Promoting other sports at our expense

Started by winsamsoon, June 08, 2008, 11:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Lads i came home from the club game today expecting to come in and watch the second half of the Tyrone game or the Dublin game on RTE. Only to see big face dumphy and co slabbering about Croatia and Austria. Yes that was Croatia and Austria. >:( >:( ???  (Before you say it i know the Dublin game was on TV3)

Now RTE make a killing every year of the GAA folk and they should stay loyal to these people. They promoted Soccer today instead of an Irish sport, Gaelic football. The GAA have let soccer and rugby into Croke and have cut their own throats, by marketing other sports. RTE have done the exact same today. What hope has Gaelic games when the national channel won't show quarter finals of leinster and Ulster games. Instead they will choose Croatia and Austria. They will soon not be showing the All Ireland final because azerbaijan are playing uzbekistan in a world cup qualifier.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Maguire01

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 08, 2008, 11:25:33 PM
The GAA have let soccer and rugby into Croke and have cut their own throats, by marketing other sports.

Yes, the €1m or so from each game in Croke Park is terrible. And if we hadn't let them in, then RTÉ wouldn't have showed soccer today - RTÉ didn't even know what soccer was until the GAA marketed it.  ::)

nobackdoor

Lads I think you're being a bit paranoid. 40,000+ at Pairc Ui Caoimh and more again at Croker. One cannot rest on ones laurels & the GAA must constantly promote its games, but I don't think the GAA were slighted today by RTE not showing a poor Leinster Q/F game. I think it's only a matter of time before people watching Man U get cheesed off with the likes of Ronaldo etc here today, gone tomorrow, but I must kiss the badge in between.  ;)
The backdoor has ruined it

Pangurban

winsamsoon

The point you other two lads are missing is the fact that RTE choose to broadcast a live soccer game over Gaelic games.

The national television company refusing to show our games is a disgrace. As a Gael i couldn't see any of the games on the television after i came in from my club game. All i could see was soccer, this is completely ludicrous and wouldn't happen in many other countries. I could see the BBC showing the All Ireland final instead of the FA cup.

thejuice

BBC showed the Tyrone-Down game and TV3 showed the Dublin game. maybe RTE didnt have the rights to show them, what are they supposed to do.

Did they have Cork Vs Tipp or Westmeath Vs Offaly?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

winsamsoon

BBC only showed the Tyrone game two hours after the game was over. RTE showed no games (including the Westmeath v offaly game on sat night)They showed highlights of the games only on sunday night. So gaelic games took a back seat for soccer and nothing else.

You ask me what i want them to do. I thought this is very obvious from my other posts. Show the gaelic games instead of showing Croatia play Autria which we have no allegiance too or relatively care about. For those that do care about the soccer then fair enough but the gaelic is broadcast every week and always has been so it should not change when the loyal viewers are still watching it.

stpauls

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 09, 2008, 12:16:58 PM
BBC only showed the Tyrone game two hours after the game was over. RTE showed no games (including the Westmeath v Tipp game on sat night)They showed highlights of the games only on sunday night. So gaelic games took a back seat for soccer and nothing else.

RTE2 showed the Cork - Tipp hurling game yesterday afternoon, and as stated before the Dublin - Louth game was shown on TV3.

his holiness nb

Jaysus, looks like the game in Cork was marketed too well yesterday!
Ask me holy bollix

winsamsoon

It doesn't matter whether they showed the Hurling because they usually show it plus a gaelic game at 4 like they are doing next week. This does not take away from the fact that RTE not TV3 choose to show a soccer game between Croatia and Austria before they would show either of the two provincial quarter finals. It's a joke that the national television channel won't show an Irish sport instead they punt for Croatia and Austria. I don't know how you guys can justify this.

Hound

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 09, 2008, 02:05:55 PM
It doesn't matter whether they showed the Hurling because they usually show it plus a gaelic game at 4 like they are doing next week. This does not take away from the fact that RTE not TV3 choose to show a soccer game between Croatia and Austria before they would show either of the two provincial quarter finals. It's a joke that the national television channel won't show an Irish sport instead they punt for Croatia and Austria. I don't know how you guys can justify this.
Bizarre that someone could have so little knowledge that they'd come up with this nonsense.

thejuice

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 09, 2008, 02:05:55 PM
I don't know how you guys can justify this.

speaking for myself, i dont have even a notion of interest in EuroSoccerThing and would rather see gaelic games but like any TV station RTE's main interest is in viewing figures, and they obviously decided that the soccer would draw a larger crowd than Offaly-Westmeath or Tyrone-Down. But they showed the hurling which was the biggest fixture of the day.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GalwayBayBoy

Like it or not there are a huge amount of soccer fans in Ireland who would have an interest in Euro 2008. Even with no Ireland there. It is after all the second biggest international tournament after the World Cup. And like it or not these people deserve to be catered for as much as anyone else.

There was two live GAA games on yesterday and one deferred one so I'm not sure what the complaint is? I don't believe RTE are under any obligation to favour GAA sports over other sports.

his holiness nb

Thats it, I'd prefer to see the GAA, but we have to realise theres huge amounts of people around the country that would prefer Euro2008.

That said tonights game should finally be one worth watching.
Ask me holy bollix

winsamsoon

Instead of just criticising other posts hound why don't you give a reason behind what you are saying. I think this is more constructive than sniping at others.

The GAA as a whole is an organisation that is competing with the likes of soccer and rugby. So whether we like it or not it has become a huge business. I am sitting back and watching over the past number of years the continued dilution of Irish culture and games. Granted the growth of the GAA has been staggering but this is starting to slow and other sports are starting to eclipse the GAA.

RTE doing what they done on sunday in no way helps the GAA. This is an organisation that has remained loyal to them. You say it is about viewing figures. I can guarantee there would have been as many people watching the Down/ Tyrone game as there would have been Croatia and Austria. Plus GAA fans will watch the coverage of the games week in week out, whether it be national league games or championship. RTE will see a steady numbers of gaels viewing the games. These soccer games are only on once in a blue moon at the same time as gaelic games yet they will hang the loyal gaels out to dry for a one off game. It stinks lads and only further isolates the Gaelic community aswell as eroding our culture and promoting foreign games.