International Rules Squad

Started by WT4E, November 11, 2015, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Not much interest among the Ulstherites and Rhus about this game it seems.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rodney trotter

Ony 4 in the Australian Squad who have never played International Rules, so they are taking it fairly serious unlike 2013. Last years game was a decent game. Ireland were slow to get going but made  a late fightback.

It should also help the attendance that the Australians are more keen.

BennyCake

That side is hardly the best 25 players in the country. I'd struggle to pick out quite a lot of those players. I'll be heading to the Railway cup games instead, which will have quite a lot more of the country's best players on show.

rodney trotter

The Irish Squad?. Thats the problem when people know nothing about players from the  Weaker counties. Every bit as good as players from Dublin etc.

Mickey Quinn a top player.

Zulu

Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2015, 06:37:27 PM
That side is hardly the best 25 players in the country. I'd struggle to pick out quite a lot of those players. I'll be heading to the Railway cup games instead, which will have quite a lot more of the country's best players on show.

Dunno about that now.

Beffs

It doesn't claim to be the best 25 players in the country. It is the best 25 players that are currently available. A lot of players would be still off away on club duty, or were on club duty too late to join the International Rules training panels, or are rehabbing from off season surgery, or are just in desperate need of a long off season rest.

There are nine All Stars from this year named on the panel, as well as all 3 Footballer of the Year nominees, as well as All Stars and AI medal winners from previous years. If you have a hard time picking all of them out, jayzus, get stronger glasses.  :o

rrhf

Terrible time for this.  Was taking a lorry load of kids but time wrong. Cold November evening.

Redhand Santa

The international rules was always good for allowing a few relatively unknown players from weaker counties a chance the shine on a bigger stage that they don't get with their county. So it's good to see players from Clare tipp and Longford included.

But there's plenty of top players involved with 9 of the current all stars and a few more nominees. Brogan Connolly McManus and ose have been among the top forwards in ireland over the last year.

Ireland are big underdogs but hopefully can put up a good showing and maybe even snatch a win versus a team of top professional athletes. The Irish players seem to panic sometimes when faced with the Aussie challenge but hoping they'll give it a proper go from the start this year.

Rossfan

Hope we get a close competitive game and an Irish win would be nice too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

Quote from: rrhf on November 18, 2015, 08:54:45 PM
Terrible time for this.  Was taking a lorry load of kids but time wrong. Cold November evening.

Croke Park in November, is generally a helluva lot warmer than Croke Park in February or March, when the league games are on. And the league games are grand, as long as you bundle up. Add in that there are indoor areas (such as the bar at the back of the Canal End) with heating and tables and chairs, its a grand warm spot to escape to for a picnic, before the game and at half time.

ONeill

It never recovered from time they took the Biff outta it.

Used to look forward to a slapping session. Now it's too serious with nothing unruly or edgy happening. A bit like marriage I suppose.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Where is Zach Tuohy, has always impressed in previous years..

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2015/0922/729472-tuohy-star/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BennyCake

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on November 18, 2015, 11:35:58 PM
It never recovered from time they took the Biff outta it.

Used to look forward to a slapping session. Now it's too serious with nothing unruly or edgy happening. A bit like marriage I suppose.

Him from Back to the Future? I don't remember him playing.

BennyCake

Quote from: Beffs on November 18, 2015, 07:39:56 PM

It doesn't claim to be the best 25 players in the country. It is the best 25 players that are currently available. A lot of players would be still off away on club duty, or were on club duty too late to join the International Rules training panels, or are rehabbing from off season surgery, or are just in desperate need of a long off season rest.

There are nine All Stars from this year named on the panel, as well as all 3 Footballer of the Year nominees, as well as All Stars and AI medal winners from previous years. If you have a hard time picking all of them out, jayzus, get stronger glasses.  :o

My gasses iss find, Biffo.

Fair do's. I think it's also because players look quite similar these days too. Buffed up, chisel-jawed, beardy types. 3 or 4 of that Dublin defence for instance, I can't tell the difference between them. No distinguishable features. Maybe that's just the modern man.