Wireless (internet) help

Started by lfdown2, October 21, 2008, 08:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

just moved into a shared house, the guy that set it up has moved out and he had set up the wireless on the laptops in the rest of the house, so when i go to set up and its asks for the network key no-one has a notion what im talking about!

is there anyway i can find the network key from their internet settings or the like, the provider is virgin and the router is netgear if that is of any benefit.

cheers.

Shamrock Shore

Connect the laptop to the wireless router directly with a network cable

You then need to query the modem to get the WAP key. If you were an eircom customer then you would visit http://192.168.1.254 and you would see it immediately.

Find out who the service provider is and ring the help desk to find out how to query the router

Rois

Ours is on the bottom of the netgear router thingy, have you looked there?

lfdown2

cheers folks, no rois not exactly sure where it is, il ask them this eve!

Muzz

There is no point quering the modem you need to query the router.  The router will be a DSL router as you are dealing with cable. 

Do what Shamrock said - connect to the router with a network cable.  Go to internet explorer and in the address bar type 192.168.0.1.  It should ask for a Username and Password.  Hopefully your housemate did not change the default password.  The Username should be admin.  The Password should be admin. 

If he has changed the password there is a master reset button on netgear routers.  You will need to reset it and then the defaults should work but you will have to set the router again to work with Virgin.

Hope this helps

ONeill

Have you tired turning it off and on?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

How many people here use their neighbours wireless Internet?

How many people's wireless Internet is unprotected?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tbrick18

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been having problems with my wireless D-Link router. I can connect to the router no problems and my signal strength is strong. However, I cannot access the internet through the router....it just hangs there. Now I've went through the entire set up process again by directly connecting the router to my pc and setting up my service provider login credentials and when connected that way access to the internet is fine and very fast. But as soon as I try accessing the internet wirelessly (sp?) it hangs again. I've resorted to using a wired modem which is a pain in the backside.

Any help would be appreciated.

Square Ball

Quote from: Orior on October 21, 2008, 12:14:16 PM
How many people here use their neighbours wireless Internet?

How many people's wireless Internet is unprotected?

not me

and yes it is, there was a bloke that used to park at thr top of our street and always had a laptop with him in the car, he wasnt from the street, thats when I passworded it. when we log on with a laptop we would have access to about 2 other unprotected ones.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Rois

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 21, 2008, 12:20:53 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been having problems with my wireless D-Link router. I can connect to the router no problems and my signal strength is strong. However, I cannot access the internet through the router....it just hangs there. Now I've went through the entire set up process again by directly connecting the router to my pc and setting up my service provider login credentials and when connected that way access to the internet is fine and very fast. But as soon as I try accessing the internet wirelessly (sp?) it hangs again. I've resorted to using a wired modem which is a pain in the backside.

Tbrick, do you have a work computer?  I always have to try to connect to my work server before it will let me on the internet, I just have to pretend to want to connect to it and put in wrong passwords.  But for some reason, the internet always works ok after that.  Have never figured it out.

deiseach

If you can access the router configuration page then you should be able to access the Wireless Setup page. Rename Wireless Network Name (SSID) to something that will distinguish your network from those of your neighbours - tbrick18 would be ideal - set Wireless Security Mode to WPA-Personal and enter a secure(ish) password in the Pre-Shared Key box. Apply those settings and log into the tbrick18 network using the Pre-Shared Key. 

Orior

I had a similar issue. It turned out to be interference from another wireless device - one that allowed me to watch cable TV in another room. Try switching any other wireless devices aff.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on October 21, 2008, 12:09:39 PM
Have you tired turning it off and on?

Surely you would have to turn it on and off hundreds of times before tiring.

I went for the nothing unusual option. :)
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

tbrick18

Quote from: deiseach on October 21, 2008, 12:41:02 PM

If you can access the router configuration page then you should be able to access the Wireless Setup page. Rename Wireless Network Name (SSID) to something that will distinguish your network from those of your neighbours - tbrick18 would be ideal - set Wireless Security Mode to WPA-Personal and enter a secure(ish) password in the Pre-Shared Key box. Apply those settings and log into the tbrick18 network using the Pre-Shared Key. 

Have done all this several times already....the problem is not with connecting to the wireless network, it seems to be the router connecting to the internet is the problem.

tbrick18

Quote from: Orior on October 21, 2008, 01:23:07 PM

I had a similar issue. It turned out to be interference from another wireless device - one that allowed me to watch cable TV in another room. Try switching any other wireless devices aff.
I have a couple of freeview boxes in the house...s'ppose it could be that. I'll give it a go...cheers.