Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

U21 Championship Semi-final: St Patrick's 2-13 Killeavy 0-10

The under 21 championship finally swung back into action after a long hiatus as St Pat's faced the challenge of Killeavy on Sunday afternoon. With no neutral pitch available, the sides had been forced to toss a coin to decide on venue and luck decided that it would be Cullyhanna who faced the journey to play this vital match at their opponent's ground. Despite the lack of familiar surroundings, St Pat's did not take long to settle as an early Rory O'Neill point opened the scoring. Kieran Hoey added another score on 6 minutes before Cullyhanna took a huge stride forward when full forward Rory McMahon reacted the quickest to a shot which rebounded off the post. Rory made no mistake in finding the net to put his side 5 points ahead after 11 minutes. Killeavy did manage a replying point, however on fifteen minutes Rory McMahon dealt a second decisive blow when an excellent passing movement resulted in another McMahon goal. Seven points behind after the first quarter, Killeavy had the odds stacked against them by this stage but narrowed the gap with a free. Prospects of a revival were lessened somewhat when Cullyhanna managed a trio of points in succession from Robbie Tasker, Eoin McArdle and Kieran Hoey to extend the advantage to nine. To be fair to Killeavy they fought back and managed four points in the final 7 minutes of the first half, three of which were from frees. Further scores from Kieran Hoey and Robbie Tasker ensured that their side enjoyed a comfortable halftime lead on a scoreline of 2-7 to 0-6.

With the game threatening to get beyond Killeavy, the home side needed a good start to the second half and began with a pointed free. A Kyle McEvoy point following a Robbie Tasker pass extended the St Pat's advantage before the best piece of play of the second half saw Genie McCooey win possession and link well with Kieran Hoey before releasing Kyle McEvoy through on goal. Though Kyle's long range goal effort was well saved, Robbie Tasker was on hand to gain some consolation with another point. 13 minutes into the second half, a great individual run by Tony Donnelly led to Robbie Tasker notching point with the outside of his boot. By this stage St Pat's were well on top and although Killeavy pointed two frees either side of a Kieran Hoey point, the result never really looked in danger during what was, in truth, a fairly lacklustre second half. Killeavy kicked a further point to bring themselves within two goals but although they attempted to create goal chances with high balls in the direction of the square, the Cullyhanna backs defended stoutly and never seemed likely to concede the goals which Killeavy so desperately needed. Indeed it was St Pat's who finished the match the strongest as points from Kieran Hoey and two excellent Robbie Tasker scores ensured safe passage to the County final for the Cullyhanna men.

While semi-finals are all about the winning, it was pleasing to see St Pat's overcome the penultimate hurdle with a measure of style and comfort. Without a match for 6 months, this was always likely to a tricky assignment but the team can now look forward to renewing acquaintances with old rivals Crossmaglen Rangers in the final. Best on the day for St Pat's were Pearse Casey who had an excellent match at midfield and Robbie Tasker and Kieran Hoey who were a constant threat up front. Rory McMahon also deserves great credit for his opportunism in dispatching the match winning goals.

Starting XV: Deaglan McArdle; Micky Murray, Colm Hoey, Sean O'Neill; Genie McCooey, Niall McShane, Eoin McArdle (0-1); Tony Donelly, Pearse Casey; Rory O'Neill (0-1), Kieran Hoey (0-5), Kieran Nugent; Kyle McEvoy (0-1), Rory McMahon (2-0), Robbie Tasker (0-6). Subs Used: Cathal O'Neill, Eamon McArdle
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

thewanderer

Quote from: Shamrocks forever on November 05, 2010, 10:02:33 PM
Lads dont be getting carried away ok il admit cross are a great team im just saying as past while theyve been ott in their physical approach its not how football should be played any1 with a bit of sense would admit cross have got away with murder in numerous games and any1 who knows anything about politics in football would know ballinderry always get a raw deal from the derry county board ie the james conway saga what a joke that was. Ps the shamrocks have consistinley won championships not bad for a we parish on the derry tyrone border plus we play our own players unlike cross who down the years and still to this day poach all the best players from parishes around them :) :). Oh forgot to mention they have no1 to play to win the championship in armagh most teams are rubbish bar maybe 2  :P.
having taken in the burren game it proves that derry football must be shit and indeed ballinderry must have gone to the dogs as they let coleraine beat them. at least cross are getting tough matches before going into the ulster championship.

Applesisapples

Some of the debate on here has taken a seriously abusive form. I'm not from Cross so no axe to grind. They dominate football in Armagh and Ulster because of their structures and approach to the game. Yes like most clubs they benefit from so called blowins from time to time. All clubs do, people marry and move into parishes, in fact it probably happens less now than in the 50's and 60's with mobility, players go back to the home club irrespective of where they live. I wouldn't agree with most of the Ballinderry man's posts, but he is entitled to make them, after all if we didn't have different opinions there wouldn't need to be a board.

Anyway to move on, does anyone think Cross will beat Burren?

gander

Think Cross ended up winning by 4 points in the U21 semi on saturday, although Middletown where winning by 6 points early in the second half.

crossfire

Good luck to Killeavy under 16's in the Ulster final on Sunday.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 07, 2010, 06:35:48 PM
Now now TAC. That's not how things work, you should know that by now! Was Tasker playing? I'd say a brave few of that u21 team are a part of your senior set-up? Bodes well for the near future for your club though I thought Killeavy would have put up a better fight, especially at home.

7 of that team would be regular Senior starters. Hadn't realised myself it was that many. Another 2 county minors as well who'll be challenging for first team berths next season. Very promising side with 4 players involved with Armagh u21s this year. Crossmaglen are rarely easily beaten however.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

twotwocharlie

would fancy burren to give cross a sterner test than St Galls

should be a decent game weather permitting.

IVEDECIDED

where is that game and what time??

JUst retired

I think it is in Casement park. Not sure of the time.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: JUst retired on November 09, 2010, 06:42:21 AM
I think it is in Casement park. Not sure of the time.

CVasement 2.30 I think i read.

el_cuervo_fc

14-11-10 (Sunday)
Grange St Colmcilles v Corduff Gaels
12-45pm Casement Park

Crossmaglen Rangers v Burren St Marys
2-30pm Casement Park

Applesisapples

angermanagement

HIGH BALL CENTRE FIELD

In relation to the comments made by Phil Stuart and some other ballinderry members on this board, I would like to state that this is NOT the opinion of most people in Ballinderry. In 2006 & 2008 the 2 best teams in Ulsterat the time contested the Ulster Final and on each occassion the best team won. Everyone knows that cross have a physical aspect to their game but they also have some great footballers and a great team spirit. Ballinderry has always strifed to meet the winning standards that cross has set. We would always be the first to congratulate them for their success. Over the past few years Ballinderry and Crossmaglen have had a good relationship especialy when cross came down to Ballinderry last year to play in the Conor McCusker tournament and the cross players will tell you about how good a night it was. Letters in papers by men who have left the parish 50 years ago and comments made here recently do not reflect the real feelings of the Ballinderry Shamrocks Club. I hope the Crossmaglen people will not sour the good relationship between the club because of the pettiness of a few people.

PS - I would like to wish Cross and all the other teams the best this weekend and may the best teams win. We will be watching with a little bit of jealously!

illdecide

Fair play High Ball, but to be fair i don't think too many on this thread would have took that other fool serious
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch