RTÉ to show live National League and club championship matches

Started by oakleaflad, January 10, 2019, 10:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Itchy

About time RTE did something useful on GAA in the league. Lets hope the highlights show gives us highlights and not Pat and Joe talking shite for 3/4 of it.

joemamas

Quote from: Itchy on January 10, 2019, 01:38:53 PM
About time RTE did something useful on GAA in the league. Lets hope the highlights show gives us highlights and not Pat and Joe talking shite for 3/4 of it.

So true, the amount of coverage that Soccer and Rugby relative to GAA excluding the winter months on their website is very noticeable.

As for the content aspect, I could easily make the argument that the producers of those shows, Sunday game etc, have zero interest in the game itself, and are just looking for a reaction from viewers to a controversial comment.

If I were the director general of the GAA, I would privately say to RTE, your product is pure shit and for the most part is unacceptable, get your act together or we will produce our own highlights program and either stream (and take the ad revenue, after all it is our product.) or sell it to a tv channel who can do a far better job.

when broadband is finally  ::) widely available in Ireland , there may very well be a dramatic shift in viewer habits.

Blowitupref

No surprise to see an improvement in RTE GAA coverage as soon as Ryle Nugent has gone. Next step has to be a new and fresh pundit team.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

magpie seanie

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 10, 2019, 02:08:12 PM
No surprise to see an improvement in RTE GAA coverage as soon as Ryle Nugent has gone. Next step has to be a new and fresh pundit team.

+1

BennyCake

When you think of the money RTE spend on showing Champions League games where nobody has any affiliation to the teams involved (Fenerbahce v Basel or the likes), this will cost peanuts for them.

Hopefully it's a change in direction for soccer and rugby-obsessed RTE.

Orchard park

Quote from: joemamas on January 10, 2019, 01:54:07 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 10, 2019, 01:38:53 PM

So true, the amount of coverage that Soccer and Rugby relative to GAA excluding the winter months on their website is very noticeable.

As for the content aspect, I could easily make the argument that the producers of those shows, Sunday game etc, have zero interest in the game itself, and are just looking for a reaction from viewers to a controversial comment.

If I were the director general of the GAA, I would privately say to RTE, your product is pure shit and for the most part is unacceptable, get your act together or we will produce our own highlights program and either stream (and take the ad revenue, after all it is our product.) or sell it to a tv channel who can do a far better job.

when broadband is finally  ::) widely available in Ireland , there may very well be a dramatic shift in viewer habits.

I believe that has been very directly told to mcbrnnett within days of he taking the role

Rossfan

What's the chances of them getting a few decent pundits?
Or maybe just show action and let the viewers watch in peace.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on January 10, 2019, 06:49:23 PM
What's the chances of them getting a few decent pundits?
Or maybe just show action and let the viewers watch in peace.

There is hope because the new RTE's head of sport Declan McBennett has a GAA background.

Ball Hopper

Show a game a few days later, with the home local radio commentary from the Sunday. 

giveballaghback

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 10, 2019, 07:08:29 PM
Show a game a few days later, with the home local radio commentary from the Sunday.
Jaysus God forbid, Im referring to local commentary here, most of the chaps on local radio have a very skewed view of the world outside their own county,
Good to see rte getting involved but they must cover the lower divisions.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 10, 2019, 08:03:29 PM
Jaysus God forbid, Im referring to local commentary here, most of the chaps on local radio have a very skewed view of the world outside their own county,

It would get a huge viewership from outside the hardcore fans for the comedy/cringe factor.  At least most league games will be shown...and the hardcore fans always have the option to use the mute button. How about visiting team commentary for the first half and home team for the second half?

Definitely worth pursuing, in my opinion.

giveballaghback

thewobbler

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 10, 2019, 08:03:29 PM

It's a league system. The teams at the top are better. They're more interesting, more topical, more well known, more likely to draw an audience. Basically, more people will tune in, and the GAA benefits from the exposure.

Demanding that they show matches between lower-level teams is wrong. This isn't a communist system here, it's a league system. Want a higher profile? Get promoted.