Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaelforce123

The crowds at games are really poor for championship football, I know some will say its the quality on show but I dont believe it is. The same style of football is played all across the province. I would like to know how successful DownTv is, as it is a great service etc and especially great for those who physically cannot make games, but is it causing a significant detriment to attendances at games? The format of championship also means little neutrals attend games until knockout, crowds will hopefully increase next weekend but a good championship requires a good atmosphere and I think either keep games out of Newry until later stages, host double headers again or go back to knockout format.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on September 09, 2023, 04:25:29 PM
Quote from: Sandstorm on September 09, 2023, 12:58:44 AM
The game in Kilcoo tonight was crap. This was notlhing to do with modern coaching but the reality was one team was superior to l the other. Are you trying to tell me this did not happen in the last 50 years? Of course it did. Memories are short, we all think summers were filled with sunshine, not true.

For the decade or so I was involved with Ballyholland senior football, we were routinely slapped in the SFC. So I'm not trying to tell you hidings are a new phenomenon.

But I'm absolutely sure it was never as boring as what we now have.

This is where we are at now. Players in the gym all year round. Group training getting underway before Christmas, running around with the utter nonsense that is GPS strapped to their back ever since. Days of video analysis per season. Pushing out holidays, lads weekends, weddings, summers abroad.

All of these measures in place, and not one of them doing a single thing to improve the game. It's just teams losing by more than they ever did, except absolutely shit scared to compete at midfield, or to kick the ball forwards.

Our game is fucked.

That first half on Friday was the worst quality in the championship this year.
I agree that the game needs changed, all the coaches play the same style, the rules needs changed.

elk

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 11, 2023, 09:12:50 AM
Quote from: upandwin on September 10, 2023, 10:37:31 PM
You could pick the best 15 of Mayobridge and CPN and they still wouldn't beat Burren or Kilcoo. Was like watching an intermediate game this eve, two teams that have no identity. Mayobridge will get hammered by whoever they play next unless they draw Glenn. You could tell a mile off that Warrenpoint have had no manager all year, look like they're winging it with zero plan. No shape, their best players in their own half at all times, like watching an U-12 team that. Down football is in a bad place, Burren then Kilcoo then the rest this year I suspect.

Last nights game was better than the Town v RGU. Castlewellan will need a few more players if they are to compete in the top division. Warrenpoint have regressed dramatically since last year and the Bridge never looked in trouble last night and if they had their shooting boots it would have been a hammering.
Its Kilcoo' s title to lose. But the standard has been really poor across the board.

Unfortunately this is true, over the past 2-3 years Warrenpoint have gone from a fast free flowing football team under Niall Mc Aleenan who were a match for any team in the county and good to watch, to a very static team with a negative approach to the game and terrible to watch. People in Warrenpoint may say this is because a few of their better players have moved on and a few are the wrong side of thirty plus Murdock and Lynch are injured ( I'm sure most clubs have the same issues ). But to me the next generation they have coming through either are being coached differently or they just haven't the same quality/ability as the men they are expected to replace . The next year or two could difficult ones for the Point.

I agree the standard has been poor.

Gaelforce123

Truth Hurts, Rule changes do not work. Football will continue to change. It is more scientific now with the stats dictating what is the best way to beat a team whether it be playing everyone behind the ball or whether it be kicking etc etc, rules wont change that, if you change a rule any coach or coaches will work around it. Tell us a rule that could change the so called negative football. 40,000 a week go
To every stadium in England to watch soccer stand and pass sideways and back ways and walk with the ball for some small glimpse of excitement when a break is on. It is no different, tactical game that is about results and not conceding.

Truth hurts

Last night, Loughinisland threw it away, but Carryduff showed grit to win. Although their match against Kilcoo will be interesting, Kilcoo will win and cruise to yet another county championship.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 12, 2023, 10:14:40 AM
Last night, Loughinisland threw it away, but Carryduff showed grit to win. Although their match against Kilcoo will be interesting, Kilcoo will win and cruise to yet another county championship.

In what way did  Loughinisland throw it away?

Carryduff outscored them in the second half & to most people they would have been favourites as they have a better panel of players.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on September 12, 2023, 01:51:44 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 12, 2023, 10:14:40 AM

In what way did  Loughinisland throw it away?

Carryduff outscored them in the second half & to most people they would have been favourites as they have a better panel of players.

I felt they missed a few easy scores and will be disappointed they lost control of the game early in the second half.
Carryduff would have wanted an easier draw than Kilcoo but that's the championship and there are no easy games from the quarters onwards.

Johnnysboys

Another season comes to an end and in disappointing circumstances. I honestly thought we were capable of beating Mayobridge at the weekend and with the draw they got we could have ended up in a semi final if we overcame a division 3 Glen.
I would like to just put this year behind us and start afresh. I would like to thank John Boyle and his management team for stepping in at a difficult time after losing two management setups in a matter of months. We are still in division one which is massive for our club and hopefully the players can go now and take a good break and return fresh and ready for 2024.
Who we will have at the helm - god knows - I just hope we can get it sorted sooner rather than later so the preparation for 2024 can begin.

johnnycool

Quote from: Splash on September 10, 2023, 01:21:04 AM
Some good intermediate hurling coming up.

Warrenpoint face their toughest test in a long time when they host Carryduff. It was said to me in recent weeks that there are no intermediate teams in Down, only senior and junior. Could be a tough day for the Point.
In saying that, once upon a time Carryduff were new to intermediate hurling too, and have taken their fair share of beatings. The Point have taken plenty of beatings over the years, and look at them now. It's a period of growth for hurling in the club and great to see them competing at such a level.
Argument to be made that CPN are second best club in the intermediate, and this will be a learning day either way.
Fully expect Carryduff to go on a good Ulster, if not All Ireland run, and will come away with the win. At the same time, Warrenpoint will be no pushover. Have incredibly dangerous forwards in the form of John O'Kane, and the team is not of a poor standard. A great opportunity to test themselves and gauche where they are, and figure out what the next steps are for hurling in the club.
Great to see two teams from opposite ends of the county meet in a hurling match. Shows hurling is growing across the county, and hopefully both teams continue to promote hurling within their respective towns.

Ballers v Clonduff will be an interesting game.
Clonduff the most Jekyll and Hyde team in the county atm. Inclined to lose to Ballela before turning things around beating the Point out the gate. You just don't know which Clonduff team will turn up. Played Castlewellen a few weeks ago and were by miles the better team, before salvaging a draw against East Belfast not long after that.
Expect Clonduff to win in the end. But wouldn't be too surprised if they find themselves back in the Junior Championship.
2 of the most physical teams in Down, so will be interesting to see who dominates. Clonduff seem to have better level of fitness than Ballela which may play a massive factor.
Ballela will sense this is a massive opportunity to prove they haven't gone away. Johnny McCusker really changes the team when he is playing. The last time these teams met, the Clonduff defence couldn't handle him. However, one man can't win a game, and other lads in Ballela will need to step up if they are to seriously rattle Clonduff.

A couple weeks ago, I'd have said clonduff May have had it in them to give Carryduff a bloody nose, so will be interesting to see if they can bring that level to Ballela. 

Should be a good, old fashioned sort of game. Mightn't bring the flair that'll be happening in the senior championship, but will be no less enjoyable.

Hopefully we will have a less eventful affair than last years championship meeting between the two, and manage to get through the game without anyone getting their ear sliced off this time!  :-X

Clonduff bagged a load of goals last night and when you look at their teamsheet it's no surprise.

Aaron Graffin was a serious operator for both the Dall and Antrim in his day, had a few bad injuries, but he'll take some handling at this level, married into the Carrs must also mean marrying into Clonduff evidently.
Their goalkeeper was a big money transfer from Portaferry as well, Portaferry paid a lot of money to get rid of him  ;D

dingle82

Intermediate form is hard to read. The Point V Clonduff match will be interesting as the winner joins Carryduff in the Intermediate Semi's along with Bredagh and Shamrocks. Clonduff missing their dual players (disappointing decision by those players to leave down their team-mates and one they will regret in the future) so not as strong as previous years but the Point also lost a lot of experience from the 2 or 3 lads who retired after winning the Junior last year. Who scored all the goals? Ballela goalkeeper is usually sharp.

Splash

Quote from: johnnycool on September 14, 2023, 08:18:42 AM
Quote from: Splash on September 10, 2023, 01:21:04 AM
Some good intermediate hurling coming up.

Warrenpoint face their toughest test in a long time when they host Carryduff. It was said to me in recent weeks that there are no intermediate teams in Down, only senior and junior. Could be a tough day for the Point.
In saying that, once upon a time Carryduff were new to intermediate hurling too, and have taken their fair share of beatings. The Point have taken plenty of beatings over the years, and look at them now. It's a period of growth for hurling in the club and great to see them competing at such a level.
Argument to be made that CPN are second best club in the intermediate, and this will be a learning day either way.
Fully expect Carryduff to go on a good Ulster, if not All Ireland run, and will come away with the win. At the same time, Warrenpoint will be no pushover. Have incredibly dangerous forwards in the form of John O'Kane, and the team is not of a poor standard. A great opportunity to test themselves and gauche where they are, and figure out what the next steps are for hurling in the club.
Great to see two teams from opposite ends of the county meet in a hurling match. Shows hurling is growing across the county, and hopefully both teams continue to promote hurling within their respective towns.

Ballers v Clonduff will be an interesting game.
Clonduff the most Jekyll and Hyde team in the county atm. Inclined to lose to Ballela before turning things around beating the Point out the gate. You just don't know which Clonduff team will turn up. Played Castlewellen a few weeks ago and were by miles the better team, before salvaging a draw against East Belfast not long after that.
Expect Clonduff to win in the end. But wouldn't be too surprised if they find themselves back in the Junior Championship.
2 of the most physical teams in Down, so will be interesting to see who dominates. Clonduff seem to have better level of fitness than Ballela which may play a massive factor.
Ballela will sense this is a massive opportunity to prove they haven't gone away. Johnny McCusker really changes the team when he is playing. The last time these teams met, the Clonduff defence couldn't handle him. However, one man can't win a game, and other lads in Ballela will need to step up if they are to seriously rattle Clonduff.

A couple weeks ago, I'd have said clonduff May have had it in them to give Carryduff a bloody nose, so will be interesting to see if they can bring that level to Ballela. 

Should be a good, old fashioned sort of game. Mightn't bring the flair that'll be happening in the senior championship, but will be no less enjoyable.

Hopefully we will have a less eventful affair than last years championship meeting between the two, and manage to get through the game without anyone getting their ear sliced off this time!  :-X

Clonduff bagged a load of goals last night and when you look at their teamsheet it's no surprise.

Aaron Graffin was a serious operator for both the Dall and Antrim in his day, had a few bad injuries, but he'll take some handling at this level, married into the Carrs must also mean marrying into Clonduff evidently.
Their goalkeeper was a big money transfer from Portaferry as well, Portaferry paid a lot of money to get rid of him  ;D

A hike from Hilltown to Cushendall to play hurling to be fair to Graffin. Clonduff have another cushendall man in the ranks as well so the story goes. Jarlath Flynn also transferred in from Carryduff; will be another string to the Clonduff bow.

Fair play to Clonduff. Really turned around the brutal form they had in the league.

Splash

Quote from: dingle82 on September 14, 2023, 01:53:44 PM
Intermediate form is hard to read. The Point V Clonduff match will be interesting as the winner joins Carryduff in the Intermediate Semi's along with Bredagh and Shamrocks. Clonduff missing their dual players (disappointing decision by those players to leave down their team-mates and one they will regret in the future) so not as strong as previous years but the Point also lost a lot of experience from the 2 or 3 lads who retired after winning the Junior last year. Who scored all the goals? Ballela goalkeeper is usually sharp.

Intermediate shaping up to be far more interesting than was anticipated.

Agreed- disappointing decision from the dual players- clonduff playing with the likes of the Brannagans this year would have been interesting. Couldn't call the game between clonduff and the point.

Gary McMullan is a great asset in nets to Ballela. Despite their horrid league campaign, any time I saw them he was probably their best player (Johnny McCusker wasn't playing). Some puck out on him and a good shot stopper. Think the problem for Ballela is probably more their full back line. Paul McCusker a big miss there for them. If you don't have a full back line that can handle Aaron Graffin, nets is probably not a nice place to be stood.

Splash

Good weekend of hurling action.

Think Ballygalget v Portaferry went exactly the way most expected. Ballygalget a good team, but Portaferry at the minute are simply a bit better. Nothing too exciting to note. Run of the mill senior hurling championship match.

Liatroim v Ballycran a good game. Score line probably didn't reflect Liatroim. Were in it for a lot of the game but Ballycran knew how to deal with them and where to target them. Ballycran look like a very fit and very  well conditioned team. Would still be my pick to win Down.
Be interesting to see how they get on against Antrim Champions in the first round of Ulster. Liatroim depended too much on Pearse Óg and Ruairi McCrickard, and their forwards really did seem much more comfortable at this level than their defence.
Ballycran bench also a great help.
Paul Sheehan seems to be doing well. Good to see. Conor Woods absolutely on point from placed balls. Unreal strike on him.
A final still not out of Liatroims reach, but to break the hoodoo the Ards teams have had on the championship for the past couple of decades will probably be a step too far.
Still though, good to see a newly promoted team being competitive at this level and not shipping 20, 30 point defeats.

Bredagh and Shamrocks both into intermediate semi finals, and judging from what I've seen, would still have Carryduff as favourites for that championship. Good to see a bit of variation at the top table, too.
Shamrocks also relegated to play intermediate championship next year I take it?
Not a pile to be said. Neither team is as strong as they were last year. Both missing key players and both in a bit of regression.
However, all is not lost. Bredagh will be back. Tbey have too many championship winners underage to disappear. And Newry Shamrocks seem to be really putting a lot into hurling in underage at the club. Hard for teams to take, but ultimately intermediate is where they want to be at. Good to see Sean Campbell back for Newry. Shamrocks need a good forward if they are to survive without Paul Sheehan, and Campbell is a great player to have at your disposable. Be interesting to see what impact he makes on the county scene in the next few years.

Should really take a moment to congratulate Newry Shamrocks on the past few years. Went from being stuck in the junior championship, to rapidly promoting through the ranks and going toe to toe with the Ards teams. Did all this in an area where a lot of people would have no time for hurling.
They have offered a blue print for the rest of teams in junior/lower intermediate level to follow. If every team could improve so rapidly, we could suddenly find the county scene in an improved place. Not saying shamrocks winning junior and intermediate titles solves Down's hurling issues, but they have shown it's possible for junior level teams to make something of a break through. Fair play to them.

TakeTheMark

When is the last time a non Ards team reached the final?

ardtole

Quote from: TakeTheMark on September 15, 2023, 12:49:55 AM
When is the last time a non Ards team reached the final?

I think Kilclief have the most SHC in Down, so you would probably have to go back to the 60s or 70s when they were going well.