Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keep her low this half

Quote from: saffman on March 15, 2021, 03:51:37 PM
If its 2 through could probably guess group 1 being louguile & Rossa.
However if 3rd gets Q/F could st endas put it up to ballycastle?

Group 2 I'd imagine Dunloy to top with cushendall and the johnnies battling for 2/3rd

Ballycastle drew with Dunloy and St Johns in the championship last year with a very young team. I wouldn't be writing them off just yet, fully capable of springing a surprise.

saffman

Agreed & if they build on that again no reason they can't reach the semi finals and give it a rattle themselves.
Just think in group 1 if st endas are to be optimistic at all they'll be targetting the town for a result.
Unfortunately I just don't see it happening on group 2 for tir na nog at all. It is still great though seeing likes of Stuff endas & tir na nog up in the Snr championship

imtommygunn

for me ballycastle and rossa have similarities. Both with their best panels are very useful. The covid and lockdown stuff has meant a lot less of their players could travel etc as both seem to fall into that camp where they have a lot of players who do which weakens them a lot.

Ballycastle, can't mind how many years ago, really threw a championship away and should have buried cushendall and it's not even all that long ago so they must have some talent about.

Plain of the Herbs

People of Antrim. It recently came to my attention that Olcan McFetridge won an Antrim and Ulster Club SHC with Loughgiel in 1989. How was this possible in he was a Glen Rovers Armoy club man? Was there a bye law at the time to enable this? Just curious.

imtommygunn

He moved club that year is all it was I think. I don't think he was an armoured player that year but he did move back.

keep her low this half

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2021, 05:08:08 PM
He moved club that year is all it was I think. I don't think he was an armoured player that year but he did move back.

It wasn't as straight forward as that. He had missed club championship with Armoy for the previous 2 years due to injury. When Armoy withdrew from the senior championship that year ( we had wanted to drop to intermediate but were not allowed ) he wanted to hurl in a club championship. That year he fielded for Armoy in the league, Div 1 and for Loughgiel in the Championship.
Don't ask me how those rules worked.

imtommygunn

I didn't know any of that. Interesting.

johnnycool

Quote from: keep her low this half on April 12, 2021, 07:35:07 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2021, 05:08:08 PM

It wasn't as straight forward as that. He had missed club championship with Armoy for the previous 2 years due to injury. When Armoy withdrew from the senior championship that year ( we had wanted to drop to intermediate but were not allowed ) he wanted to hurl in a club championship. That year he fielded for Armoy in the league, Div 1 and for Loughgiel in the Championship.
Don't ask me how those rules worked.

Some obscure county bye-law.  ;)

Sambo was able to avail of one back in the day.

Antrim Coaster

Wasn't that the year that Shamrock Rovers won the Antrim SHC?

Saffrongael

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on April 13, 2021, 11:08:40 AM
Wasn't that the year that Shamrock Rovers won the Antrim SHC?

Yeah that was the last one before their drought
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

They playing a team down in Carey in the AI semi final. I can't even mind who it was. If I mind rightly they only got beat by a point. Ollie Kilkenny? was playing for the other team.

ardtole

What clubs amalgamated to form shamrock rovers and what year?

ned

Quote from: ardtole on April 13, 2021, 12:49:34 PM
What clubs amalgamated to form shamrock rovers and what year?

Loughgiel and Cloot.

Plain of the Herbs

Loughgiel played Ballybrown from Limerick in the All-Ireland semi-final. I came on the match programme last week and saw Olcan was listed in the Loughgiel team. It didn't make sense as I knew he was Armoy, so I raised the query here.
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2021, 12:39:53 PM
They playing a team down in Carey in the AI semi final. I can't even mind who it was. If I mind rightly they only got beat by a point. Ollie Kilkenny? was playing for the other team.

imtommygunn

I thought it was a Limerick team with Kilkenny from Galway playing lol.

Yeah fair enough question. I wasn't aware of the circumstances surrounding it but it definitely was an odd one.