Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: NorthAntrim on November 19, 2023, 07:47:52 PM
Quote from: Delgany 2nds on November 18, 2023, 03:39:03 PMMotion 7
Naomh Éanna CLG proposes that prior to the commencement of league
competitions (Antrim GAA), all and any participants (i.e., counties including and
not limited to; Ard Mhacha, An Dún, Doire & Tír Eoghain), to provide a graded
list of county players that shall not be eligible for phase one games.

Ah OK I get this. Different counties have different rules regarding county hurlers. St endas hurling with 2 of Their stronger hurlers while the down lads are maybe allowed to hurl the sunday after representing down on the Saturday

If they played on the Saturday they are not allowed to play on the Sunday in Down, trust me I know.
If they were an unused sub and county management agree to allow them to play for their club the next day then that's the only avenue for the above scenario.
We also had to contend with 5 or 6 U20's not being allowed to play for the club if they'd a game the following Saturday with the county board line being that the county management get first preference until they are out of all competitions, split season and all that.

Currently we'd have three or four county senior players at best, so we'd not really be impacted that much, but the likes of Portaferry and Ballycran would be out seven or eight players due to the Down panel being picked from much less clubs than Antrim.

Fair play to St Enda's, they've truly cemented themselves as a Div1 team within the old system(s) which they deem to be so unfair on them and yes, the trick is staying there and you'll only do that by blooding young lads at this level.
We've a bigger bone of contention with the U20 thing than with the senior exclusion list if the truth be told for this very reason. We need to blood the young fellas and get them up to speed in phase 1 and build from there.

NorthAntrim

Also from St Endas Point of view. I get the county player argument as different teams have different rules. But as for the 1st round games being played in County antrim. What difference is there travelling to Ballygalget or Ballycastle on a Wednesday evening? The county usually handle the midweek fixtures well re this. Although I do recall seeing a North antrim team travelling to derry City for a 6.30 throw in early last year

NorthAntrim

Quote from: johnnycool on November 20, 2023, 09:26:45 AM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on November 19, 2023, 07:47:52 PM
Quote from: Delgany 2nds on November 18, 2023, 03:39:03 PMMotion 7
Naomh Éanna CLG proposes that prior to the commencement of league
competitions (Antrim GAA), all and any participants (i.e., counties including and
not limited to; Ard Mhacha, An Dún, Doire & Tír Eoghain), to provide a graded
list of county players that shall not be eligible for phase one games.

Ah OK I get this. Different counties have different rules regarding county hurlers. St endas hurling with 2 of Their stronger hurlers while the down lads are maybe allowed to hurl the sunday after representing down on the Saturday

If they played on the Saturday they are not allowed to play on the Sunday in Down, trust me I know.
If they were an unused sub and county management agree to allow them to play for their club the next day then that's the only avenue for the above scenario.
We also had to contend with 5 or 6 U20's not being allowed to play for the club if they'd a game the following Saturday with the county board line being that the county management get first preference until they are out of all competitions, split season and all that.

Currently we'd have three or four county senior players at best, so we'd not really be impacted that much, but the likes of Portaferry and Ballycran would be out seven or eight players due to the Down panel being picked from much less clubs than Antrim.

Fair play to St Enda's, they've truly cemented themselves as a Div1 team within the old system(s) which they deem to be so unfair on them and yes, the trick is staying there and you'll only do that by blooding young lads at this level.
We've a bigger bone of contention with the U20 thing than with the senior exclusion list if the truth be told for this very reason. We need to blood the young fellas and get them up to speed in phase 1 and build from there.

Fair enough I thought they maybe could play. St endas have 2

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: NorthAntrim on November 20, 2023, 09:27:03 AMAlso from St Endas Point of view. I get the county player argument as different teams have different rules. But as for the 1st round games being played in County antrim. What difference is there travelling to Ballygalget or Ballycastle on a Wednesday evening? The county usually handle the midweek fixtures well re this. Although I do recall seeing a North antrim team travelling to derry City for a 6.30 throw in early last year

Dont think that will happen this year. I think are Na Magha withdrawing from the Antrim leagues

SaffronSports

I felt Cushendall were starting to look comfortable early in the second half until they literally gave away a goal which lifted Portaferry when they looked done. The second mistake had Cushendall really chasing the game but thankfully Neil pulled another rabbit out of the hat.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on November 20, 2023, 09:33:35 AM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on November 20, 2023, 09:27:03 AMAlso from St Endas Point of view. I get the county player argument as different teams have different rules. But as for the 1st round games being played in County antrim. What difference is there travelling to Ballygalget or Ballycastle on a Wednesday evening? The county usually handle the midweek fixtures well re this. Although I do recall seeing a North antrim team travelling to derry City for a 6.30 throw in early last year

Dont think that will happen this year. I think are Na Magha withdrawing from the Antrim leagues

Would they get competitive games in derry?

imtommygunn

That's a pity as they have been in it for years.

NorthAntrim

Would that offer Gort na mona a lifeline or would it possibly promote ardoyne?

saffman

Regards u20 players being unavailable i totally agree.

I believe players develop more playing div 1 than u20 county..

Ive watched u20 boys finish strongly with their club
Looks promising for the following season to push on...
Then they're not seen by their club cause of u20 county, dont properly integrate with the club until post split and almost have to go through the kickstart process again

Saffron_sam20

Quote from: NorthAntrim on November 20, 2023, 12:10:35 PMWould that offer Gort na mona a lifeline or would it possibly promote ardoyne?

You'd like to think that the team coming up would get the chance, I know Ardoyne have been pushing the county to let them go up a div. Chatting to a fella plays for them few weeks ago was saying they are going to Limerick for a junior b comp but they dont know who they play yet so they are clearly serious bout pushing on

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 20, 2023, 12:07:43 PMThat's a pity as they have been in it for years.

To be honest they haven't progressed much in close to 20 years playing in Antrim.

The season before last they were one point above relegation.

I think its the travelling that would be the issue.

Looks like they are going to play in the Derry league.

imtommygunn

I think there may be more midweek travel than there used to be. There was a boy who used to be a very prominent poster who seems to have disappeared now and he was in their setup - he seemed to be indicating that.

It would be tough logistically speaking to get a squad of players to a lot of antrim venues on a weeknight if you're coming from derry.

SaffronSports

Dungannon didn't play in Antrim this year did they?

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on November 20, 2023, 12:29:07 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on November 20, 2023, 12:10:35 PMWould that offer Gort na mona a lifeline or would it possibly promote ardoyne?

You'd like to think that the team coming up would get the chance, I know Ardoyne have been pushing the county to let them go up a div. Chatting to a fella plays for them few weeks ago was saying they are going to Limerick for a junior b comp but they dont know who they play yet so they are clearly serious bout pushing on

AFAIK antrim teams travel to this every year

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NorthAntrim on November 20, 2023, 01:35:40 PM
Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on November 20, 2023, 12:29:07 PM

AFAIK antrim teams travel to this every year

Held on the day and a great incentive for clubs at junior b level
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea