Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PTC

Quote from: befair on September 18, 2023, 04:40:36 PM
All three quarter-finals were tedious, 15 men behind the ball, endless recycling around the 45. It has become a mindset; even when Ballyholland were 6 pts behind in the 2nd half, they still sat back and allowed Burren to run down the clock.
I know it's a broken record by now, but something has to change; 13 a side, can't pass to goalkeeper etc.
Don't need any more rule changes, introducing the mark has been part of the problem. Messing about with it to much

thewobbler

The rules have to evolve. As almost every field sport in history has had to do, we need to find a way to balance the advantages given by possession and territory.

——

Watching teams trying to "out game manage" each other instead of trying to outplay each other, is the most mindnumbing form of sport I've ever encountered.

Cuan12

Do away with back door system, straight knock out might spice up our championship, don't understand why teams set up so negative, giving the opposition too much respect is the problem but it is what it is and can't see it changing

terrifictommy

Half time scores so far
-
1-06 v 0-03
0-05 v 0-02
0-04 v 0-02

That's poor, ball retention without actually trying to go break lines. I'd wonder if the SFC standard is the same across the country. Anyone have insight elsewhere?

As for rule changes, I can't think of any easy solutions that can be administered competently during a game.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: terrifictommy on September 18, 2023, 06:36:24 PM
Half time scores so far
-
1-06 v 0-03
0-05 v 0-02
0-04 v 0-02

That's poor, ball retention without actually trying to go break lines. I'd wonder if the SFC standard is the same across the country. Anyone have insight elsewhere?

As for rule changes, I can't think of any easy solutions that can be administered competently during a game.

The Kerry SFC game shown on tg4 on Sunday was decent entertainment. More kicking, players taking risks in order to get rewards, mistakes made but players not afraid to make them. Teams in Down seem paralysed by the fear of making a bad pass or shooting wide. Doesn't seem like there is much joy in playing for a club in the SFC.

Mourne Red

Glenn by 7... I'd say that will be Poacher gone from the bridge

befair

Great performance by Glenn tonight; plenty of direct football, could have won by more. The Bridge obs thought they only had to turn up; seemed paralysed by their tactics. Astonishing that Glenn were almost relegated to Div 3. Shay Millar was outstanding

Dubh driocht

Quote from: befair on September 18, 2023, 08:42:18 PM
Great performance by Glenn tonight; plenty of direct football, could have won by more. The Bridge obs thought they only had to turn up; seemed paralysed by their tactics. Astonishing that Glenn were almost relegated to Div 3. Shay Millar was outstanding
No almost about it. They were relegated so some result tonight indeed.

Splash

Great stuff by Glenn. Some going after the year they had in the league.

urbangael

Poacher unlikely to get another job in Down football. The merry go round stops at some point. Mayobridge was always split on his appointment. Not a nice thing to say but there will be Mayobridge supporters happy enough tonight as that confirms his exit.

befair

GAA needs to bring in a rule a club manager has to be a club member. Too many mercenaries floating around; I'm sure they are trying their best, but such a drain on club finances.

ck

Quote from: befair on September 18, 2023, 10:23:30 PM
GAA needs to bring in a rule a club manager has to be a club member. Too many mercenaries floating around; I'm sure they are trying their best, but such a drain on club finances.

Oh right, so your rule will mean the outside mercenary will just have to pay membership then? What will that change?

ck

Quote from: urbangael on September 18, 2023, 09:44:21 PM
Poacher unlikely to get another job in Down football. The merry go round stops at some point. Mayobridge was always split on his appointment. Not a nice thing to say but there will be Mayobridge supporters happy enough tonight as that confirms his exit.

Well done to Glenn on the biggest shock in years. Mayobridge under perform yet again.

elk

Quote from: urbangael on September 18, 2023, 09:44:21 PMPoacher unlikely to get another job in Down football. The merry go round stops at some point. Mayobridge was always split on his appointment. Not a nice thing to say but there will be Mayobridge supporters happy enough tonight as that confirms his exit.
CPN might take him.

Blackandblue2

Great game last night. Glenn were the better team from start to end. Great flowing football and championship intensity. Thought the ref added to the game. Kilcoo Burren final looking on the cards this year again. Hopefully it isnt a cagey affair.