Are you leaving?

Started by DrinkingHarp, January 12, 2011, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

How many heading to OZ will be back in a year, i think out of the 20 or so people i know who went to OZ, only 1 has been out for more than a year. Its a year on the beer for most of them

thebigfella

Quote from: Mario on March 01, 2011, 12:02:48 PM
How many heading to OZ will be back in a year, i think out of the 20 or so people i know who went to OZ, only 1 has been out for more than a year. Its a year on the beer for most of them

Exactly a year's drinking holiday visa is not emigrating in my book. Figures are no where near as bad as we are led to believe, how many of them leaving are Irish nationals too?

mannix

I left nearly 20 years ago because I wanted to see the world and still am away, I lived in Ireland for a year until last august when I went back to NYC.I loved living there and always blend right back
Ireland is number two in the world for foreign direct investment in high skilled labour, educate your children today and they will not have to leave tomorrow would seem to be the thing to do.
And finally, leaving Ireland to see the world is not a bad thing. It makes you see things in a different light.

maddog

Will be away 20 years in August, sometimes i would think about it and it would bother me but most of the time im content enough where i am. I find when i go home that its sort of claustophobic after a few days, i suppose its natural when you are used to your own space. Could i ever live back home again ? I dont know - id like to think so but is that just the rose tinted specs, the economic reality is that i have to work and there would be the sum total of feck all back home for me so its not an option at the minute. Have a strong network of friends here most of whom would do anything for you even more so than back at home and that is hard to beat. Still i love to get home when i can and always enjoy hooking up with old friends for a few jars and if i can get to watch Armagh then its a bonus. (Havent had much call this last few seasons mind). If i ever do move home it will be to Armagh or somewhere within a few miles, Dublin or Belfast sure i might as well stay where i am.

Puckoon

I'll be gone 9 years in June. Seems like a lifetime in all honesty - and just a touch short of a third of my life - and most of my adult years. Will be landing home in Dublin on St Patricks day - home for the first time in 4 years and I am chomping at the bit to get there. Not focused on work or anything at the minute as its so close. Far too long to be away from home without a trip back and I won't come close to 4 years again.

The Iceman

Quote from: Puckoon on March 01, 2011, 06:06:32 PM
I'll be gone 9 years in June. Seems like a lifetime in all honesty - and just a touch short of a third of my life - and most of my adult years. Will be landing home in Dublin on St Patricks day - home for the first time in 4 years and I am chomping at the bit to get there. Not focused on work or anything at the minute as its so close. Far too long to be away from home without a trip back and I won't come close to 4 years again.
great to hear this Puck glad you got everything sorted!!!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on March 01, 2011, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 01, 2011, 11:22:53 AM
Will be returning in 5 weeks..!

Fair play, good to hear of someone going the other way!
Is it for good, or just for a visit? If it's for good, do you have any work lined up?
Possibility of a bit of work here and there for the summer but planning on a year masters in september. Could be hitting road again after that but will cross that bridge when come to it sure!

trileacman

Have just heard 54 young fella's have left Trillick since the collapse of the tradesman work here. There are 3 brothers out of the one house all away.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ardal

Now I feel old. Haven't really lived at home since I left; Irish wit, to study in the britland. Didn't stay too long there either. I would never have guessed that I've been away for nearly 20 years until Mannix and Maddog mention their years away.

Could never move back now; I'm serving 25 years in prison for murder, worse I'm not even sure I'd want to.

Ireland, lovely country to visit, but would you want to live in it?

Justa personel opinion.

bigfrank

Do we have any board members living in perth??? Friend of mine headin soon....was hoping to pick your brains about a few things......

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: bigfrank on March 22, 2011, 10:26:35 PM
Do we have any board members living in perth??? Friend of mine headin soon....was hoping to pick your brains about a few things......

Been in Perth since September lad, working fly-in-fly-out, so only there one week in 3 (less really, cos I travel a bit wwhen I'm off).

Pretty sure Aerlik is the resident Perth member, though he is a Docker...
Hasta la victoria siempre

el_cuervo_fc

Umgolaarmagh is out in Perth too since last October. 

theskull1

To all those who live abroad

Is there anywhere else on the planet worse than Ireland for litter (I'm not talking about squalor)? We have a huge number in our population who appear to have no idea what a bin looks like. That says alot about the respect the irish have in their own country when you see so many shitting on their own doorstep
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AbbeySider

Quote from: theskull1 on March 23, 2011, 08:48:48 AM
To all those who live abroad

Is there anywhere else on the planet worse than Ireland for litter (I'm not talking about squalor)? We have a huge number in our population who appear to have no idea what a bin looks like. That says alot about the respect the irish have in their own country when you see so many shitting on their own doorstep

Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Morocco