Christmas - is it class or not?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, December 16, 2007, 09:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I love Christmas - all aspects of it do you?

Yes, Christmas is class
No, Bah humbug

stew

Quote from: SeanSouth on December 20, 2007, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 19, 2007, 08:53:34 PM
Love the Christmas dinner, but love going to Mass on Christmas Eve/Morning, you meet people you haven't seen in ages (ones home from abroad etc..). Class.

That isnt always a good thing, where i come from when people have been away, Uni/working abroad, they had a habit of coming home at Xmas with a pierced nose and an English/American accent.............

People like that  sicken my shite and I pull them on it, I hate that aul false uppity nonsense.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Stew, you probably have more than a few americanisms in your own vocabulary however militant you would try to be to exclude them, and while your accent may not be noticeable to you, Id be surprised if your friends/family at home didnt notice a change in how you speak (however slight it may be) due to your time in the US.

Quote from: stew on December 20, 2007, 06:30:31 PM
Love the Christmas dinner, but love going to Mass on Christmas Eve/Morning, you meet people you haven't seen in ages (ones home from abroad etc..). Class.

That isnt always a good thing, where i come from when people have been away, Uni/working abroad, they had a habit of coming home at Xmas with a pierced nose and an English/American accent.............

People like that  sicken my shite and I pull them on it, I hate that aul false uppity nonsense.

I have relatives with the same attitude and their attitude sickens my shite as the facts of the case are this:
If I had the time or effort to put into having a false uppity nonsense accent, Id like to think Id use it a little differently.  Any changes (and lets be honest here, we all still retain our irish accents the only noticeable things are a word here or there in any sentence) in my pronounciation and intonation would be completely accidental or involuntary. If someone was to pull me on it Id firstly inform them they had little to be worrying about, then wish them a nice day! Too many people seem to get a bee in their bonnet about this rather innocuous and accidental artifact of long term emmigration. Guess it goes back to our irish attitude on keeping people in their place - lord help anyone who appears to have steped outside the box. Every now and then I notice my wife absentmindedly saying something with a slight omagh twang to it. It happens.

Puckoon

That isnt a bunch of americanisms my shit stirring friend, and you know it. :D
Recognized terminology of the poker world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_poker_terms

except maybe arsehole, I think I got that one from my da.

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 20, 2007, 06:25:19 PM
How do you get through the family Christmas thing without using an empty wine bottle to bash someone's head in?

Simple, you empty the bottle first. After that who cares.

Fishbat

Have to agree with Puckoon on the accent thing - people accents do change slightly at the very least, if ye want people to understand you overseas ye have to pronounce things a little different as opposed to your usual spakes with the lads.

Do ye think any americans coming into the deepest depths of ireland have any notion whatsoever what the conversation in the bars are about?  they tend to sit and laugh when you laugh then crack a joke now and again.

personally speaking, no-one understands me wherever i go - a master of mumbling.

Pints - maybe safer sticking to those bags of wine....just in case

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Minder

I wonder did people that were running about the shops yesterday realise the world didnt end today and the shops will  open again tomorrow
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on December 20, 2007, 06:45:01 PM
Stew, you probably have more than a few americanisms in your own vocabulary however militant you would try to be to exclude them, and while your accent may not be noticeable to you, Id be surprised if your friends/family at home didnt notice a change in how you speak (however slight it may be) due to your time in the US.

Quote from: stew on December 20, 2007, 06:30:31 PM

I have relatives with the same attitude and their attitude sickens my shite as the facts of the case are this:
If I had the time or effort to put into having a false uppity nonsense accent, Id like to think Id use it a little differently.  Any changes (and lets be honest here, we all still retain our irish accents the only noticeable things are a word here or there in any sentence) in my pronounciation and intonation would be completely accidental or involuntary. If someone was to pull me on it Id firstly inform them they had little to be worrying about, then wish them a nice day! Too many people seem to get a bee in their bonnet about this rather innocuous and accidental artifact of long term emmigration. Guess it goes back to our irish attitude on keeping people in their place - lord help anyone who appears to have steped outside the box. Every now and then I notice my wife absentmindedly saying something with a slight omagh twang to it. It happens.

If some tosser goes to say Engerland and a year later shows up with an englis accent to me that is contrived nonsense and they look like fools in my eyes. I love the sister in law to death but she has that aul english accent thing going on and it does my head in because it is false bullshit and yes she acquired the accent in about a year.

I dont worry about it, i just think it is ridiculous. My accent has mellowed after nearly 13 years away but I dont sould like a yank and never will.

I am all for people stepping outside of the box as you put it but it is irritating when you know people who have been away for five minutes while and they come up and talk to you and they sound like they were had left the streets of London or New York.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.