Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AntrimRealist on June 13, 2018, 12:34:12 PM
I've asked this question a number of times on the county website without response.  Can someone explain the thinking behind the scheduling of league games less than 24 hours after the Down game.  Perhaps some consideration of player welfare might help player commitment.

Considering the effort put in, I'd say they were fit enough for the club matches  ;)

2% of the players controlling the games, managers playing their star players could give the others ago and bring on the rest if needs be?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Thastheball on June 13, 2018, 02:25:52 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2018, 01:47:36 PM
I've asked this question a number of times on the county website without response.  Can someone explain the thinking behind the scheduling of league games less than 24 hours after the Down game.  Perhaps some consideration of player welfare might help player commitment.

Considering the effort put in, I'd say they were fit enough for the club matches  ;)

2% of the players controlling the games, managers playing their star players could give the others ago and bring on the rest if needs be?

There you have it, utter and complete lack of respect in one post. Sacrificed there lives from January for Antrim, regardless of how it went, and for the fixtures committee not to have even the slightest awareness of player welfare is beyond contempt. Give respect, get respect my arse.

And you never got my post at all, I'm taking the piss with my first line ya muppet
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

I asked a member of the county fixtures about it last season and he told me that it was they could fit them in, taking both codes into account, availability of refs and other commitments. It's not an easy task I'd say, one that I wouldn't want to be honest.

AntrimRealist

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2018, 04:31:40 PM

There you have it, utter and complete lack of respect in one post. Sacrificed there lives from January for Antrim, regardless of how it went, and for the fixtures committee not to have even the slightest awareness of player welfare is beyond contempt. Give respect, get respect my arse.

And you never got my post at all, I'm taking the piss with my first line ya muppet

I'll assume that "bring on the rest if needs be" was also a piss take.  To have a situation where players and/or clubs are having to make a decision whether to play two games in 24 hours is pathetic.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AntrimRealist on June 13, 2018, 10:20:02 PM

I'll assume that "bring on the rest if needs be" was also a piss take.  To have a situation where players and/or clubs are having to make a decision whether to play two games in 24 hours is pathetic.

You point of view is pathetic! Player welfare? Players are far more conditioned nowadays than ever before, and more aware of their body's limits.. if a player plays when he's not fit then he's daft and so is his manager for playing him!

Clubs at senior level should be using the squad, if you think the leagues are top of the list then you're deluded.. championship is the be and end all.. plus why should 99% of club players sit around every year waiting on one/two players from their club so they get can actually play?

AntrimRealist

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2018, 10:36:06 PM
Quote from: AntrimRealist on June 13, 2018, 10:20:02 PM

You point of view is pathetic! Player welfare? Players are far more conditioned nowadays than ever before, and more aware of their body's limits.. if a player plays when he's not fit then he's daft and so is his manager for playing him!

Clubs at senior level should be using the squad, if you think the leagues are top of the list then you're deluded.. championship is the be and end all.. plus why should 99% of club players sit around every year waiting on one/two players from their club so they get can actually play?

I wasn't suggesting that they should sit around. My point is about less than 24 hours. That round of games could have been played the following Wednesday without any impact on county preparations for the qualifier game.  Everyone gets their matches and county players get a reasonable break.
If you are suggesting that county players do not play certain league games, put the proposal properly to clubs instead of putting it in the hands of individual players. 

Milltown Row2

We did it before and probably never give it a chance, it was called starred games and non starred games, and with the way things are going with the games coming so quick it may not be the worst idea, bring in play offs so that all the teams will have their one or two county players back and that will  help come deciding the leagues..

but spare me player welfare, burn out.. With no strength and conditioning done back in the day an average dual player was out possibly (or more) 3 games a week, plus training! Squads need to use all of its players, county players can opt out if they feel tired, looking to the strength of your squad can help come the buisness end of things.

With the name AntrimRealist, AntrimNegative sounds better ;)  we cant keep holding up all the games to suit county players, there are set nights for all the teams, not just senior, all the underage hurling/football, ladies and reserve teams need to be playing. We've only so many pitches and time slots plus referees to fit that all in, its a lot harder I'd imagine as PJ has said earlier to organise than you think

paddyjohn

It's a thankless task. Some clubs have only 1 pitch and take into consideration that clubs offer Football, Hurling, Camogie & Ladies Football from Un8 right up to senior, only so many hours in the day and days of the week.

Belfast GAA man

Anyone know when the new Belfast Regeneration Manager starts? Would be good to hear his plan....

angermanagement

October/November I think I read in the Irish News. Not sure if he's to work his notice with his current job.

You would've thought it would be better to start in August/September before the schools went back.

Milltown Row2

With the passion experience and job CV then I think we've certainly picked the best man for the job

Belfast GAA man

By all accounts he is a good get for the job which is heartening but October/November ! Hate to be a dark cloud on this but that's some notice period and we need urgency as we have yet another barren summer while we watch the all-ireland series unfold in front of our envious eyes :(

Dreen

Aye because if he started tomorrow we will be sorted by next April

Last Man

Urgent, why's that? We have slept through a slow decline, hit the wall and now its a crisis!! It is what it is. PD is as good a candidate there is and isn't one for going through the motions so my prediction is he will make a positive impact. My preference is suspend senior inter county until we put bricks and mortar under our aspirations, however long that takes. Lets make it about the club again. This isn't a fit for the current business model though.

Belfast GAA man

To the posters above of course the new initiative will take years to affect the adult scene but we don't have 4/5 months to wait that's all.

I'm looking forward to seeing PD in operation and disappointed its not happening sooner. Initiatives like this can lift other Antrim Gaels struggling to see the fruits of their work