International Rules Series 2011

Started by yellowcard, May 05, 2011, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Fair enough, and I agree all sports are a matter of opinion but it seems ok to label IR as rubbish but not S/H. Judging by the crowds that attend both I'd say more people agree with me but sure IR bashing is a pastime for some around here.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on May 11, 2011, 01:06:25 PM
Fair enough, and I agree all sports are a matter of opinion but it seems ok to label IR as rubbish but not S/H. Judging by the crowds that attend both I'd say more people agree with me but sure IR bashing is a pastime for some around here.

All those TV ads advertising the hurling/shinty obviously are not having the desired effect.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Not to mention the attraction of pro players + the hope of a good ol' feast of knuckle sandwiches (to watch and to moan about later).

Anyone who saw Shane Dooley playing last year in the Shinty/Hurling last year will agree with me that it's much better. There was some great examples of first time hurling.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

That's because its shit. Also, there are far more than "some around here" who think that, the greatest football manager of the last twenty years for starters.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 11, 2011, 01:44:15 PM
That's because its shit. Also, there are far more than "some around here" who think that, the greatest football manager of the last twenty years for starters.

Never heard Jack O'Connor saying that  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Quote from: thejuice on May 11, 2011, 01:38:35 PM
Not to mention the attraction of pro players + the hope of a good ol' feast of knuckle sandwiches (to watch and to moan about later).

Anyone who saw Shane Dooley playing last year in the Shinty/Hurling last year will agree with me that it's much better. There was some great examples of first time hurling.

Ah right I've got ye now, nobody goes to the IR because they enjoy it or will see any breathtaking skills, they have a myriad of alternative excuses.  And the only reason people don't go the S/H is due to lack of advertising, nothing to do with the fact it's shit.

MH says some things I agree with and others I don't the fact he is an IR basher like a good few around is neither here nor there and adds no weight to whatever argument yer trying to make.

Hardy

It's not entirely unreasonable to suggest that greater the number of people who want to see something, the more shit it is likely to be. Consider Westlife, pro wrestling, Premiership soccer, public hangings in other days, etc.

Zulu

Quote from: Hardy on May 11, 2011, 02:56:32 PM
It's not entirely unreasonable to suggest that greater the number of people who want to see something, the more shit it is likely to be. Consider Westlife, pro wrestling, Premiership soccer, public hangings in other days, etc.

Not entirely unreasonable? I would suggest it is exactly that! Of course there are some things which are popular but lack quality and others which are ignored despite being brilliant but it is nonsense to try and correlate the two. If I was to accept your point then football and hurling are the worst sports in Ireland, elvis is no Craig David and the Sopranos is a poor mans Fair city.

thejuice

To be fair the IR wasn't always terrible but the last few years have been dire. Probably coincides with the time John McDermott stopped playing.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

laoislad

I agree with you Zulu. f**k the begrudgers I say.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on May 11, 2011, 04:56:41 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 11, 2011, 02:56:32 PM

Not entirely unreasonable? I would suggest it is exactly that! Of course there are some things which are popular but lack quality and others which are ignored despite being brilliant but it is nonsense to try and correlate the two. If I was to accept your point then football and hurling are the worst sports in Ireland, elvis is no Craig David and the Sopranos is a poor mans Fair city.

OK - I'll see your Elvis, GAA, Sopranos and I'll even throw in the Beatles. Now I'll raise you the Eurovision Song Contest and its 125 million viewers. And Jedward.

Zulu

We could go back and forth all night which only proves there is no correlation. Besides many intelligent, sane people think the premiership is very good, many watching the eurovision don't think it is any good but watch it because it is car crash tv and Westlife and jedward are popular amongst a certain section of society (14 year old girls and old women), they are not generally popular across a broad spectrum of society. In contrast the IR is and a bit like football itself it gets unfairly criticised.

Hound

Quote from: Zulu on May 10, 2011, 11:16:17 PM
The IR can be poor but it has also been great and whatever anyone can say about it it is at least a single game. The other thing is akin to a tennis player playing a badminton player with each games racquet. It's an utter nonsense.

Why would it be a nonsense for say the best tennis player to play the best badminton player?

If they agree on a ball, a court and a scoring system, and agree they could use whatever racquet they like, I'd say it could be a very interesting contest.

I enjoy the shinty international against the Scots.

I used to really enjoy the IR. When we won in Australia about 8 or 10 years ago (I guess), it was one of the sporting highlights of the year for me. Particularly remember the massive performances put in by Sean Marty and Fay - the passion and determination showed by them and their teammates was just super.

It was subsequently completely let down by refereeing standards in my opinion, and hasnt been much of a spectacle recently.

mick999

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2011/05/04/international-rules-%e2%80%98go-live%e2%80%99-after-tv-deal/9590

Sounds like the venues are not fully confimed yet :

"While the second test is almost certain to be played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, there is uncertainty over the location for the first clash, with Perth the most likely venue"

HeaveHo

Quote from: qz on May 11, 2011, 08:35:51 AM
GOLD Coast has put forward a bid to host one-half of the forthcoming International Rules series against Ireland in October as Carrara prepares for its return to the Australian sporting landscape.
With the Victorian Government considering an AFL proposal to help fund an Australia-Ireland game potentially on the eve of the Melbourne Cup carnival at Etihad Stadium, Gold Coast boss Travis Auld yesterday confirmed talks between the AFL and Queensland Major Events to host a second game.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/suns-want-irish-game-at-carrara-20110509-1eft8.html#ixzz1M0pX5oZq

Can't see the Gold Coast getting it - although the new AFL side on the Gold Coast are getting reasonable numbers to their "home" games the game wouldn't attract much of crowd up there which is still essentially rugby league heartland despite the AFL spending millions on promoting the game thereabouts.

The AFL have more money than sense - the new TV rights for next five seasons were signed up last week - $1.25 billion AUD for the next five years (or 938 million Euro at the current exchange rate).