Qualifiers

Started by wobbller, June 10, 2009, 03:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: jimbo on June 18, 2009, 12:29:30 PM
Do you honestly think if London is first out they will get home advantage?

Why not ?

County teams have to travel over every year for the League and Championship Pre Lim round - Why should it change now ? 
(I take it you're not from a county that has to live with the hassle and the expense of the regular trips unlike us unfortunates in the west, it looks like your starting to see the reality of what we go through each year)

Maguire01

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on June 18, 2009, 01:16:34 PM

Why not ?

County teams have to travel over every year for the League and Championship Pre Lim round - Why should it change now ? 
(I take it you're not from a county that has to live with the hassle and the expense of the regular trips unlike us unfortunates in the west, it looks like your starting to see the reality of what we go through each year)
Eh, just how many "unfortunates in the west" undertake that expense?

Fluffysocks

anyone read micky harte's view on the structure of the qualifiers in the irsih news? very sensible, fair and reasoned plan.
if someone can post it up here it wud be great
ps he has too much time to himself lol

jimbo

Why not ?

Because the match is 6 days after the draw, hardly a big earner for the GAA, how many from the other 15 counties are going to mass book easyjet at such short notice?

Main Street

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on June 18, 2009, 11:42:15 AM
the above is the latest info (as per GAA.ie) and what will be implemented on Sunday !
Unless Meath lodge a fast last minute appeal and the GAA change its mind.

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 18, 2009, 01:24:09 PM

Are you for real - All Connacht Counties of course  !
i.e. Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim

And before you ask County boards are out of pocket due to the trips even though they are subsidised  - not to mention the loss of time to Squad members & back room due to the extra distance and over nighting.

AFS

Quote from: jimbo on June 18, 2009, 01:34:18 PM

Why not ?

Because the match is 6 days after the draw, hardly a big earner for the GAA, how many from the other 15 counties are going to mass book easyjet at such short notice?

13 days. Plenty of ways to get across the water, those that want to will well be able to find a reasonable way to do so in 2 weeks.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Why not ?

My recollection is that in previous years London were always away in the qualifiers (they played at Parnell park amongst other places). I assumed this was a quid pro quo given that they were always at home in the Connacht Championship. Seems that's not going to be implemented this year. Ridiculous that there's so much confusion about whether Down and Meath have a home draw or not. Don't think they should have messed about with this talk of teams not playing away 2 years in a row, especially when that side might have gotten a home draw in the provincial championships. Just leave it to Lady Luck!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Main Street

I wouldn't be too averse to an away pairing with London.

I would gladly put a few coppers into the county coffers for that one ;D

Maguire01

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on June 18, 2009, 01:52:10 PM

And before you ask County boards are out of pocket due to the trips even though they are subsidised  - not to mention the loss of time to Squad members & back room due to the extra distance and over nighting.
I had assumed you were referring to fans. I was basing my comment on the lack of any real attendance at these games by travelling fans.

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 18, 2009, 05:28:28 PM
Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on June 18, 2009, 01:52:10 PM

I had assumed you were referring to fans. I was basing my comment on the lack of any real attendance at these games by travelling fans.

fair point !

stevecw

Roscommon come into this in 2nd round right?

Maybe Carlow might even have a long summer ahead if we get 2 nice draws. A London/Wicklow/Waterford/Clare at home would be great tomorrow. And then a game v Roscommon in round 2 would be the draw everyone wants after seeing the state of them today!

Some team is going to get very lucky and get a draw like that, and be in 3rd round without playing anyone even half decent.

Bogball XV

Quote from: stevecw on June 21, 2009, 12:12:56 AM

Maybe Carlow might even have a long summer ahead if we get 2 nice draws. A London/Wicklow/Waterford/Clare at home would be great tomorrow. And then a game v Roscommon in round 2 would be the draw everyone wants after seeing the state of them today!

Some team is going to get very lucky and get a draw like that, and be in 3rd round without playing anyone even half decent.
sure wicklow would kill ye boys steve  ::)

stevecw

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 21, 2009, 12:28:34 AM

I hope thats a joke!! Wicklow are shockingly bad. And in 2nd last game in league they came to Carlow needing a win to get promoted and we bet them by 5 pts!! They then lost to Sligo too and stay in div 4!!! ;D ;D

Maguire01

Quote from: stevecw on June 21, 2009, 05:38:23 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on June 21, 2009, 12:28:34 AM

I hope thats a joke!! Wicklow are shockingly bad. And in 2nd last game in league they came to Carlow needing a win to get promoted and we bet them by 5 pts!! They then lost to Sligo too and stay in div 4!!! ;D ;D
Yes, but that's the league. Their Championship defeat to Westmeath was a narrow one.