Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThroughTheLaces

Jesus A'Nail an article that long and the best you can come up with is 'why did it take brolly that long to say it?'. Personally I think he has it spot on. At least he says what he thinks and not writing for the sake of creating a bit of controversy. And what does YouTube have to do with it? Very good source, watching the incidents in question.

I completely agree with him. Hurlers put the footballers to shame. Rugby players too have it spot on. Whatever happened to pride and dignity?

I'm not just talking about Tyrone, it happens everywhere and sadly it's commonplace in club games throughout the country too. I find it sad the way our game has gone. Something needs to be done sooner rather than later.

I used to be a massive soccer fan. Once the diving came into the English premiership I completely lost all interest. I would seriously hope the same does not happen to the football. Would be a very sad day for me.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

fitzroyalty

Why do Tyrone people argue a black crow's white?

orangeman

Rugby isn't the clean sport Joe or cousin John claims it is -

I didn't think it would escalate to the stage it did do," he said, "purely because we all knew that it [faking blood injuries] was something which was happening on a regular basis at other clubs."

Later in the interview, Richards, to earn money during his three-year ban which ends in August, said: "I go to dinners, even to some junior clubs, and people were saying, 'God, we do it [cheating] week in week out...' "Whether people will say it was or was not [going on] is another thing, but most clubs that I've been to – and I don't think there's one that I haven't been to whereby they said it wasn't going on... In my eyes it was pretty prevalent."

In September 2009 the Rugby Football Union published its investigation into Richards's allegations that cheating was widespread. Professional players were asked to contribute to a survey and 129 responded. Of those, five per cent admitted that they had come across faking a blood injury in Test matches and 10 per cent in Premiership and European Cup fixtures.

On the subject of using medical actions to gain an unfair competitive advantage before or during a match, eight per cent said they were aware of it occurring in international games in England or overseas and 15 per cent in Premiership and European contests.

The RFU chose to highlight the fact that the bulk of the contributors had witnessed or experienced nothing of the sort and booted the matter into touch. But Richards, from his recent foray into the after-dinner circuit, is clearly convinced that he was not acting in isolation, and he was supported in that view by a number of professional colleagues at the time.

Three years on Bloodgate remains a stain that can't be washed clean.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on May 13, 2012, 09:38:56 AM
Brolly's research seems to involve a sweep of youtube.

Marsden's red card was rescinded on a technicality. When Kernan et al headed up to HQ to present their case, the ban stood after analysing video footage. Later, they managed to get the ban overturned when Armagh appealed to Central Council on a procedural matter, stating that the GAC had failed to clarify with them if the referee had consulted with an umpire on the day.

The Brian McGuigan incident was definitely shameful.

But why has Brolly taken 9 years to have the balls to say what he feels?
Desperate stuff. Embarrassing yourself now.

Brolly is a bollocks of that there is no doubt but he is 100% correct. With the more professional attitude of the early 2000s Tyrone brought the professional attitude to gaining a competitive advantage. I call it cheating. Canavan had a history of it and Cavanagh is an embarrassment. He's over 6 foot and about 15 stone yet he goes over like a 2 year old.

There are none blind as those who will not see.

ONeill

What's desperate and how is it embarrassing? Because I challenge the accuracy and motive? I acknowledged the McGuigan incident was shameful.

Why is Brolly singling Tyrone out in a couple of incidents from 9 years ago? When he attempts to do it, you'd think he'd be accurate. Where's this slow motion replay of the Cavanagh incident which shows minimal contact? He has made that bit up. He's inaccurate with the Marsden story.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

I thought Tyrone 'dived' their way to their first All-Ireland I had much more respect for them in their other 2 All-Ireland victories as they played better football and cut the diving shite. their first all-ireland was tarnished by this which is something awful as most counties remember their first success the best  and most cherished.

A few weeks after tyrone's first success me and me cousin started to do a 'diving dance' in front of dooher at a popular bar in Derry City; i thought he was gonna clamp us. Young and stupid in those days and we had a few drinks in us.

ONeill

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on May 13, 2012, 10:38:32 AM
Jesus A'Nail an article that long and the best you can come up with is 'why did it take brolly that long to say it?'. Personally I think he has it spot on. At least he says what he thinks and not writing for the sake of creating a bit of controversy. And what does YouTube have to do with it? Very good source, watching the incidents in question.

I completely agree with him. Hurlers put the footballers to shame. Rugby players too have it spot on. Whatever happened to pride and dignity?

I'm not just talking about Tyrone, it happens everywhere and sadly it's commonplace in club games throughout the country too. I find it sad the way our game has gone. Something needs to be done sooner rather than later.

I used to be a massive soccer fan. Once the diving came into the English premiership I completely lost all interest. I would seriously hope the same does not happen to the football. Would be a very sad day for me.

Listen, there's nothing more cynical and sickening as diving, whether it's diving to win frees, feigning or embellishing injury or that practice of pulling the defenders arm to pretend to be fouled. Some will attempt to defend it by saying that umpires were ignoring off the ball crap and this was a way of highlighting it. I don't agree with that defence. And bla bla bla - we'll all sing from the same hymnsheet.

However, the incidents Brolly highlight are innaccurate. In my very honest opinion, Canavan didn't dive, Jordan didn't dive but McGuigan did. Yet that was 2003 FFS. I can think of countless other examples from various counties across the span of the last decade. The Sunday Game, which he sits on, hasn't showed the gumption to highlight it on their shows. They should be naming and shaming.

Is he saying that Tyrone introduced it? Is he saying that he didn't buy fouls back in the Derry heyday? He actually says Canavan tried to get McCarthy sent off. I find that remarkably insulting to Canavan and utterly inaccurate. Was Brolly on the SG in 2003? If so, why is he only raising this now?

Zulu

It beggars belief that you think Canavan didn't dive or embellish the effects of what little contact did occur. That he dived and exaggerated the effects of the contact with a man that wasn't even aware he was 'dunting' him makes it all the more shameful. I don't know what brolly's agenda is nor do I care, as it's irrelevant. We will never eradicate this rubbish from the game as long as there are apologists like you spouting nonsense about 'contact', 'balance', 'ankle alignment' etc. The bottom-line is, if a man goes down or stays down unnecessarily then he should be called out. Christ it's hard to knock a grown man but some lads around here seem to think otherwise, did ye ever play the game at all?

Tony Baloney

You are nit-picking around the technicalities of Marsden incident in particular to discredit Brolly's analysis. Simple question "Did Jordan cheat to get Marsden the line?"

ONeill

Quote from: Zulu on May 13, 2012, 01:41:53 PM
It beggars belief that you think Canavan didn't dive or embellish the effects of what little contact did occur. That he dived and exaggerated the effects of the contact with a man that wasn't even aware he was 'dunting' him makes it all the more shameful. I don't know what brolly's agenda is nor do I care, as it's irrelevant. We will never eradicate this rubbish from the game as long as there are apologists like you spouting nonsense about 'contact', 'balance', 'ankle alignment' etc. The bottom-line is, if a man goes down or stays down unnecessarily then he should be called out. Christ it's hard to knock a grown man but some lads around here seem to think otherwise, did ye ever play the game at all?

Why would Tyrone want their best player, talisman, top scorer and captain off the field for 5 minutes at a time when they were blitzing Kerry at the start of the game?

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 13, 2012, 02:10:59 PM
You are nit-picking around the technicalities of Marsden incident in particular to discredit Brolly's analysis. Simple question "Did Jordan cheat to get Marsden the line?"

I was correct to do so. Brolly said 'When Central Council reviewed the video footage a few weeks later they revoked the red card and cleared the Armagh man'. That infers that they saw video evidence to clear him. They did see video evidence and upheld the red card. It was later that it was rescinded on a technicality.

No, Jordan didn't cheat. Could he have gotten straight up after he fell - possibly - I don't know nor does anyone else but Phillip.

ThroughTheLaces

Come on O'Neill you're better than this. This has really gone beyond nit picking. Anybody that's played will have had knocks and bumps through a game. It takes one hell of a box to ground a man and keep him grounded. To say that only Jordan knows if he could get back up is simply cringe-worthy. At the absolute worst he got 'pushed' in the face. It's gettin a bit farcical for me. Might call it a day at this.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

ONeill

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on May 13, 2012, 02:50:21 PM
Come on O'Neill you're better than this. This has really gone beyond nit picking. Anybody that's played will have had knocks and bumps through a game. It takes one hell of a box to ground a man and keep him grounded. To say that only Jordan knows if he could get back up is simply cringe-worthy. At the absolute worst he got 'pushed' in the face. It's gettin a bit farcical for me. Might call it a day at this.

A heavyweight boxer can get straight back up. What I mean is that only Jordan knows if he was hurt or not. If you got a box in the bake you'd probably stay grounded for a minute or so.

Zulu

Quote from: ONeill on May 13, 2012, 02:20:37 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 13, 2012, 01:41:53 PM

Why would Tyrone want their best player, talisman, top scorer and captain off the field for 5 minutes at a time when they were blitzing Kerry at the start of the game?

Entirely irrelevant post. I don't know if he had a cut or not and it matters not a whit. The point is he dived and/or exaggerated the effect of the collision, blood or no blood. You, and one or two others, are defending this using barroom 'lawering', with statements like the above. It's pointless continuing this discussion as we have all watched the video and have made up our own minds. My problem is that there is anyone who can view that video and conclude anything other than a dive since this probably means diving will become more prevalent in our game and attempts to punish diving after the fact will flounder on appeals based on BS like 'contact', 'losing balance' etc. But obviously some are happy for the game to go that way.

ONeill

Of course it's relevant. You claim he dived and embellished the effect of little contact. If that was the case, he would not have been removed from the field for minutes to get bandaged up. Canavan has shipped some heavy treatment in the past and played on. Therefore, the contact was a lot more telling (unintentionally) that you realise.

Again, you're being a little dramatic about the future of the game based on comments made on here.