Qualifiers

Started by wobbller, June 10, 2009, 03:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

When is the draw for the 1st Round?

INDIANA

I don't think its until the provincial semis are all played.

meathie

draw on the 21st June I think

thejuice

So whose going into the drum now then some big names in there already, Kerry, Armagh, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Meath. Could be some interesting clashes early on.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

cavan4ever

Quote from: thejuice on June 14, 2009, 09:10:26 AM
So whose going into the drum now then some big names in there already, Kerry, Armagh, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Meath. Could be some interesting clashes early on.

I may be wrong but i think Kerry arent in the first qualifer round.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 14, 2009, 10:17:27 AM
Quote from: thejuice on June 14, 2009, 09:10:26 AM

I may be wrong but i think Kerry arent in the first qualifer round.

They definitely aren't.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

carnaross

Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Zulu

No I think Kerry go into the drum in the second round because they are beaten semi finalists not a beaten first round team. As far as I know Kerry, Clare, Mayo/Ros, Gal/Sligo, Derry/Tyrone etc. will join the winners of the first round in the second round of qualifiers.

Rossfan

First Round ---
London/Leitrim
Tipp/Waterford
Down/Armagh/Monaghan/Fermanagh/Donegal
Louth/Meath/Longford/Offaly/Wexford/Wicklow/Carlow.

In Round 2 awaiting the winners of Round 1
Kerry/Clare
Ros or Mayo/Sligo or Galway
Cavan or Antrim/Tyrone or Derry
Dublin or Westmeath/Kildare or Laois.

I'm looking forward to watching the Mayo v Kerry 2nd Round game the evening before the Connacht Final  :P

Please Lord  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

jimbo

Quote from: carnaross on June 14, 2009, 11:17:12 AM
Why?

Because Cork already played a match.  ::)  By that reckoning Fermanagh should be in the 2nd Round qualifiers!!!

Rossfan

Only losing Semi Finalists ( and of course first round Qlfr winners) make Round 2.

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2009, 06:55:49 PM
First Round ---
London/Leitrim
Tipp/Waterford
Down/Armagh/Monaghan/Fermanagh/Donegal
Louth/Meath/Longford/Offaly/Wexford/Wicklow/Carlow.

In Round 2 awaiting the winners of Round 1
Kerry/Clare
Ros or Mayo/Sligo or Galway
Cavan or Antrim/Tyrone or Derry
Dublin or Westmeath/Kildare or Laois.

I'm looking forward to watching the Mayo v Kerry 2nd Round game the evening before the Connacht Final  :P

Please Lord  ::)

You should be doing novenas that its not ye are not drawn against Kerry in Killarney and facing another stuffing along the lines ye will get from us next Saturday. Ye might be wishing that ye had lost to Leitrim and that Tipp or Waterford would have put ye out of yer misery in round 1 and out of the public spotlight. Sometimes ye are to be pitied.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Barney

Do the winners of Round 1 have to play one of the losing semi-finalists? (just checking for the Ros lads like). 8)

Rossfan

Some eccentric stuff from Stolensheep :-

"This auld craic goes on and on, his friend saying anything to avoid green eggs and ham...

T'was around this stage that I lost track of the purpose of the poem - which was to put the wee 'uns to sleep. Something started to happen, and like the classic insane case that I am didn't I start to see hidden meanings in the children's verse.

It started off with the illustrations. The first thing I noticed was our poor friend who was scared witless of the "green eggs and ham."

Yes, our poor primrose friend was wearing the Roscommon colours.

This was interesting I thought. Why I wondered was our Rossie friend so afraid of the green eggs and ham?

And then it hit me. Right on the head. Did the green eggs and ham not represent Mayo? Did they not signify the Mayo jersey, for green eggs and ham would be that colourish. And further, 2001 notwithstanding, did this great work not summarise the order of things, post 1980, between our two counties and the inferiority complex we seem to possess when confronted with green eggs and ham?

Well now the auld gligeen really started into it. I was on fire now - as hard as it was to think about such things - and there was no stopping me. If our reluctant friend was a Rossie, and "Green Eggs and Ham" was Mayo, who was "Sam-I-Am" but Sam Maguire himself - and the words I read on the page were no longer those of the boul' Dr. Seuss. It was no longer "would you, could you in a car?" but:

Would you beat them from a-far?
Would you, could you in Castlebar?

No, I would not beat them from a-far
I could not beat them in Castlebar

You may beat them. You will see.
You may beat them in 2003!

I would not, could not in 2003.
Not in Castlebar! You let me be!
I could not beat them here or there.
I could not beat them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.

It was a startling discovery sure enough, the kind of insight that could only be arrived at by the mind of a natural genius. Here encaptured in a children's poem was nothing less than the pitiful history, the awful encounters between Mayo and Roscommon over the last twenty years. And sorry reading it made.

But this is not a sad tale. Unlike many of the games between Mayo and Roscommon in recent memory, the ending offers hope, for the original Dr. Seuss poem had a nice little twist and indeed important moral at the end:

You do not like them.
So you say.
Try them! Try them!
And you may.
Try them and you may, I say.

Sam!
If you will let me be, I will try them.
You will see.

It's a remarkable sea change for our friend. The message is clear from Dr. Seuss. Get rid of the psychological fear and don't be afraid to try new things. You might just be surprised what happens. And so our Rossie friend overcomes his fear of Green Eggs and Ham. His belief in himself renewed, he also hopes to represent his county one day and was even heard to say:

I will beat them near and far
I WILL BEAT them in castlebar
And I will beat them here and there.
Say! I will beat them ANYWHERE!

And right then I was back in 1980. Connacht Final. I jumped as Mickey Finneran put the ball into the back of the net...

I woke up then to some scolding from herself and a clatter of the book across me poor head. She fecked me out of it and sent me out into the cold without as much as a cup of tay to clean the shed...

C'mon the Ros!

Not sure what it all means but we certainly dont want ye're pity Mayomick.

muppet

The above is the answer to the question 'why do umpires wear white coats?'.
MWWSI 2017