Promoting other sports at our expense

Started by winsamsoon, June 08, 2008, 11:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Before the renegotiation of the TV rights did we not here about how RTE are the national broadcaster and the GAA should ensure that the national interest is served by giving RTE a preferred package.  Oh thats alright until Austria V Croatia is on the box. 

winsamsoon

You are lifting me up wrongly. I couldn't care if they show soccer all the time. But why do they have to cancel the coverage of the GAA which is a regular slot for the soccer. Sure i can turn round and say GAA people have the right to view all the games after all this is the biggest event of the gaelic sporting year. So that argument can be used both ways.

By all means watch the euro 2008, i actually watch it myself and have the odd punt on it but not at the expense of Gaelic. Oh and by the way there was only one live game on RTE and that was the hurling between Tiip and Cork. The other games were shown as highlights and on different channels.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

his holiness nb

I cant see why they dont show both. I mean what else is on that time of a sunday on rte 1?
Some poxy auld western or the likes.
Ask me holy bollix

thejuice

Which games were broadcast live online?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GalwayBayBoy

Rav67

I totally agree winsamoon, its not like everyone in Ireland hasn't got BBC and ITV anyway.  Tyrone Down game should have been shown live.

Tankie

Lads come on, its the finals of the second biggest soccer competition and you dont want RTE to show it? all these events are bought years in advance and should be shown. GAA has no right to be shown on RTE and there is a huge demand for these games. I would not be into soccer myself but i will be watching Italy tonight.
Grand Slam Saturday!

winsamsoon

You see tankie there you go proof reading posts and lifting them up the complete wrong way. No one is saying not to show the soccer, but it is bitterly unfair not to broadcast a sport that you do any other time just because there is a soccer tournament on. As one poster has suggested they could have shown both. then they could have got the best of both worlds. Instead they completely ignored Gaelic football and broadcast the soccer.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Tankie on June 09, 2008, 04:40:45 PM
I would not be into soccer myself but i will be watching Italy tonight.

Is that not the same as saying "I would not be into sequins and heels myself but I will be watching Strictly Come Dancing tonight"?  ;D ;D ;D

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 09, 2008, 05:11:09 PM
You see tankie there you go proof reading posts and lifting them up the complete wrong way. No one is saying not to show the soccer, but it is bitterly unfair not to broadcast a sport that you do any other time just because there is a soccer tournament on. As one poster has suggested they could have shown both. then they could have got the best of both worlds. Instead they completely ignored Gaelic football and broadcast the soccer.

Sure if they show both you'd get housewives up and down the country complaining that there is sport on both RTE channels at the same time. Until RTE sort out their digital service they are stuck in this regard.

In fairness to them deals are struck to show soccer tournaments like the World cup and Euros years in advance and they stick to them.

his holiness nb

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 09, 2008, 05:21:08 PM
Sure if they show both you'd get housewives up and down the country complaining that there is sport on both RTE channels at the same time.

Jaysus Galwayboy, the feminists wont like that statement!

Ask me holy bollix

winsamsoon

You never know the way things are going they could also screen the womens world cup and have the All Ireland final on deffered coverage.

his holiness nb

At the risk of sounding sexist, wouldnt a naked womens football tournament be great?
It would have to be played somewhere hot during the rainy season though.
Ask me holy bollix

Tankie

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 09, 2008, 05:29:51 PM
You never know the way things are going they could also screen the womens world cup and have the All Ireland final on deffered coverage.

Stop being such a drama queen,3 matches were shown yesterday on different tv stations which i think is more than fair.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Mike Sheehy

How does one distinguish when they are "promoting" something versus simply showing what people want. If the six o'clock news reports on an earthquake in China are they "promoting" earthquakes ?