the future of the Intercounty game

Started by caprea, October 24, 2017, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 27, 2017, 01:49:38 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 27, 2017, 01:28:52 PM
If Mayo won the final this year would people be complaining?
This discussion based on demographics is going nowhere. The 2014 census shows Louth with a population 2000 less than Mayo and it has far less problems in terms of distance to travel to work, college etc. No reason why GAA shouldnt flourish here but it doesn't. Meath has approx 50% greater population than Mayo, huge geographical advantages, a recent? history of All -Ireland wins, a leading collehe in St Pats Navan yet neither county or club teams are challenging. Some hard looking at internal workings of these counties should be the first order of business.
Feck them - look after the little Counties the fíor Gaelic football territories.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Of course they would, ass loads of them. This is Ireland, after all and begrudgery is a national characteristic. Look at the amount of shite posted here when Noel and Pateen told their side of the story when it was alleged that the players forced them to step down. Most of the begrudgers would appear to come from a northern county that is not synonymous with open, attacking football, ala the Mayo style.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 28, 2017, 12:12:31 AM
Of course they would, ass loads of them. This is Ireland, after all and begrudgery is a national characteristic. Look at the amount of shite posted here when Noel and Pateen told their side of the story when it was alleged that the players forced them to step down. Most of the begrudgers would appear to come from a northern county that is not synonymous with open, attacking football, ala the Mayo style.

I think you misreadwhat he meant by that question Lar. Is the Jameson going down well?

Rossfan

I know a few West Ros bucks who wouldn't have been very happy.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on October 28, 2017, 12:22:33 AM

I think you misreadwhat he meant by that question Lar. Is the Jameson going down well?
Just stop after the first two words, Syf and you'll be alright.
Any further and you are way in over your head. It just might be possible that the reaction I was hoping for wasn't going to come (again!) from you.If you were a salmon on the Suck or the Shannon, you'd have been hooked long ago. :D

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 28, 2017, 01:05:20 PM

Any further and you are way in over your head. It just might be possible that the reaction I was hoping for wasn't going to come (again!) from you.If you were a salmon on the Suck or the Shannon, you'd have been hooked long ago. :D

???

Are you trying to claim you wrote that whole spiel to try and troll no one in particular, rather than simply misreading what was wrote? C'mon man.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on October 28, 2017, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 28, 2017, 01:05:20 PM

???

Are you trying to claim you wrote that whole spiel to try and troll no one in particular, rather than simply misreading what was wrote? C'mon man.
No. Syf, I meant what I said in the first post ad I don't honestly know how any rational person could misinterpret it. Nobody irrational either and so that leaves only you.☺
Now if you can't take Farr's words at face value, pray enlighten us.

Rossfan

I see the Tyrone Sec is stealing my ideas - talking about need for tiered AI football Championships while keeping the Provincials as they are.
Please send on the usual fee Mr McCaughey  :D

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Rossfan on December 06, 2017, 02:57:10 PM
I see the Tyrone Sec is stealing my ideas - talking about need for tiered AI football Championships while keeping the Provincials as they are.
I'm only surprised that you are surprised at Tyrone running with this idea. The "big" counties would love this. All sponsorship etc would be directed at the top tier counties as all tv & media coverage would be directed in the same way. Has a tiered system in hurling advanced even one of the lesser counties? The system is designed to keep the traditional hurling counties isolated from the rest and allows the Association claim that it is catering for the needs of weaker counties without doing anything for them. Arguably hurling is now confined to 9 counties (all Munster bar Kerry, Kilkenny, Wexford, Dublin and Galway). Offaly, Laois & Antrim have now dropped to a lower level with Kerry, Carlow & Westmeath.  A tired Football championship would ring the death-knell of football ambition in half the counties.

Rossfan

When was serious hurling not confined to 9 counties?
You'd think Wicklow, Ros etc were competing for Liam McCarthy for years until the tiers were brought in.
Not much "football ambition" in around 20 Counties as it stands.
See Derry where players are not interested in playing for the County.
Wasn't much media coverage of the Carlow v London Qualifier game last Summer.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 07, 2017, 11:37:49 AM
You'd think Wicklow, Ros etc were competing for Liam McCarthy for years until the tiers were brought in.

Football is far more widespread than hurling. The actual national game operates to very different dynamics than a minority sport like hurling and aping their elitist structures is not going to slow down the declining interest in football.

Rossfan

Any thoughts on how to increase interest then?

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 07, 2017, 04:15:27 PM
Any thoughts on how to increase interest then?

Put the money you're pumping into the already 800lb gorilla that's Dublin into coaching and infrastructure planning in other football counties.

This is not complex but HQ and weak-willed officials are addicts looking for the quickest money fix and Dublin still provides that.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Rossfan on December 07, 2017, 11:37:49 AM

I suppose there will be for the Autoglass Repair C Football Championship? At least Carlow had their days in the sun against Dublin (on Sky) and Monaghan (also, I believe, on Sky). Their supporters had the hope of being two wins and a lucky draw away from an AIQF as well.

Gmac

Quote from: Rossfan on December 06, 2017, 02:57:10 PM
the gaa have it backwards in football the leagues should be the championship run from april on with promotion and relegation and div 1 champ equal current all Ireland champ ,forget about current system it's a joke with 25 teams no chance of winning . The league format would give weaker counties a chance to implement longer plans for success and to gauge actual success not 1 or 2 meaningless wins in a competition u have zero chance of winning
Club championship could be played from August on