Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IVEDECIDED

Hard luck to Cross. Valliant effort. First final defeat in years - the start of the decline??? Only time will tell, I doubt it though.

qub la la la

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on March 17, 2009, 08:22:09 PM
Hard luck to Cross. Valliant effort. First final defeat in years - the start of the decline??? Only time will tell, I doubt it though.

first final defeat since 1982. Kilmacud well worth the win, cross just didnt seem to get started at all. Time will tell but i would be suprised if one or two stay on for another go at it. In saying that im sure there'll be no hasty decisions.

gaahead2008

hard luck to cross, it was there's for the taking. they gave a huge effort in the second half - big donal mustve blew his top at half time!!
thought aaron kernan tried hard, oisin's first point was unbelievable!
i have no doubt the cross lads will be back next year, with even more grit and determination!!

under the bar

I heard from Cross suppoter that it is well known around the town that Francie has already decided not to return to inter-county football.  Anyone else hear that?

winsamsoon

Hard luck cross today but it has to be said Kilmacud were the better side. I thought they outmuscled cross today which is not an easy job. The middle of the field for Cross again wasn't the best and Kilmacud were picking up most of the breaks. The ball into their forwards was also very good allowing the man to get out in front and the ball was delivered on the right side. A few of the Cross lads tried to lift it but i just got the sense that they had just threw the towel in. Towards the end there was a shot showing a reply and you could see 4 or 5 cross lads hanging their heads resigned to defeat (i can't say i have witnessed this before) I thought the ref today was once again a little more leniant towards the Crokes. He was letting them knock it in a little bit more imo but hen again some of the cross fouls were cynical (and they have got away with a few of them in the past) All in all a great side and record that will never be beaten by an Armagh team. I hardly think it will set any alarm bells of in cross. I would say, knowing the nature of the beast it will spare them on for highier achievements next year.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: under the bar on March 17, 2009, 10:01:55 PM
I heard from Cross suppoter that it is well known around the town that Francie has already decided not to return to inter-county football.  Anyone else hear that?

Heard that aswell, duno where, but his return to the county setup was always in doubt. Disappointing that Cross didn't do the business but on the day Crokes wanted it that bit more

crossfire

When, and where, do Armgh under 21's play Cavan.??

Carbery

Quote from: crossfire on March 18, 2009, 03:29:52 PM
When, and where, do Armgh under 21's play Cavan.??

Athletic Grounds, Armagh, tonight (Wed) at 8.00pm

TacadoirArdMhacha

Tonight in Armagh but from the thread on the General section there's a bit of debate as to whether the match is at 8 or half 7.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Onion Bag

Its in the Irish news as a 08:00pm throw in
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

IVEDECIDED

Quote from: gaahead2008 on March 17, 2009, 09:51:07 PM
hard luck to cross, it was there's for the taking. they gave a huge effort in the second half - big donal mustve blew his top at half time!!
thought aaron kernan tried hard, oisin's first point was unbelievable!
i have no doubt the cross lads will be back next year, with even more grit and determination!!

I believe this was said last year when St. Vincents thumped them. Its getting harder for Cross to defeat teams like Crokes and Vincents and even Dr. crokes the other year should have beat them. The old heads are exactly that now - old! Not as much left in the tank and the youger ones arent anywhere near as effective. Of course they will win Armagh again and prob Ulster but in my opinion that is a sad indictment of Ulster club football. Galls, Ballinderry etc actually lie down to Cross and play into their hands but teams of the quality of Crokes etc certainly dont. I honestly beleive thats the end of this Cross team  on the All- Ireland stage. I said after Vincents beat them they had one more year to add another and now that has gone. Thank God and I dont mean that in a nasty way - its really time other teams round here woke up again!

bennydorano

Yeah, I'd agree there seems to be a chink of light for the Armagh teams.  Cross new breed aren't in the same league as the Mac's, McConvilles etc...  They'll probably break the consectutive Co Champ record next year and then I would doubt there will be much more to motivate them.  The Cross without the oul hands will still be formidable but beatable.

qub la la la

Quote from: bennydorano on March 18, 2009, 04:54:12 PM
Yeah, I'd agree there seems to be a chink of light for the Armagh teams.  Cross new breed aren't in the same league as the Mac's, McConvilles etc...  They'll probably break the consectutive Co Champ record next year and then I would doubt there will be much more to motivate them.  The Cross without the oul hands will still be formidable but beatable.

they never were unbeatable. they are just a very good team, who play well as a team. I agree that the individuals like the mcentees, oisin mcconville, etc are exceptional players but to say the are only beatable without these players is wrong. different teams down the years could and maybe should have beaten them but just didnt have the bottle.

IVEDECIDED

I agree that they were never unbeatable but they have never been beat (In Armagh) which is testament to them but also a sad reflection on the other teams. Although to be fair some teams have been extremely unlucky rather than not having the bottle. Back at the start the Clans had them played off the park twice (1997 and 1998) Mullaghbawn had them beat in a first round game and the Ogs had them beat at Keady one night only for some very questionable refereeing! Dromintee were unlucky once or twice particularly in one of the finals however having played them 8 or 9 times being unlucky once or twice is not good enough so Drom cant really complain. Next few years will be interesting cause although Cross may well be on the wane, so too are the other teams!! Clans are rebuilding big time as are the Harps and Mullaghbawn, Dromintee arent quite the team they were which leaves the Ogs and they are as unpredictable as they are capable. Cross could win another few by default!  :o :o

The GAA

Given their recent resurgence at underage level and the demography of their team. cold cullyhanna be the next challengers?