Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Splash on September 08, 2023, 01:22:17 AM
Páirc Esler has been chosen as the venue to host the return of the hurling-shinty International Rules Series between Ireland and Scotland. An unexpected but welcome surprise. Was expecting to have to trek down the country, something just not as enjoyable in the winter months, so great that it is on the doorstep. Wouldn't know much about composite rules hurling, but whatever way you look at it, it's either an honour for Down to act as the home pitch for the national team playing the national sport of Ireland, or it's a great novelty and something to talk about. Either way, no bad thing.

Will be hopeful for an Irish victory- been nearly ten years apparently since Ireland last won a series.

Wonder how much of a feature Down players will get. Assuming that the competition will draw from players at the McDonagh/Ring level, as opposed to the MacCarhy level, surely you would expect to see a few Down heads in the mix? 

Great to see Páirc Esler getting a bit of use for stuff outside the purposes of Down GAA. Would be unreasonable to expect Newry to be treated like Clones or the Athletic Grounds, but it is a good location; where north meets south. Would never expect it to be used for Ulster or National League finals, but for stuff like All Ireland Club Semi Finals, matches between teams from down south and teams from Antirm/Derry, it could be a good choice.

Also glad Newry has been chosen and not McKenna Park in Ballycran. Ballycran is an absolute great club, and I'm sure it was never going to be considered, but more hurling needs to be showcased in Newry. I'm sure a lot of lads from the Ards will disagree, but it's great to have the hurling finals in Newry. It would be great if Down played more hurling games in Newry. I completely understand that people in the Ards will wonder where the wisdom is in moving 2 clubs across the county to play a game, but I think the more hurling is showcased in South Down, the better the effect for Down Hurling overall.
A lot of people in Down either view hurling as a minority game and underestimate the County's  standing, or view it as something those ones on the Ards Peninsula get up to so leave them at it. We simply cannot keep relying on 3 small, rural clubs to uphold the County Scene. Keeping hurling confided to the Ards, whilst handy for most, doesn't do anything to help the game.
If Bryansford were to play Kilcoo in the football final, we wouldn't expect the game to be held in Castlewellen. We'd expect it to be held in the county stadium. Hurling has to become of a similar mindset. Hurling has to spread beyond the Ards in order for Down to flourish, and opportunities like this are great for that.

But that's a discussion to be had next month when the inconvenience comes to life of people from the Ards having to drive over an hour just to watch their team play the parish that is normally 5 minutes down the road  :-X

In the meantime, it's great to know that Down GAA is playing host to an international hurling event, and hopefully plenty of Down Gaels take a notion to see what the craic is and go have a look.

Is it too early to start telling the Scots that the home of hurling isn't Thurles- it's Newry?

The last two, maybe three senior hurling finals have been played in Newry and whilst the ferry boat is an absolute pain in the hole, not to mention additional expense there's been no complaints for the Ards teams in relation to this.

As for the Shinty thing, it's great to say you've represented your country for any hurler but the game itself is utter písh as well as pretty dangerous for the Irish lads.
We'd a lad played over in Scotland, got the ankle well mangled when hit full belt with a shinty stick which is far longer and harder than an ash hurl.

thewobbler

Honest question.

How many years of anti-entertainment will it take before we just stop going to games?

Can we really expect neutrals and peripheral club people to go along to championship games if there's nothing even remotely approaching a championship atmosphere or intensity?

I'm not even sure if club football has bottomed out yet. Every year it gets worse.

Gaelforce123

Coaching, tactics etc aside, for as long as there is a back door the Championship atmosphere is dead

Sandstorm

The game in Kilcoo tonight was crap. This was notlhing to do with modern coaching but the reality was one team was superior to l the other. Are you trying to tell me this did not happen in the last 50 years? Of course it did. Memories are short, we all think summers were filled with sunshine, not true.

Splash

Quote from: johnnycool on September 08, 2023, 09:42:37 AM
Quote from: Splash on September 08, 2023, 01:22:17 AM
Páirc Esler has been chosen as the venue to host the return of the hurling-shinty International Rules Series between Ireland and Scotland. An unexpected but welcome surprise. Was expecting to have to trek down the country, something just not as enjoyable in the winter months, so great that it is on the doorstep. Wouldn't know much about composite rules hurling, but whatever way you look at it, it's either an honour for Down to act as the home pitch for the national team playing the national sport of Ireland, or it's a great novelty and something to talk about. Either way, no bad thing.

Will be hopeful for an Irish victory- been nearly ten years apparently since Ireland last won a series.

Wonder how much of a feature Down players will get. Assuming that the competition will draw from players at the McDonagh/Ring level, as opposed to the MacCarhy level, surely you would expect to see a few Down heads in the mix? 

Great to see Páirc Esler getting a bit of use for stuff outside the purposes of Down GAA. Would be unreasonable to expect Newry to be treated like Clones or the Athletic Grounds, but it is a good location; where north meets south. Would never expect it to be used for Ulster or National League finals, but for stuff like All Ireland Club Semi Finals, matches between teams from down south and teams from Antirm/Derry, it could be a good choice.

Also glad Newry has been chosen and not McKenna Park in Ballycran. Ballycran is an absolute great club, and I'm sure it was never going to be considered, but more hurling needs to be showcased in Newry. I'm sure a lot of lads from the Ards will disagree, but it's great to have the hurling finals in Newry. It would be great if Down played more hurling games in Newry. I completely understand that people in the Ards will wonder where the wisdom is in moving 2 clubs across the county to play a game, but I think the more hurling is showcased in South Down, the better the effect for Down Hurling overall.
A lot of people in Down either view hurling as a minority game and underestimate the County's  standing, or view it as something those ones on the Ards Peninsula get up to so leave them at it. We simply cannot keep relying on 3 small, rural clubs to uphold the County Scene. Keeping hurling confided to the Ards, whilst handy for most, doesn't do anything to help the game.
If Bryansford were to play Kilcoo in the football final, we wouldn't expect the game to be held in Castlewellen. We'd expect it to be held in the county stadium. Hurling has to become of a similar mindset. Hurling has to spread beyond the Ards in order for Down to flourish, and opportunities like this are great for that.

But that's a discussion to be had next month when the inconvenience comes to life of people from the Ards having to drive over an hour just to watch their team play the parish that is normally 5 minutes down the road  :-X

In the meantime, it's great to know that Down GAA is playing host to an international hurling event, and hopefully plenty of Down Gaels take a notion to see what the craic is and go have a look.

Is it too early to start telling the Scots that the home of hurling isn't Thurles- it's Newry?

The last two, maybe three senior hurling finals have been played in Newry and whilst the ferry boat is an absolute pain in the hole, not to mention additional expense there's been no complaints for the Ards teams in relation to this.

As for the Shinty thing, it's great to say you've represented your country for any hurler but the game itself is utter písh as well as pretty dangerous for the Irish lads.
We'd a lad played over in Scotland, got the ankle well mangled when hit full belt with a shinty stick which is far longer and harder than an ash hurl.

Great to hear that fellas on the Ards don't mind the journey for the final. Last year heard a few weren't pleased at the final being in Newry, but as long as most people don't mind, that's great.

Not expecting a showcase of a game for the shinty, but it will be a great novelty at the very least and hopefully be a good talking point. The rules can make things awkward enough for the Irish lads, though, imo. Not being able to catch or kick the ball, etc., very natural parts of hurling, undoubtedly makes it difficult.
All the same, I hope it's a good bit of craic, and as you say, an honour for anyone to play for their country.

Those shinty sticks are a piece of work. Was playing a game myself in Glasgow one time and got a look at them. Wouldn't say a slap off one would be too nice.

Splash

Interesting championship hurling coming up in the next few days.

Will be interesting to see how competitive Ballygalget are with Portaferry. Not too much to be said on this game. Both teams will be in the semi finals. Would expect portaferry to come away with the win, but you never know with these sort of matches. Portaferry weren't miles better that Liatroim, so a Ballygalget victory very much possible in my opinion.

Great chance for Liatroim to take a massive scalp when they host Ballycran. They will feel after the Portaferry game that they are within touching distance of rattling the Ards teams. A full firing Liatroim team has it in them to shock the system and get the win.
Despite this, Ballycran are the strongest team in Down atm. A fully firing Ballycran team will beat a fully firing Liatroim team. Not sure if Liatroim defence can deal with the power of the Ballycran attack.
Will be good to see Paul Sheehan playing on South Down soil.  ;)

Newry Shamrocks v Bredagh to see who finishes bottom. Expect Bredagh to win. The game is in Belfast and Bredagh simply a better hurling side than Newry.
Awful year for both teams, not hitting anywhere near the highs they were in previous years. Particularly Bredagh. Have made so much progress in recent years and seemed to collapse this year. Hopefully just a bad run and they will be back soon. Same for Shamrocks.

I know bottom two of senior championship get entered into this years intermediate championship at the knockout stage, but will both teams be relegated as well for next year? Would mean you could potentially end up with 6 or 7 teams in the intermediate championship next year. Wouldn't expect either team to win intermediate atm either, tbh.

thewobbler

Quote from: Sandstorm on September 09, 2023, 12:58:44 AM
The game in Kilcoo tonight was crap. This was notlhing to do with modern coaching but the reality was one team was superior to l the other. Are you trying to tell me this did not happen in the last 50 years? Of course it did. Memories are short, we all think summers were filled with sunshine, not true.

For the decade or so I was involved with Ballyholland senior football, we were routinely slapped in the SFC. So I'm not trying to tell you hidings are a new phenomenon.

But I'm absolutely sure it was never as boring as what we now have.

This is where we are at now. Players in the gym all year round. Group training getting underway before Christmas, running around with the utter nonsense that is GPS strapped to their back ever since. Days of video analysis per season. Pushing out holidays, lads weekends, weddings, summers abroad.

All of these measures in place, and not one of them doing a single thing to improve the game. It's just teams losing by more than they ever did, except absolutely shit scared to compete at midfield, or to kick the ball forwards.

Our game is fucked.

Splash

Some good intermediate hurling coming up.

Warrenpoint face their toughest test in a long time when they host Carryduff. It was said to me in recent weeks that there are no intermediate teams in Down, only senior and junior. Could be a tough day for the Point.
In saying that, once upon a time Carryduff were new to intermediate hurling too, and have taken their fair share of beatings. The Point have taken plenty of beatings over the years, and look at them now. It's a period of growth for hurling in the club and great to see them competing at such a level.
Argument to be made that CPN are second best club in the intermediate, and this will be a learning day either way.
Fully expect Carryduff to go on a good Ulster, if not All Ireland run, and will come away with the win. At the same time, Warrenpoint will be no pushover. Have incredibly dangerous forwards in the form of John O'Kane, and the team is not of a poor standard. A great opportunity to test themselves and gauche where they are, and figure out what the next steps are for hurling in the club.
Great to see two teams from opposite ends of the county meet in a hurling match. Shows hurling is growing across the county, and hopefully both teams continue to promote hurling within their respective towns.

Ballers v Clonduff will be an interesting game.
Clonduff the most Jekyll and Hyde team in the county atm. Inclined to lose to Ballela before turning things around beating the Point out the gate. You just don't know which Clonduff team will turn up. Played Castlewellen a few weeks ago and were by miles the better team, before salvaging a draw against East Belfast not long after that.
Expect Clonduff to win in the end. But wouldn't be too surprised if they find themselves back in the Junior Championship.
2 of the most physical teams in Down, so will be interesting to see who dominates. Clonduff seem to have better level of fitness than Ballela which may play a massive factor.
Ballela will sense this is a massive opportunity to prove they haven't gone away. Johnny McCusker really changes the team when he is playing. The last time these teams met, the Clonduff defence couldn't handle him. However, one man can't win a game, and other lads in Ballela will need to step up if they are to seriously rattle Clonduff.

A couple weeks ago, I'd have said clonduff May have had it in them to give Carryduff a bloody nose, so will be interesting to see if they can bring that level to Ballela. 

Should be a good, old fashioned sort of game. Mightn't bring the flair that'll be happening in the senior championship, but will be no less enjoyable.

Hopefully we will have a less eventful affair than last years championship meeting between the two, and manage to get through the game without anyone getting their ear sliced off this time!  :-X

Square Ball

Quote from: thewobbler on September 09, 2023, 04:25:29 PM
Quote from: Sandstorm on September 09, 2023, 12:58:44 AM

For the decade or so I was involved with Ballyholland senior football, we were routinely slapped in the SFC. So I'm not trying to tell you hidings are a new phenomenon.

But I'm absolutely sure it was never as boring as what we now have.

This is where we are at now. Players in the gym all year round. Group training getting underway before Christmas, running around with the utter nonsense that is GPS strapped to their back ever since. Days of video analysis per season. Pushing out holidays, lads weekends, weddings, summers abroad.

All of these measures in place, and not one of them doing a single thing to improve the game. It's just teams losing by more than they ever did, except absolutely shit scared to compete at midfield, or to kick the ball forwards.

Our game is fucked.

I feel your pain
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

befair

You are right wobbler; football is a hobby and shouldn't require SAS type training. But once one team hires and expensive manager, a fitness trainer, gymwork over the winter etc, every team has to do it; we are running to stand still. Is it practical for a married man with kids to play senior football any more? Numbers getting fewer and fewer, I'd guess. Same for any young person who needs to advance his career  by travelling

guevara

It's not necessarily the commitment levels that need to change, moreso effort vs reward balance.
Tonight in Newry two teams so negative they looked like they had forgot how to attack. Players in space turning to go bakward & under no pressure. Sweepers dropping back  for the sake of it.

I honestly think the only way it changes is a rule change. People paying in to watch the negative football on display & nearly every Team in the country setting up.the same way. It's pure shite on display!

Something has to give.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

upandwin

You could pick the best 15 of Mayobridge and CPN and they still wouldn't beat Burren or Kilcoo. Was like watching an intermediate game this eve, two teams that have no identity. Mayobridge will get hammered by whoever they play next unless they draw Glenn. You could tell a mile off that Warrenpoint have had no manager all year, look like they're winging it with zero plan. No shape, their best players in their own half at all times, like watching an U-12 team that. Down football is in a bad place, Burren then Kilcoo then the rest this year I suspect.

toby47

When is the draw for the next round?

ardtole

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on September 10, 2023, 10:37:31 PM
You could pick the best 15 of Mayobridge and CPN and they still wouldn't beat Burren or Kilcoo. Was like watching an intermediate game this eve, two teams that have no identity. Mayobridge will get hammered by whoever they play next unless they draw Glenn. You could tell a mile off that Warrenpoint have had no manager all year, look like they're winging it with zero plan. No shape, their best players in their own half at all times, like watching an U-12 team that. Down football is in a bad place, Burren then Kilcoo then the rest this year I suspect.

Last nights game was better than the Town v RGU. Castlewellen will need a few more players if they are to compete in the top division. Warrenpoint have regressed dramatically since last year and the Bridge never looked in trouble last night and if they had their shooting boots it would have been a hammering.
Its Kilcoo' s title to lose. But the standard has been really poor across the board.