Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeog

Pearse Doherty must be the next leader imo streets ahead of Dublin Mary.

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on December 17, 2019, 03:23:43 PM
Maryloo always reminds me of the type that becomes Chair of some local "action group" set up to oppose something.

A career politician.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: BennyCake on November 28, 2019, 05:21:17 PM
Without trying to defend SF/DUP, it's not just their fault. Pre-recession, there was always lengthy waiting lists. Stormont is handed loose change from London and told to sort out the north. They never got enough money or never will.

WHAT?!?! That is utter balls man!

Per head, the amount of money this place gets is monsterous.

Its mostly pissed away by decisions or non-decisions in Stormont. So no getting away from it - its all on SF & DUP.

QuoteIn 2018/19, public spending per person in the UK as a whole was £9,584.
In England, it was £9,296 (3% below the UK average). This compares with:
• Scotland: £11,247 (17% above the UK average)
• Wales: £10,656 (11% above the UK average)
• Northern Ireland £11,590 (21% above the UK average).

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04033/SN04033.pdf
i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

Quote from: Ambrose on December 17, 2019, 02:24:05 PM
FF seem happy enough with the current arrangement. Can't see either of the main parties wanting to go into a coalition with SF.

Ah now, you are not that naive are you. The slippy FF gangsters were staying away from Brexit while at the same time holding the minority government to ransom. They'd sell their mothers to be in power and will jump into bed with just about anyone to do it.

johnnycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 17, 2019, 03:54:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 28, 2019, 05:21:17 PM
Without trying to defend SF/DUP, it's not just their fault. Pre-recession, there was always lengthy waiting lists. Stormont is handed loose change from London and told to sort out the north. They never got enough money or never will.

WHAT?!?! That is utter balls man!

Per head, the amount of money this place gets is monsterous.

Its mostly pissed away by decisions or non-decisions in Stormont. So no getting away from it - its all on SF & DUP.

QuoteIn 2018/19, public spending per person in the UK as a whole was £9,584.
In England, it was £9,296 (3% below the UK average). This compares with:
• Scotland: £11,247 (17% above the UK average)
• Wales: £10,656 (11% above the UK average)
• Northern Ireland £11,590 (21% above the UK average).

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04033/SN04033.pdf

Whilst you're not wrong on the obligations of SF and the DUP in how money is spent here I think it would be remiss not to bring the cosy cartel at the top of the various Civil Service branches under scrutiny.

Take health for instance, far too many different trusts and the top heavy overheads there.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: johnnycool on December 17, 2019, 04:20:08 PM
Whilst you're not wrong on the obligations of SF and the DUP in how money is spent here I think it would be remiss not to bring the cosy cartel at the top of the various Civil Service branches under scrutiny.

Take health for instance, far too many different trusts and the top heavy overheads there.

Oh absolutely agree with you that the civil service bears a massive responsibility for the farce in infrastructure and services here despite the money poured in over a sustained period of time.

But whose job is it to sort the civil service out if not the politicians?

i usse an speelchekor

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 22, 2019, 08:41:39 PM
Any truth in the rumour that Mr. O'Muilleoir is going to throw his toys out of the pram & do a Prince Andrew?

Ah...my prediction a month ago on here was spot on then!!!!

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 17, 2019, 04:39:18 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 17, 2019, 04:20:08 PM

Oh absolutely agree with you that the civil service bears a massive responsibility for the farce in infrastructure and services here despite the money poured in over a sustained period of time.

But whose job is it to sort the civil service out if not the politicians?

The buck stops with ministers and of course the civil service is full of civil servants which doesn't help but Stormont has been down more than it's been up and that causes all sorts of problems. If we had some sort of functioning government, heaps of these issues would be sorted, even if was populated with SF and DUP politicians.

playwiththewind1st

There are several problems:
1). Most Stormont ministers that are appointed are simply not up to the task of running a department.
2). The 2 major parties will continue to divide the spoils up between them, to ensure that their pet projects and wee local 'community' groups are fully funded, thus extending their power, patronage & influence.
I honestly don't see the talent's there & the 'we need an Executive' mantra will start to sound very hollow when they get ministers in place & then we suddenly remember how crap local politicians really are, when they're let loose.

marty34

Problem is these people shouldn't be in charge - we'd need Michael O'Leary to come in to certain portfolios and wipe out the middle management and wasteage.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 17, 2019, 04:43:06 PM
Any truth in the rumour that Mr. O'Muilleoir is going to throw his toys out of the pram & do a Prince Andrew?

Elaborate. All I can say is he has the creepiest handshake I've ever had. Always to be suspected. Was like a wet fish

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 17, 2019, 05:11:02 PM
There are several problems:
1). Most Stormont ministers politicans that are appointed are simply not up to the task of running a department.

Fixed that for ya.

Another one of the reasons I think representative democracy is a load of sh|t.  If any of the politicans had to submit a CV for interview for the post, I'd wager very few would be read beyond the 3rd or 4th line before making shapes for the bin.

The number of politicians that are qualified for a ministerial role tends to zero. That is not unique to NI (or the UK).

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 17, 2019, 05:11:02 PM
2). The 2 major parties will continue to divide the spoils up between them, to ensure that their pet projects and wee local 'community' groups are fully funded, thus extending their power, patronage & influence.
I honestly don't see the talent's there & the 'we need an Executive' mantra will start to sound very hollow when they get ministers in place & then we suddenly remember how crap local politicians really are, when they're let loose.

Agreed. Stormont returning is not going to see resolution to much. Just moving the blame around from one bunch of inept f88kwits (civil service) to another bunch of inept f88kwits (politicians)
i usse an speelchekor

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 17, 2019, 05:54:53 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 17, 2019, 04:43:06 PM

Elaborate. All I can say is he has the creepiest handshake I've ever had. Always to be suspected. Was like a wet fish

Don't need to! I was told a month ago that he had fundamentally disagreed with the decision to stand aside in South Belfast in the general election & that he had decided to go. My source proved correct, after all.

under the bar

So the rumours that there's a video about to emerge of MO'M  and Ian Óg spit-roasting  Little-Penguinly are wide of the mark then?  Shame!