want?  I for one would rather my county kicking football into late july/august rather than been out by the third saturday in June.

There seems to be alarm at our lack of underage success which is true however if our senior football team hasn't go the backing off everyone in laois (fans, potential players, county board, professional set -up) all the talent and underage success in the world won't do.

Aristo 60

Jim McGuiness will take this on to show he was no flash in the pan. Mark my words.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unison

I have every confidence that our County Board will do everything in their power to appoint someone who can "take Laois to the next level", as they did on 2013.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: redsetanta on June 24, 2015, 01:01:35 PM
Jim can stay where he is.

I think Beanos point has been proven with this post. Even the great Jim McGuinness wouldn't be welcomed here.

Don Draper

Quote from: beano on June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

You seem to put a lot of stock into the feelings of a few cranks on an internet forum.

Every county has its cranks, even Jim McGuinness wasn't universally loved in Donegal. Dont believe different. Cheddar isn't here. Its how it is. Its mental, but thats the human psyche for you, we're mental.

Ask yourself why TOF didnt have "access to the best players" for a second. Then name the players, just for the shits and giggles.

OTF

Quote from: Unison on June 24, 2015, 01:31:52 PM
I have every confidence that our County Board will do everything in their power to appoint someone who can "take Laois to the next level", as they did on 2013.
[/

In fairness to him, he never did say whether that level was lower or higher.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

magpie seanie

Laois are better than what they have shown in recent years. I think it would be quite easy to get a better manager than TOF.

heffo

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2015, 09:52:06 AM
Laois are better than what they have shown in recent years. I think it would be quite easy to get a better manager than TOF.

It seems that every manager for the last fifteen years has been ran out of the place whether he was internal or external.

laoislad

Quote from: OTF on June 24, 2015, 10:15:26 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on June 24, 2015, 01:01:35 PM
Jim can stay where he is.

Tongue in cheek ???
Not that he would want to take Laois over anyway but is McGuinness not getting more heavily involved in Celtic? I thought I read somewhere he is interested in getting his UEFA coaching badges.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Don Draper

Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2015, 10:13:27 AM

It seems that every manager for the last fifteen years has been ran out of the place whether he was internal or external.
O Flatharta resigned.

heffo

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2015, 12:41:54 PM

O Flatharta resigned.

I know that but there have been a single Laois supporter who would've wanted him to stay had he not resigned straight away?

Don Draper

Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2015, 12:43:39 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2015, 12:41:54 PM

O Flatharta resigned.

I know that but there have been a single Laois supporter who would've wanted him to stay had he not resigned straight away?
Hard to know, he didnt speak to anyone after the match find out.