Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 09, 2020, 09:00:46 PM
He doesn't seem to have a clue of his best team which is another problem.  Any word on how long Mooney is likely to be out for ?  Is Harrison even on the panel ?
will be lucky if mooney is back for the championship season by all accounts

Smurfy123

Harrison working away apparently but makes weekends. Can't see Mooney playing until next year. I just don't get why we are so defensive and the lads that runs on the pitch you could hear him shouting when Cork has the ball get back get back. Surely PT was brought in to do more than that? Spillane got it right in the paper Down will set up defensive but won't have enough up front to trouble Cork. I expected so much more from PT

sdg

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 09, 2020, 09:12:12 PM
Harrison working away apparently but makes weekends. Can't see Mooney playing until next year. I just don't get why we are so defensive and the lads that runs on the pitch you could hear him shouting when Cork has the ball get back get back. Surely PT was brought in to do more than that? Spillane got it right in the paper Down will set up defensive but won't have enough up front to trouble Cork. I expected so much more from PT
Don't know why u expected more from PT he's a defensive coach always has been, maybe that's why he never got the number 1 job in any other county

Smurfy123

He won an All Ireland with Tyrone and got Down to a final and also won a Sigerson with St Mary's. That's why I expected more from him. Yes he is a defensive coach but everyone has moved on. Did you not expect more from him or are you happy with what we are getting?

sdg

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 09, 2020, 09:28:53 PM
He won an All Ireland with Tyrone and got Down to a final and also won a Sigerson with St Mary's. That's why I expected more from him. Yes he is a defensive coach but everyone has moved on. Did you not expect more from him or are you happy with what we are getting?
no I did not expect more from him, did u watch St Mary's in the sigerson, 14 men back all the time. And he was only trainer for Tyrone and Down not making any decisions. And no I didn't want him in the 1st place as he sets his team up to not get beat, as opposed to win

CornUladh

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 09, 2020, 09:28:53 PM
Mickey Harte won 3 all irelands with Tyrone. The current Down manager was coach for the first in 2003 before Mickey dispensed with his services. He also won 1 Sigerson out of at least 15 attempts with an excellent team packed with excellent intercounty players and good club players.

Smurfy123

Corn what I'm saying is I expected more from him. A bigger bounce but it hasn't happened. I still think Down will gain promotion but the football is dreadful. Did you expect more from him?

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 09, 2020, 11:47:17 PM
Corn what I'm saying is I expected more from him. A bigger bounce but it hasn't happened. I still think Down will gain promotion but the football is dreadful. Did you expect more from him?
Question is. Do we have the players?  Down recycle ball time after time in the fwd line when in good scoring positions. Is this a fault of Tally ? Or because our fwds are not clinical enough infront of the posts. Look at our minors and u20's not exactly a conveyor belt of talent coming through.  What I have noted from Tallys time is Down now play to the final whistle they dont give up. I havent heard much from yesterday's game but I assume weather played a massive part in it and the lack of scoring forwards.

nrico2006

How many teams get promoted?  It doesn't look to likely at this stage that Down will go up.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Smurfy123

I would say it is his call that the forwards recycle the ball.
Snoopdog we are in division 3. Not so long ago in division 2 we were beating hallways Kildare Armagh Meath but now it's a struggle to beat teams in division 2. Don't buy that one were team plays to the end. Tyrone and Cork have comfortably beat us this year? Why didn't we play to the end?

snoopdog

Against Tyrone they clawed it back to be within 4 points.  Against Cork yesterday they did keep plugging away. So if not Tally who do you suggest? We got rid of a man who got us up to Div 1. Swapping and changing managers isn't going to get us anywhere. On paper the 3 toughest games are behind us. None of the remaining games are gimmes but Down are more than capable of winning them .

OgraAnDun

Quote from: snoopdog on February 10, 2020, 10:26:42 AM
Against Tyrone they clawed it back to be within 4 points.  Against Cork yesterday they did keep plugging away. So if not Tally who do you suggest? We got rid of a man who got us up to Div 1. Swapping and changing managers isn't going to get us anywhere. On paper the 3 toughest games are behind us. None of the remaining games are gimmes but Down are more than capable of winning them .

With the greatest respect to Longford, Louth, Leitrim and Offaly, but if we're only scraping past those four then we have no business in Div 2 (or Tier 1) anyway.

Smurfy123

Down will win all remaining games. My gripe with this is I was expecting so much more from a PT team. Underwhelmed is an understatement

nrico2006

I don't see how it can be a given that Down will definitely beat the remaining four teams.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Ambrose

I can't see us beating Longford, this ultra defensive set up just doesn't suit us. It's horrible to watch. Just over 1500 turned out to watch yesterday's game in one of the finest stadiums in the country. Outside of the top two or three teams in the country, football is by and large unwatchable.
You can't live off history and tradition forever